who do you know Topic

Posted by Bootone on 2/13/2013 11:29:00 AM (view original):
Well living in Arizona, it seems like everyone is a celebrity.

I'b better put the boss at the top of the list. Todd McFarlane - cartoonist, created comicbook character Spawn, toy manufacturer and probably best known in baseball for buying Mark McGwire's 70th homerun ball and Barry Bond's 73rd ball.

Played college baseball with Oddibe McDowell. One of the nicest guys...

Played softball with basketball player Dan Majerle, baseball players Greg Minton, Ron Davis, Ken Rudolph, Billy Parker, Scott Lydy, Chris Beasley, Kevin Bell, and Luis Medina. My favorite softball play of all time... Ron Davis playing 1st base with a guy on first... left handed batter hits ball in shortstop hole, shortstop makes the play and hits Ron Davis on a dead sprint  with a throw to force the runner at 2nd base. Yeah... you should have seen it.

Back in the 1990's I got to help out with some Dream Games that pitted old world series teams against each other. 1965 Dodgers and Twins (picked up Mudcat Grant at the airport... sat in the hotel lounge and chatted baseball for a while. Helped out Tony Olivia with a batting clinic... you should see how crooked his leg really is. 1976 Cincinnati Reds and New York Yankees... got to help Mickey Rivers with an outfield clinic... I don't think the kids had any idea what he was saying. Had a great chat with pitcher Grant Jackson too.

Played in a golf outing with Curt Schilling and Luis Gonzalez. Love Luis Gonzalez, but boy can I tell you a few stories about him. I also got to chat with Curt when he was in our office working with Todd on Curt's ill-fated computer game... the one that put him in bankruptcy.

Gene Simmons and the other members of KISS have been in the office. Jamie Foxx and the guy who played Napoleon Dynamite, Jon Heder have also been in the office. I didn't get to talk with them, but it was still cool to see them in person.

You work for Todd McFarlane? Still have my Spawns from back in the day. Freaking sweet.
2/13/2013 10:11 PM
My highschool basketball coach was the correct answer to the trivia question, "Who started LF in the Arizona Diamondbacks first game?"

I've met me.

Thats about all I got...
2/14/2013 4:06 AM
But you are well worth knowing BL. 
2/14/2013 5:46 AM
TJ, I wouldn't know the name of the HS baseball-football coach - or at least I wouldn't remember it after all these years. It was James Caldwell High School in New Jersey. ACTUALLY IT WAS NOT JAMES CALDWELL - IT WAS MY FIRST HIGH SCHOOL, BEFORE WE MOVED TO THE NEXT TOWN OVER - IT WAS WEST ESSEX HIGH SCHOOL, I NOW SEE HAVING FOUND A SHORT BIO OF BRADLEY. I GET WHO WAS AT WHICH OF THE TWO SCHOOLS CONFUSED SOMETIMES. 

CAN'T FIND MUSSARI ON GOOGLE AS HAVING BEEN OUR COACH THEN, BUT AGAIN IT IS POSSIBLE. 

2/14/2013 10:29 AM (edited)
One of the guys I used to work for always talked about Bradley.    Said it was the easiest State Title he ever won.
2/14/2013 6:16 AM
Trentonjoe, I realize I got which it was out of my two high schools (we moved early in my junior year over to the next town and a different school district)  - Scott Bradley was at West Essex High School. I should have realized that, because I remember that he and I both made predictions in class one time, as Yankees fans, of the then upcoming 1976 World Series - I, remembering the Miracle Mets, predicted that the Yankees would find a way to beat the Big Red Machine, but Scott was more realistic and picked the Reds to win. I was still at WEHS in 1976, as we moved that November. 

Mussari I don't remember and while I find his name Googling it, I don't find any connection to either school, which means little, since stuff before the 90s is not always easily traceable on the internet. 
2/14/2013 10:32 AM (edited)
I played softball with Boog Powell in his post-playing days. He had put on a ton of weight but could hit he football a mile. In a more recent time, Jeff Juden dated a good friend of mine for a summer before he made it to the bigs.
2/14/2013 2:06 PM
jeff juden, the pride of salem, Ma for a year
2/14/2013 2:07 PM
Didn't Boog have a barbecue place ? 
2/14/2013 3:07 PM
I went to grammar school ( Holy Innocents) with John Candelaria. I caught every game he pitched until he graduated.
I sparred with Nick Fotiu, when he was an enforcer for the Rangers.
One night in Greensboro, NC, I was with some friends in a topess club, got drunk, and tried to pick a fight with Haywood Jeffires. He was totally a class act, my pals calmed me down, and Jeffires bought us all drinks and lap dances the rest of the night.
I sold Richard Petty a washer and dryer.
Gil Hodges was an assistant coach of a baseball team I played on.

2/14/2013 3:32 PM
Didn't you sell Joe Dimaggio a newspaper in between lap dances for 7 cents or something?
2/14/2013 6:29 PM
Posted by italyprof on 2/14/2013 3:07:00 PM (view original):
At the ballpark, still does.  He's usually there during games, or at least very often.  I think usually is a fair characterization.  He'll chat with pretty much anybody buying barbecue who wants to talk.  Good barbecue, too, at least by ballpark food standards.  Unfortunately the price is also on ballpark standards...
2/15/2013 12:08 AM
My dad was a co-worker of Ken Anderson's (Cincinnati Bengals QB, Super Bowl XVI) father. He used to have to cover for him when he took long weekends to go to Bengals playoff games. 
2/15/2013 12:55 AM
so you want to know who I met:? or who I know. I've met Neil Armstrong and Alan Shepard.   I've met George Bush I.   i know Kirk Gibson and played against Magic Johnson.   The list can go one,
2/15/2013 5:36 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/15/2013 12:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by italyprof on 2/14/2013 3:07:00 PM (view original):
At the ballpark, still does.  He's usually there during games, or at least very often.  I think usually is a fair characterization.  He'll chat with pretty much anybody buying barbecue who wants to talk.  Good barbecue, too, at least by ballpark food standards.  Unfortunately the price is also on ballpark standards...
will he sign?
2/15/2013 5:36 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
who do you know Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.