Progressive Keeper League using Career Setting Topic

ok count me in. St. Louis Browns. ballpark TBD
2/28/2013 7:23 PM
The only potential issue I see is with plate appearances. I figure catchers will be the hardest to fill so I ran some filters and found

Just 12 with 350 pa's or more
11 more with 200 -349 pa's
Only 4 more with 100-199

I'm going to assume 700 pa's to get you through
Likely less of a problem at other positions though still tight.

Am I missing something?

Ip will have same issue
2/28/2013 9:34 PM (edited)
to me that just means more creativity managing. may have to play some fatigued players.
2/28/2013 10:07 PM
Wrigley Field
2/28/2013 10:20 PM
yeah, i think everyone will need to have 2 backstops.  catcher looks weakest, but there are enough PA's to get everyone through the season.  plus i'm still leaning towards AAA's as insurance.  i really want everyone's opinion on the AAA - as in YES or NO??

you've got the right mentality stlnathan.  creative managing!!  i think 650 PA's will be enough.
2/28/2013 11:12 PM
Posted by dspahlinger on 2/28/2013 6:59:00 PM (view original):
I will be unavailable for the draft from March 9 through March 17 inclusive-hope the draft would not start before Monday March 18.
does "inclusive" also mean warm, sunny, and with an open bar?  actually, don't answer that.

i am not sure when we will draft.  if the league fills up fast enough we might be able to do it before you leave.  if not, well we will cross that bridge when we come to it.  if needed i an help your draft if you give me a pre-ranking of sorts.  lets see what happens, it may be a non-issue.
2/28/2013 11:17 PM
Everyone is in the same boat so I'm not complaining. I actually think it may be hard to spend 80 mill. Time will tell.
3/1/2013 12:05 AM
Posted by gigrant on 2/28/2013 11:12:00 PM (view original):
yeah, i think everyone will need to have 2 backstops.  catcher looks weakest, but there are enough PA's to get everyone through the season.  plus i'm still leaning towards AAA's as insurance.  i really want everyone's opinion on the AAA - as in YES or NO??

you've got the right mentality stlnathan.  creative managing!!  i think 650 PA's will be enough.

In a regular 1901 progressive AAA's were definitely needed. I have never played a career progressive, but I would be inclined to think they would still be useful, but either average or below average AAA should suffice. There are only 282 players available and 300 are required so there will have to be roster fillers. I have always used $200k players from 2000-2012 for that purpose and allowed 6 position and 4 pitcher average AAA

3/1/2013 7:21 AM
Actually I'm gong to be in Florida from March 9 to 16 attending 6 spring training games (and undoubtedly some bars )-we'll see 10 different teams at 6 different ballparks. I will have internet access but my time availability wll be very variable. If we are drafting off the clock I would probably be able to make one pick every day, just couldn't predict when.
3/1/2013 7:27 AM
wow - that is good to know (players #'s).  i will have to figure out a plan.  draft will start off the clock.  i may have people vote on a few things such the AAA (i think that vote appears to be a yes because of the above).  i want everyone to have a voice as to what we're doing.  that way if it doesn't work well i can blame everyone else 

3/1/2013 10:39 AM
I would be interested if you started a little later say 1915 or later. Just not enough players available to make it fun to draft.  The draft is the fun part anyway. Just my imput, it is your idea and I like the career idea please inform me if it is later players  thanks
3/1/2013 11:13 AM
It's true that there are limited players but with the career method I don't think PA or IP will actually be a problem, and it adds to the strategy element to have to deal with a smaller number of players.
3/1/2013 12:16 PM
If you think that PA's would be a problem you might consider the first few season where only 154 games are played - kind of like what really happened. In fact, if we get that far, maybe only going to 162 games in 1961 (AL)/1962(NL). Also, there were only 140 games in 1919 (I believe because of WWI and the flu but not sure).
3/1/2013 2:06 PM
As far as using AAA players I'll defer that to however the others want it. I've always been partial to the 'run what you brung' leagues. This of course would mean that trades would be allowed - including trading for future draft choices if that is possible. Again, I bow to the will of others.  I'm 68 years old, with heart problems, so I doubt I'll ever see this get into the modern era anyway [Question: How many season do you think we could play each year doing this?].
3/1/2013 2:17 PM
Posted by gigrant on 3/1/2013 10:39:00 AM (view original):
wow - that is good to know (players #'s).  i will have to figure out a plan.  draft will start off the clock.  i may have people vote on a few things such the AAA (i think that vote appears to be a yes because of the above).  i want everyone to have a voice as to what we're doing.  that way if it doesn't work well i can blame everyone else 

I think this will be fun. That being said, I already do blame you for making me look into this far more than I've ever had to do while playing career league... lol.   Just kidding... let's do it.
3/1/2013 2:21 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
Progressive Keeper League using Career Setting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.