Merge All Aliases Topic

WARNING!!! The prior message has been posted by a phony A-Hole.
2/10/2013 4:52 PM
Mike, your prior response would make more sense if they were actually bringing in new owners. As it is, they should just give everyone half price teams.
2/11/2013 12:51 AM
The problem is that you can't tell aliases from n00bs(you admitted this).  You're assuming aliases.   Maybe they are n00bs.

2/11/2013 10:48 AM
For not the first time, *I* can't, but WiS can. Thus the request to merge them.
2/11/2013 1:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/10/2013 10:52:00 AM (view original):
Aliases pay money.   If they're not causing an issue, why would WifS want to eliminate them?

WifS is a business.
I'll just refer back to this.
2/11/2013 3:06 PM
Even WIS can't always tell. If my 12 year old decides he wants to play I am not getting him his own credit card and a new computer. He will be using the same PC I use and I will be paying with the same card I use to pay for my account.
2/11/2013 3:19 PM
And if my son wants to play, I have him use crickett's credit card as well.
2/11/2013 3:24 PM
If credit card is how they're going to track it, I'll just send my aliases GCs.   If you're tracking by IP address, well, am I supposed to buy new computers for each of my 9 sons who play HBD?
2/11/2013 3:33 PM
How do they determine aliases now when they remove them for dual ownership? This is an assumption, but precisely because this is a business, I doubt that WiS would kick owners out of a world without strong enough evidence to support that the same person is running 2 teams. Our old pal in Williams raidermike could have been raidermike and five of his brothers or kids?
2/11/2013 5:16 PM

I assuming it's credit cards AFTER someone reports funny business.    Which goes back to "If they're not doing anything wrong, who cares?"

2/11/2013 5:30 PM
In that case, it gets reported and they can investigate situation individually - look at activity, contact the user, etc.  And in general, when it gets reported, it's because there's behavior that's been committed that would be improper even if there were 2 unique users involved.   You're asking them to go through their entire user database at one time to identify and merge, and then to continue to monitor that constantly.  We're talking about a much bigger effort.
2/11/2013 5:31 PM
Yes, I realize that, Al. If I didn't think it was an important enough issue, I wouldn't request that (I don't expect that anything at all is going to happen, FWIW).
2/11/2013 8:44 PM
Jeezus, Mike. You keep going back to "if they're not doing anything wrong..." as if obvious collusion is the only way that aliases can be damaging. Assuming that were even true, by the time they are caught, I'm sure some damage has already been done in many cases.
2/11/2013 8:46 PM

I just went and checked the three "new" owners in Hall of Fame (mentioned earlier) who signed up right before taking teams there. No other history. 2 of them so far are checking in (or at least have today). The profile that took over my old team has not signed in for 5 days and counting. They are in FA/Coach signing. I think regardless of our opinions on the alias issue, we'd agree that's certainly not good for that team, but it isn't good for a competitive world, either. I have seen this sort of behavior enough to believe it is an alias and it is being used only to fill that world so they can play. Before long, they'll need a replacement for an "abandoned" team. That sort of thing is damaging in a way not related to collussion and not as immediatly noticable as a lospided trade.

Pointing that out more to counter the idea that "they're not doing anything wrong" if they aren't reported for collussion.

2/11/2013 9:18 PM
We had one of those in one of my worlds, and I'm pretty confident that it wasn't an alias - if you're putting in an alias to fill the world, it's counterproductive to immediately abandon it and screw the team over.  I'm sure that with first season price so low, people are much more likely to impulse buy it, and then bail.  I also suspect that a bunch of these "new" users are existing users who legitimately want to pick up a new team in a world they aren't in, but create a new account to take advantage of that first season price.  That's not to say that what you're suggesting doesn't happen at all, but I also don't necessarily think there's this massive new rush of alias abuse that would merit the kind of effort you're talking about on WIS's part to police.
2/11/2013 9:41 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Merge All Aliases Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.