Please do NOT update the engine Topic

Posted by Arfy on 2/27/2013 11:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jhard70 on 2/27/2013 11:46:00 PM (view original):

Ver 3.0 is definitely an upgrade, but it takes way to much time to set up a gameplan.  It took me over 2 hours to setup 1 offensive and 1 defensive gameplan.  IMO, It will be tough to keep more than one team with the amount of time involved.

Much agreed.  And I don't have the patience to do that anymore!
 to both of these.

I can hardely stand the pesent version, I loved the 1.0. But I have no desire to spend an hour trying to GP for every opponent and half again that much time making halftime adjustments. I too am looking at having only one team and thats if I'm satisfied with the end result.
2/28/2013 9:33 AM
I have said this many, many times over the last couple of years.  Quit messing with the game engine.  The current one seems to be relatively stable.  Leave it alone. 

If you introduce a new version, you will just introduct new bugs and a new learning curve.
2/28/2013 3:21 PM
Posted by mrhhome on 2/28/2013 3:21:00 PM (view original):
I have said this many, many times over the last couple of years.  Quit messing with the game engine.  The current one seems to be relatively stable.  Leave it alone. 

If you introduce a new version, you will just introduct new bugs and a new learning curve.
Sorry but 2.0 sucks.
2/28/2013 3:33 PM
Just did a quick re-look at the Upcoming Update thread. Funny that with all the time people had to say they didn't want a new update - I couldn't find any comments in that thread except those looking for changes and advancing the game play. The complaints and handwringing in this thread are very ill timed and it seems most coaches are looking forward to moving forward with a more advanced game.
2/28/2013 4:01 PM
Grats Harris!!
2/28/2013 6:43 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 2/28/2013 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Just did a quick re-look at the Upcoming Update thread. Funny that with all the time people had to say they didn't want a new update - I couldn't find any comments in that thread except those looking for changes and advancing the game play. The complaints and handwringing in this thread are very ill timed and it seems most coaches are looking forward to moving forward with a more advanced game.
That's because I don't think that anybody had a "real" feel for it, just a bunch of screenshots. While I don't think u will find anyone that will tell u that V 2 is great. Everybody needs to remember this is a game. People aren't going to flock back to GD and stay if it is this complex. Then when you realize that if you like the simplicity and just want the basic, ur at a disadvantage if ur opponent is playing advanced. Most every game u can play has the option to play at the level u like (easy, medium, hard, etc...). 7 months after V3 is rolled out to the real worlds, the worlds will b just as vacant as they r now and because of the usual "head scratchers" coaches will be complaining about the problems. I would keep my 4 teams with this version and like most will drop to one for V3. Has anybody given any thought to how much money WIS could loose with this new version?
2/28/2013 8:10 PM
We lost 100's of coaches after the change from 1.0 to 2.0. The biggest complaints were that the game was "dumbed down", "that we don't have the control of the players that we had", and "game planning didn't mean anything". I don't think the argument of coaches wanting simplicity pans out, because for two years it has been simple as heck and there isn't a swarm of people participating. Coaches want control of how they use their players and they want to see a distinct result when they make changes. I think in this 3.0 version the ability to control how your players are used is well defined (some bugs). If they can create a way to understand match-ups and see the results, I think people who enjoy the challenge this game used to be will stick around.
2/28/2013 8:24 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 2/28/2013 8:24:00 PM (view original):
We lost 100's of coaches after the change from 1.0 to 2.0. The biggest complaints were that the game was "dumbed down", "that we don't have the control of the players that we had", and "game planning didn't mean anything". I don't think the argument of coaches wanting simplicity pans out, because for two years it has been simple as heck and there isn't a swarm of people participating. Coaches want control of how they use their players and they want to see a distinct result when they make changes. I think in this 3.0 version the ability to control how your players are used is well defined (some bugs). If they can create a way to understand match-ups and see the results, I think people who enjoy the challenge this game used to be will stick around.
I don't disagree and I see a lot of a good in the new features. The engine is still in need of work though. Bottom line, though, there are many changes needed to make it all quicker and easier to work with. I personally like the control, but I also don't like the time it currently takes to set things up and game plan. Make it easier. Give me a one click quick way to start with the old "heavy run"/"heavy pass"/"etc/.." percentages and adjust from there. Why was the copy from function not there from the start? 

Again, keep the additional control just find (and solicit) ways to make it quicker & easier to use. And smooth out the engine. This is the path to keeping the majority of coaches around (and to keep many with more than 1 team)!
2/28/2013 10:02 PM
I think you are missing the point.  I want control over my team(s) and Ver 3.0 seems to provide it.  However, if that level of control is so complex/time consuming that it takes hours to set up, study pbp, and then make adjustments; it will be very difficult to keep more than one team.  The advanced version shouldn't be so complex that coaches opt/prefer the basic settings.  I'm certainly not suggesting that we stay with 2.0, but they look for ways to implement the advanced setting without so many clicks of the mouse.
2/28/2013 10:56 PM
Posted by caesari on 2/28/2013 6:43:00 PM (view original):
Grats Harris!!
Thanks caesari...this was the point of the original post....to "pat myself on the back"....looks like I goofed big time and started a different thread than intended.

So here goes...all those that wish to pass on congrats to me and tell me how great of a coach I am, then keep posting in this thread  LOL  ....All others, please start another/different thread.

Its like I tell my wife....."I am a highly successful college football coach"!  
3/1/2013 4:53 PM
Great job, harris.

3/1/2013 5:14 PM
Posted by jhard70 on 2/28/2013 10:56:00 PM (view original):
I think you are missing the point.  I want control over my team(s) and Ver 3.0 seems to provide it.  However, if that level of control is so complex/time consuming that it takes hours to set up, study pbp, and then make adjustments; it will be very difficult to keep more than one team.  The advanced version shouldn't be so complex that coaches opt/prefer the basic settings.  I'm certainly not suggesting that we stay with 2.0, but they look for ways to implement the advanced setting without so many clicks of the mouse.
How many "real" coaches have more than one team?  On the other hand, real coaches are the payees, not the payers. ;)
3/1/2013 5:33 PM
I agree with everybody about the time needed to set up your team in 3.0 but I'll also add that I had these same concerns when I first joined HBD but now that I'm a few seasons into it the team only takes minimual adjustments and time, season 1 still hasn't started so I'm willing to see how the beta plays out before making any decisions whether to stay or leave. 
3/1/2013 6:18 PM
I believe setting up the different gameplans and formations are a bit time consuming initially. Once there set up it should not be that complicated to tweak. There really shouldn't be any conclusions drawn at this point. It will take a few seasons to study data and see the results. It's silly to think WIS is going to go backwards at this point. It is what it is. If there are reservations already, maybe that is a red flag that there are those that really don't want to play this game regardless of how the update turns out.  
3/2/2013 11:21 AM
Posted by katzphang88 on 2/28/2013 8:24:00 PM (view original):
Yes, we lost lots of coaches moving from v1 to v2.  Why do you think it will be different this time?
3/4/2013 9:01 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Please do NOT update the engine Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.