Never been able to pull a guy down... Topic

Posted by hookemhorns7 on 2/22/2013 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Ok I know I have seen something about it somewhere but if I get a message from a recruit that says "I am a  backup" do I have a chance to sign him as long as no one jumps him?
In D2, one thing I consider on this is the likelihood that a D1 school may grab the guy.   That's a combination of his core ratings, potential and location.  I've had solid D2 players considering me but which i didn't think were D1-caliber and still some D-prestige D1 school might come along and grab him to fill out their roster.   At that point, prestige is meaningless.  You can't compete with a D1 war chest.  You can leave your name on him in case the D1 school drops him, but barring that you're better off looking elsewhere.

It's a risk you take, but it's worth it.  If you've identified your "sweet spot" ratings range as referenced in a post above, and a guy you want gives you the backup message, just send him 10 scouting trips and an offer and then wait for his response.  Don't send more than that until he either procrastinates or another school joins the battle.  If he's just being stubborn, I typically send more STs in groups of 6 per cycle.  Once he considers you, don't use STs and go with HV or CV instead.

I've heard of coaches spending as many as 35+ STs on a pulldown but I think the most I've ever used was 25.  And once you get to A+ prestige you'll start seeing a lot of those "pulldowns" as D2 eligibles you can recruit with a couple of home visits + offer instead of STs.

2/24/2013 12:47 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 12
Never been able to pull a guy down... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.