Never been able to pull a guy down... Topic

Greetings:

I'm a pretty mediocre HD D3 coach in I think my sixth season. Every recruiting season I find a D2 guy or two who is 50 miles away (or less) and shoot him a note, and only once have I even received a response back - I think it was hysterical laughter.

Is there a minimum prestige you need to pull a guy down? I've managed to claw my way to a C+. If there is a way to increase the likelihood that I get a backup message, please let me know.

2/18/2013 12:22 PM
there is not minimum prestige. c- can pull down. however, within 70 miles just gives you a BONUS, and there are NOT many recruits within 70 (or 50) miles. there is nothing special about the 50 mile mark, although some coaches say teh closer within 70 miles, the higher chance someone will talk to you, but ive never checked that myself.

anyway, the trick is to send a bunch of guys calls. i used to send a couple HUNDRED per season, but now that FSS exists, i probably only send like, 50. try sending out calls to anyone who looks decent in d2, who is like, bottom half by overall rating or so, and you'll get some yesses back.
2/18/2013 12:33 PM
If you get the back up message they are pullable, the key to pulling down is Scouting trips. They won't reject them like HV or CV. You may have to do 50 or more and there is the risk they never come down but that's the way to pull down.Do them 5 or so per cycle. If you succeed the message will change from back up option to tell me more or one of the other messages that confirm they will consider you.
2/18/2013 1:13 PM
You might be reaching too high for your D2 guys -- do a D3 search for 4-year players and take note of the highest overall rating that appears on that list. Add 25 points to that number and that's the upper end rating you can probably realistically expect to get a backup message from on a local D2 prospect, so if the highest rating nationally on your D3 screen is 450, I'd fire off a note to anyone inside my 300-mile circle whose rating is 475 or less (actually, I'd extend a point or two beyond this, but I've never had a kid beyond the (D3max + 25) range give me the time of day...I'm still hoping for the day I get confirmation that I can expand that range further).
2/18/2013 2:37 PM
Really helpful stuff, guys. I was doing it all wrong - just sending one message to a guy who probably was out of reach....
2/18/2013 3:11 PM
As a little more help, I always start recruiting by calling DII-caliber recruits' coaches. In my experience, they will ALWAYS respond and always give you a straight answer, plus sometimes info on the kid's knowedge of their off/def. I got tired of calling recruits and getting bogus feedback and having many calls go unanswered. Even if you only talk with the coach, someone will still let you know when he drops.
2/21/2013 9:33 AM (edited)
check this out - if you have questions, post here or you can sitemail me...

Pulldown Guide
2/21/2013 6:35 AM
Never mind :p
2/21/2013 5:54 PM
Posted by ryanderson on 2/21/2013 9:33:00 AM (view original):
As a little more help, I always start recruiting by calling DII-caliber recruits' coaches. In my experience, they will ALWAYS respond and always give you a straight answer, plus sometimes info on the kid's knowedge of their off/def. I got tired of calling recruits and getting bogus feedback and having many calls go unanswered. Even if you only talk with the coach, someone will still let you know when he drops.
+1
2/21/2013 6:07 PM
Posted by rsvphr on 2/18/2013 1:13:00 PM (view original):
If you get the back up message they are pullable, the key to pulling down is Scouting trips. They won't reject them like HV or CV. You may have to do 50 or more and there is the risk they never come down but that's the way to pull down.Do them 5 or so per cycle. If you succeed the message will change from back up option to tell me more or one of the other messages that confirm they will consider you.
The most I have ever had to do is 25, and that was really unusual.usually if I do 15, they will be considering me the next cycle, and often you can do 10 and it will be enough.

2/21/2013 10:37 PM
If you want to get your money's worth...call the coach...
2/22/2013 12:32 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/18/2013 12:33:00 PM (view original):
there is not minimum prestige. c- can pull down. however, within 70 miles just gives you a BONUS, and there are NOT many recruits within 70 (or 50) miles. there is nothing special about the 50 mile mark, although some coaches say teh closer within 70 miles, the higher chance someone will talk to you, but ive never checked that myself.

anyway, the trick is to send a bunch of guys calls. i used to send a couple HUNDRED per season, but now that FSS exists, i probably only send like, 50. try sending out calls to anyone who looks decent in d2, who is like, bottom half by overall rating or so, and you'll get some yesses back.
Just to kind of clarify this, you'll want to send 1 call to each guy, not a bunch of calls to each guy, otherwise you're wasting your money...not trying to steal your thunder gillispie, just don't want this guy getting duped.
2/22/2013 12:44 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 2/22/2013 12:32:00 AM (view original):
If you want to get your money's worth...call the coach...
Calling the coach is absolutely the way to go for JUCO players since you probably want to play them right away and knowing their O and D is important.  For freshmen I don't really care what they play because they often don't get much playing time, and even when they run my sets they have a D instead of an F which doesn't make enough difference to me since they will both improve by the time they are key players.

Plus you can save some money by getting ignored by players if they reject your call where as a coach will take your $10 and tell you to buzz off.
2/22/2013 8:14 AM
Ok I know I have seen something about it somewhere but if I get a message from a recruit that says "I am a  backup" do I have a chance to sign him as long as no one jumps him?
2/22/2013 9:31 PM
Posted by hookemhorns7 on 2/22/2013 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Ok I know I have seen something about it somewhere but if I get a message from a recruit that says "I am a  backup" do I have a chance to sign him as long as no one jumps him?
Yes if he gives you a backup message you can either wait for him to message you and say he is interested now or try to pull him down yourself. Both have their own pros and cons obviously. 
2/22/2013 10:41 PM
12 Next ▸
Never been able to pull a guy down... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.