OT: Favorite Athletes of all time Topic

Other than killing his gf, Oscar was one Hell of an athlete.  
2/20/2013 7:30 AM
Mike Tyson
Pete Incaviglia
Dwight Gooden
Shawon Dunston
Dominique Wilkins
Hakeem Olajuwon
Michael Jordan
Barry Sanders
Tony Stewart
Apollo Anton Ohno
2/20/2013 5:17 PM (edited)
Most have been listed, but:

Dale Earnhardt
Dr J
Larry Bird
Richard Petty
Barry Sanders
Marcus Dupree (wasted talent)
Jerry West
Walter Payton (great in every way)
Mario Lemieux
Dale Murphy
2/20/2013 8:04 AM
I think a lot of us on here are showing our age as I don't think a single person has listed Lebron James or Kobe Bryant.

Dale Murphy was a good one.  He was my favorite player growing up.  I remember I used to practice swinging the bat like he would. 

2/20/2013 8:35 AM
So you practiced Striking out and drawing walks? Just kidding, I like Murphy too, but outside of 4 really good seasons he wasn't that great offensively.
2/20/2013 11:01 AM
Eric Davis.....that was the other guy who had a real unique ritual in the batters box.  I was trying to think of that all morning.

and yeah, you are pretty much right Ghutton!

2/20/2013 11:14 AM
Posted by ghutton9 on 2/20/2013 11:01:00 AM (view original):
So you practiced Striking out and drawing walks? Just kidding, I like Murphy too, but outside of 4 really good seasons he wasn't that great offensively.
He was pretty darn good defensively though.
2/20/2013 11:18 AM
Posted by Arfy on 2/20/2013 11:18:00 AM (view original):
Murphy was the face of baseball in the early 80's. The Braves were on a lot of TV sets every day on Turner network across the US when a lot of other teams were still on just local. For a few years the Braves were America's Team and Murphy was an All-American Guy. And for those few seasons he was a great player. I liked Bob Horner a lot on those teams too.

Hard to believe that Joe Torre Managed that Braves team so long ago. Even harder to believe that he had Managed the Mets for 5 years before that.

2/20/2013 11:32 AM (edited)
That was what made me a Braves fan Jibe.  In 1983 I started following a horrible baseball team on TBS.  It was the only baseball you could see on tv on a regular basis, besides the usual Saturday baseball.  I have lots of great Braves memories.

Bob Horner hitting 4 home runs in one game

The 19 inning July 4th game won by Rick Camp

The infamous 1991 World Series.  Damn that was a great series!  I was a big Steve Avery fan at that time.

2/20/2013 11:41 AM
Posted by Arfy on 2/20/2013 11:18:00 AM (view original):
He was a lot better than just 4 seasons- a 2-time MVP and a 7-time All Star. Murphy was the face of the Braves just the same as Mattingly was the face of the Yankees.
2/20/2013 11:54 AM
I'll throw a few more baseball names out there. Ryne Sandeberg, Robin Yount, Andre Dawson, Tim Raines and Rickey Henderson. I couldn't stand Rickey and his cociness. But he backed up every ounce of it on the field.
2/20/2013 11:54 AM
In no order:

Earl Campbell (The Oiler Cannonball or The Tyler Rose)
Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon
Mahammad Ali, simply The Greatest!
Wilt Chamberlain (The Big Dipper or Wilt "The Stilt"...he hated "The Stilt" nickname!
"Pistol" Pete Maravich
2/20/2013 11:58 AM
Posted by jibe717 on 2/20/2013 11:54:00 AM (view original):
I'll throw a few more baseball names out there. Ryne Sandeberg, Robin Yount, Andre Dawson, Tim Raines and Rickey Henderson. I couldn't stand Rickey and his cociness. But he backed up every ounce of it on the field.
All good ones!  Rickey hittin home runs to start every game.  Also fun to watch was Vince Coleman, Kenny Lofton, and Gary Carter.
2/20/2013 1:01 PM
Posted by coach_deen on 2/20/2013 11:58:00 AM (view original):
In no order:

Earl Campbell (The Oiler Cannonball or The Tyler Rose)
Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon
Mahammad Ali, simply The Greatest!
Wilt Chamberlain (The Big Dipper or Wilt "The Stilt"...he hated "The Stilt" nickname!
"Pistol" Pete Maravich
I'm going to guess either you are at least 50 or just nostalgic.
2/20/2013 1:02 PM
John Elway
Nolan Ryan
Alex English
Joe Sakic
2/20/2013 1:21 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
OT: Favorite Athletes of all time Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.