Wanted: a Pitching Mentor Topic

Ok thanks, dont want to take over the conversattion here, but just one more thought.  It seems like alot of the players here are not worried about minor league championships but focused mainly on the ML.   So one strategy when playing the game is when a player is predicted not to make the ML, dont pay any more than the minimum.
2/20/2013 3:04 PM
Minor league championships are meaningless.   I'd play a real prospect over a better, older player all day in the minors.
2/20/2013 3:08 PM

What's a better combination with identical other attributes? 

P1 85 p2 75
or
P1 80 P2 70 p3 60 p4 50

I'm having a hard time relating one pitcher to the next because of this relationship.

What about

P1 75 P2 75 P3 50 P4 50 P5 50? 

I've read that a guy won't be effective w/o a single pitch in the 80's but, I have a guy who is preforming well that has 5 pitches but 3 of them are well below average? 

2/20/2013 3:08 PM
I've never considered the money aspect before...This has been a very informative thread.  Looks like I'll be gutting my pitching staff come end of season and hope I can get some fair to good FA's or D5's. to fill gaps.
I think I've drafted well enough so that I should have something in a few seasons as they work through the system.
2/20/2013 3:11 PM
Thanks Mike T for sharing with us your strategy and there is no doubt I will take into account the money aspect much more now. But I would not mind spending a few thousand more on a player that could be a solid role player in the minors.  Now if we are talking 300k, like Neruda, then that may be a different story depending on the circumstances.
2/20/2013 3:25 PM
Here's something I do that makes my AAA team better but serves a BL purpose.   After the 8th spring training game and the next half cycle, FA drop their demands to one year.  I seek out injury replacements players, with options, to stash in AAA.   They're usually 1-1.5m for one year.   They make my AAA team competitive and, if there's a BL injury, I have a replacement already making BL money.   If there is no injury, they're still good roster expansion call-ups. 
2/20/2013 3:32 PM

I had some injury problems last season so I had to bring up some folks that I'd rather not have..Neruda being one of at least four.

Yeah, learning at lot here... so let me ask the expert...are these two doing poorly because I'm in a hitters park with Canseco like outfielders (except two of them can't hit like him, but sure strike out as much) 
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Mendy McBride
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dante Belle

just want to put my new knowledge to the test here....

2/20/2013 3:32 PM
Posted by knellypsu on 2/20/2013 3:08:00 PM (view original):

What's a better combination with identical other attributes? 

P1 85 p2 75
or
P1 80 P2 70 p3 60 p4 50

I'm having a hard time relating one pitcher to the next because of this relationship.

What about

P1 75 P2 75 P3 50 P4 50 P5 50? 

I've read that a guy won't be effective w/o a single pitch in the 80's but, I have a guy who is preforming well that has 5 pitches but 3 of them are well below average? 

If you're going to use them in short relief, I've found the 2 pitch guy is fine. 

If I had to pick between the other two, I'd lean towards the 4 pitch guy but wouldn't be surprised if the other did just as well.
2/20/2013 3:34 PM
McBride would likely be bad anywhere.  Poor VL, average VR, weak Vel/GB.   Having a bad OF give up runs certainly won't help.  But, again, I could probably find a use for him at the back of a staff.   Long relief.

Belle has a GB problem in a + homer park but he really should be better.  He really should be fine as a SP3-SP5.
2/20/2013 3:39 PM
Belle was my big FA signing...I was expecting a little better, but now I'm learning his roll and see where he'll play in the future...
and after applying this new info to my minors, I don't have as much potential as I thought...poop!
2/20/2013 5:26 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/20/2013 3:32:00 PM (view original):
Here's something I do that makes my AAA team better but serves a BL purpose.   After the 8th spring training game and the next half cycle, FA drop their demands to one year.  I seek out injury replacements players, with options, to stash in AAA.   They're usually 1-1.5m for one year.   They make my AAA team competitive and, if there's a BL injury, I have a replacement already making BL money.   If there is no injury, they're still good roster expansion call-ups. 
Good stuff here. I had no idea FA dropped their demands at spring training day 8. Thats a good strategy too because you can pick and choose where you may have a weakness with injury(health) or on field play as well.
2/20/2013 5:37 PM
Posted by chisox378 on 2/20/2013 3:25:00 PM (view original):
Thanks Mike T for sharing with us your strategy and there is no doubt I will take into account the money aspect much more now. But I would not mind spending a few thousand more on a player that could be a solid role player in the minors.  Now if we are talking 300k, like Neruda, then that may be a different story depending on the circumstances.
Weird I know, but about the money aspect.  Sometimes I will sign a free agent that still has an option left knowing I am putting him in AAA or AA to help dominate down there.  So yes, I will pay 500K for a AA dominator.  I don't like losing at any level.
2/20/2013 6:53 PM
◂ Prev 123
Wanted: a Pitching Mentor Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.