Makes me sick... Topic

...to see Ray Lewis hoist the Lombardi Trophy. I think I'd rather see Brady holding it at this point. I really wish the final image of his career was him crying on the sidelines in defeat.
2/3/2013 11:25 PM
Eh, the media over-exposure is the only thing that bothers me. I don't give a crap whether some athlete is a terrible human being, or a great one.
2/4/2013 12:46 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 2/4/2013 12:46:00 AM (view original):
Eh, the media over-exposure is the only thing that bothers me. I don't give a crap whether some athlete is a terrible human being, or a great one.
Other than the two dead kids at the hands of his posse, I agree.

I was surprised that during the game, Jim Nantz actually acknowledged it in a little more detail beyond the usual "unfortunate incident in Atlanta".
2/4/2013 6:47 AM
How many high profile athletes in a PED scandal get to sweep it under the rug so quickly and completely?
2/4/2013 8:17 AM
Posted by edsortails on 2/4/2013 8:17:00 AM (view original):
How many high profile athletes in a PED scandal get to sweep it under the rug so quickly and completely?
When they are football players?  All of them.
2/4/2013 8:29 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by edsortails on 2/4/2013 8:17:00 AM (view original):
Deer antler spray should hardly be a PED scandal.

http://www.antlerx.com/
2/4/2013 8:37 AM
If it's a banned substance, it's illegal.  But it sounds like a he said, she said incident.  So, whatever.
2/4/2013 8:53 AM
I have trouble with OTC products being on a banned list. 

Not defending Lewis, there's plenty of things to hate on him about, but this going away quickly seems appropriate.

Hell, Goodell said he wanted him as a special assistance.   Shows how much Goodell cares about antler spray.
2/4/2013 8:56 AM
Posted by bistiza on 2/4/2013 8:34:00 AM (view original):
The NFL wanted Ray Lewis to win the Super Bowl in his final season. There is no other explanation for the non-call on fourth down. The 49ers are driving, sure they should have converted before 4th down and got the TD, but the defender held his man all the way into the end zone which is beyond the five yards. I'm with Jim - it was clearly holding, but the refs held the flag.

"Let them play" people say, but that ruined what otherwise could have been a tremendously exciting ending. Say 49ers get the TD and convert the 2 and go up by 3, Ravens hit an FG at the end of regulation, first overtime SB ever. Possibility was killed with that non-call which was clearly blown by the refs. I guess that's par for the course in a season that started with replacement refs and that joke of a Seattle Green Bay game.
It's questionable whether the ball was even catchable.  Nobody seems to be considering that.
2/4/2013 8:56 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/4/2013 8:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 2/4/2013 8:34:00 AM (view original):
The NFL wanted Ray Lewis to win the Super Bowl in his final season. There is no other explanation for the non-call on fourth down. The 49ers are driving, sure they should have converted before 4th down and got the TD, but the defender held his man all the way into the end zone which is beyond the five yards. I'm with Jim - it was clearly holding, but the refs held the flag.

"Let them play" people say, but that ruined what otherwise could have been a tremendously exciting ending. Say 49ers get the TD and convert the 2 and go up by 3, Ravens hit an FG at the end of regulation, first overtime SB ever. Possibility was killed with that non-call which was clearly blown by the refs. I guess that's par for the course in a season that started with replacement refs and that joke of a Seattle Green Bay game.
It's questionable whether the ball was even catchable.  Nobody seems to be considering that.
I don't understand helmet to helmet rules - on 3rd down, Crabtree (I think) lost the ball when the defender hit him helmet to helmet.  I had thought that would have been 1st down on the penalty.  But nobody is talking about that.

On 4th, they were both wrestling for position, and while I would have thrown a flag, defenders were getting away with that stuff all game, so I was ok with the no-call.  I think he has a chance to catch it if he's untouched; I wouldn't have held the flag for that reason.  

Better question - How is the last play of a game a fade?  I know a big blitz was on, but I would have had a better option there.
2/4/2013 9:02 AM
That was a route.   I'm not sure that was the only option until it became apparent that nothing else would have time to develop.
2/4/2013 9:07 AM

Holding should be called no matter what - the ball doesn't even have to be thrown in that guy's direction for it to be holding. Half the distance, 1st down. No way that should not have been called.
Better question - How is the last play of a game a fade?  I know a big blitz was on, but I would have had a better option there.
Jim probably thought there was a good chance of a completion or a penalty - except the penalty he expected never came even though it was obvious.

Still, I agree. With Kapernick back there, they could have run some kind of fake at least. Sure, the defense is sitting on pass, but if a guy like that seems like he's going to pull down and run it in, they have to honor it some. Fake a run and then pass, or even fake the pass and have him run around the end. Everyone saw how fast he can move on the previous TD - give him a shot to beat someone to the corner, even if that someone is fast too. It would have worked better than that pass, and maybe scored.

2/4/2013 9:11 AM
There was also a holding on Torrey Smith in the first half that would have been a touchdown. Probably a worse call.
2/4/2013 9:12 AM

I am just happy a man so on page with the Lord as Ray Lewis is won. What a storybook ending to a career. God is great!

2/4/2013 9:14 AM
1|2|3...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.