Want to Start HD!!! Topic

Good call. Definitely shouldn't take over any school with more than 6 scholarships available. And it's probably better to find one with just 2-3 while you learn the ropes. But definitely pay attention to how full a conference is unless you like being by yourself. If there are 2-3 other solid coaches, a less full conference can be fun, but one with no other coaches will usually be boring. 
2/21/2013 5:18 PM
Posted by heinzkill on 2/21/2013 12:09:00 PM (view original):
I have finally caved in and won't be playing only HBD! Is there someone who is willing  to give me a few pointers getting started? Starting with which team I should choose. I don't feel like searching through the mentor list and would prefer a mentor come to me.
You keep this up, you're gonna get your 57, 86ed.

Hope you can sleep in the bed you're making for yourself...welcome to the f***in show...

2/21/2013 7:12 PM
Take it easy there buddy....
2/21/2013 7:41 PM
like Sunday morning, Chach...bienvenidos.
2/21/2013 8:11 PM
At the risk of offending dacj and guiding you too much

Is that really the perception of my post? I have no problem with him getting guidance, I strongly recommend it in fact. Perhaps I misread his initial tone or intent, but when someone says I don't want to bother (sorry, the exact quote is "I don't feel like searching" - to me that came off as I don't want to bother. Perhaps my perception is flawed) doing xyz that comes off as lazy and entitled to me. I merely suggested that he be proactive and find some help/info on his own. Apparently he did with this thread, so kudos, I guess. Since colonels is the only one who seems to (? who knows with trevor...) have a similarity in viewpoints, I guess I must be doing it wrong... 

2/22/2013 8:18 AM
Its's all good my man. I learned a long time ago not to worry about explaining myself on these threads. There will always be someone who reads it the way they want to read it. Thankfully, I can't control what people think of the post or of me. I will have to continue practicing restraint with those who feel it necessary to post their opinions of me with the limited information they do have. You can ask any of the guys in the Ichiro HBD world, in which I am commissioner, that I am by no means a slacker on this site.
2/22/2013 12:20 PM (edited)
Posted by dacj501 on 2/22/2013 8:18:00 AM (view original):
At the risk of offending dacj and guiding you too much

Is that really the perception of my post? I have no problem with him getting guidance, I strongly recommend it in fact. Perhaps I misread his initial tone or intent, but when someone says I don't want to bother (sorry, the exact quote is "I don't feel like searching" - to me that came off as I don't want to bother. Perhaps my perception is flawed) doing xyz that comes off as lazy and entitled to me. I merely suggested that he be proactive and find some help/info on his own. Apparently he did with this thread, so kudos, I guess. Since colonels is the only one who seems to (? who knows with trevor...) have a similarity in viewpoints, I guess I must be doing it wrong... 

I completely agree dac, I made it very clear in the initial posting of the mentor list that the mentee should seek out a mentor, not the other way around.  People posting "I want a mentor" on that thread are simply not going to get mentors.  Posting something like that is indicative of laziness/not reading the entire post, both of which will probably make for a poor mentor-mentee relationship.  I guess what I'm saying is that if the person wanting to be mentored has the attitude that they are willing to reach out and seek advice, they are going to be much better at receiving that advice.  
2/22/2013 10:22 AM
Do some people on here take this too seriously?

Votes: 22
(Last vote received: 3/3/2013 4:32 PM)
2/22/2013 11:07 AM
Relax boys. My way worked.
2/22/2013 11:10 AM
i dont see what the big deal is... could heinz have went to the mentor list and gotten the same result? maybe. maybe not, this way he is trying to attract someone who is still active and also WANTS to mentor someone enough to reply (thats a lot of work, you know!). especially coming from another WIS game, i can certainly appreciate that desire. a number of coaches have echoed the sentiment about not getting replies off the mentor list, although a number have also mentioned that method working fine. so i think its perfectly reasonable for a coach to use that tool, or to go another direction. why can't that be their choice??

bottom line, someone wants help, and asked for it - i fail to see the problem! now if people point him to the aejones thread and other works and he refuses to read them, instead perpetually asking already answered questions, which is against internet forum common courtesy standards - and THEN you want to be ****** - ok, i can see that. but one single request for assistance where you could only halfway get the answer in an existing thread, thats a problem? from a user who is informed enough to know the thread exists, and tried the same method in another game already, without success?? what am i missing?
2/22/2013 12:09 PM
All in all this game looks like it will be fun. Thanks to all for the feedback. I have some people I can lean on now when I have questions.
2/22/2013 12:30 PM
if you have any specific questions, heinz, feel free to send me a site-mail . I'll echo others - I wouldn't take a team with more than 4 open schollies. Also, try to choose a team from DIII in a mostly-full conference. 
2/22/2013 12:34 PM
those are the 2 best pieces of advice... find a balanced team (by # of players per class) in a largely human-filled conference. also to seek help, but you seem to be doing that. theres a lot of pretty good questions and answers that pop up on the forums, you can learn a lot just by tuning in for a few minutes here and there.
2/22/2013 12:57 PM
Posted by heinzkill on 2/22/2013 11:10:00 AM (view original):
Relax boys. My way worked.
It's comments like this...you're not starting on a good foot, just saying

I'll personally play whatever game you like, and please join either Knight or Phelan so I can get some easy wins...

2/22/2013 9:14 PM
The dude declined my exhibition game lol...he's got an A- D3, I've got a B D2 with 6 'ships to fill and he declined...class...
2/23/2013 9:07 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Want to Start HD!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.