D2 season 63 Topic

hopefully i'll have time to make the predictions this weekend. I'm a teacher and it's been one hell of a busy week. 
3/22/2013 1:29 PM
if you want to teach classes on how to win at WIS i will be the first one to sign up
3/22/2013 10:32 PM
Posted by bow2dacowz on 3/22/2013 10:32:00 PM (view original):
if you want to teach classes on how to win at WIS i will be the first one to sign up
+1
3/23/2013 10:27 AM
OK. Lesson #1. Make sure to recruit someone who can play point guard. Do this at least every 2 seasons.

Longwood did not do this  few seasons back., and now we have our first losing record in 23 seasons.
3/24/2013 10:56 AM
go on, i'm listening :D
3/24/2013 11:00 AM
go on, i'm listening :D
3/24/2013 11:00 AM
Big matchup in the Heartland tonight.  My #1 St. Mary's TX squad puts our perfect record on the line as we travel just down the road to Austin to take on #8 St. Edwards.  St. Edwards has a fantastic team with excellent athleticism and defense.  This will be a tough one to win.
3/24/2013 6:47 PM
Big one in the cvac tonight as well. Queens and Pfeiffer battle out for first place in the daunting west! West has 3 of the top 7 teams in the country and also the always in contention Longwood who is reloading a bit this year. Good luck cowz cuz this might be our only chance at a conf title for years!
3/24/2013 8:12 PM
Posted by muskies85 on 3/24/2013 8:12:00 PM (view original):
Big one in the cvac tonight as well. Queens and Pfeiffer battle out for first place in the daunting west! West has 3 of the top 7 teams in the country and also the always in contention Longwood who is reloading a bit this year. Good luck cowz cuz this might be our only chance at a conf title for years!
CVAC West and Heartland East are both deadly this season.  Heartland East has 3 of the top 9 (1, 8 and 9).  St. Mary's TX has a 2 game lead on #8 St. Edwards and a 3 game lead on #9 Rockhurst right now, but we've got 1 game left against both of them, so that could change quickly.
3/24/2013 8:22 PM
#1 and #2 both lost last night and stayed at #1 and #2. St Mary's lost a tough one on the road to a very good St Edwards team.
3/25/2013 1:38 PM
Incarnate Word beat ranked Rockhurst to get our 13th win.  One more win and we are in the NT.  We are also squarely on the 8/9 line on the projection report at this point. 

Does WIS consider conference affiliation during seeding?  I'm guessing/hoping they wouldn't position us to meet a conference foe in a 2nd round game (e.g. likely #1 seeds St Marys and/or St Edwards) . 
3/27/2013 2:13 PM
Posted by davefilby on 3/27/2013 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Incarnate Word beat ranked Rockhurst to get our 13th win.  One more win and we are in the NT.  We are also squarely on the 8/9 line on the projection report at this point. 

Does WIS consider conference affiliation during seeding?  I'm guessing/hoping they wouldn't position us to meet a conference foe in a 2nd round game (e.g. likely #1 seeds St Marys and/or St Edwards) . 
Nevermind.  We've played our way up to a 6 seed.  We'll see if we can carry our decent late season play into the CT ..... and beyond.
3/29/2013 10:47 AM
My guys have had a bit of a down year so far. Hopefully, they come together when the postseason starts, otherwise my place atop the dynasty rankings might be short-lived.
3/31/2013 8:37 PM
All quiet on the board now, wow.  Well my final four picks are St. Mary's, (the winner of My sciences team vs. burks Northeastern St team), Queens, and Hillsdale.  I know, chalk almost across the board which is... boring.  Oh well.  I think Queens wins the NT.
4/2/2013 5:18 PM
Sorry - haven't had time for a conference rundown (I should next season) but can go through the brackets a bit. 

Midwest - General thoughts - This is the toughest bracket. You are unlucky if you ended up here.

Favorites - #1 St. Mary's STILL has Terry Coombs on their team. That dude has been there forever! Anyway, there are 3 premier scorers for St. Mary's, and a bunch of nifty role players, and they are the midwest favorites. Despite struggles on offense, especially with FG%,

#2 Pfieffe
r has great coaching, defensive tenacity, and the ability to beat anyone in a close game.

#4 W. Georgia is the Gulf South champs and have played great defense all season - there's no weakness in that starting lineup. 

Best of the rest--

#3 CSU Chico has not lost in a long time, but it's hard to pick a team with no seniors as a bracket favorite. They will be scary next season.
#5 Mesa St. loves to chuck the 3, though 2 of their starters score under 30% from beyond the arc. Nevertheless, any 26-3 team can be very scary, and they've been good for a while.
 #6 Rockhurst was fairly dominant all season, but an inexplicable late-season slump hurt them greatly. If they get back to early-season form, watch out - they have 5 excellent seniors on that experienced squad. 

Teams that might shock you?

#10 S. New Hampshire is in the NT for the first time in 10 seasons, and they're talented. They  have 6 seniors, won their conference tourney, and have quality wins over Slippery Rock and Rockhurst. They could upset very young Parkside and give Pfieffer a run for their money.
#12 Barton - jtmatt's team is absolutely bipolar, contributing to their 16-11 record, but they have actually beaten 3 teams with top 10 RPIs...which is rare to see in a 12 seed. (they also lost to the #80, #109, and #120 RPI). There's no telling with this talented squad, but if they show up, Mesa St's in trouble. Barton could very possibly swing 2 upsets and get to the sweet 16.....or they could lose to Mesa St. by 40. Who knows?

Prediction - St. Mary's over Pfieffer to win the Midwest. Terry Coombs drops 40 on someone. Pfieffer beats S. New Hampshire by 1, then steamrolls their sweet 16 opponent. 

East - this bracket is very wide open.  

Favorites

#2 Northeastern St. - this team has great balance and inside-out scoring. Their two losses were a one-point overtime upset loss to Stanislaus, and a strange 10 point loss at the end of conference play that was kind of an anomaly. They're a very dangerous #2 seed. I see no weaknesses in this lineup. 

#1 U. of the Sciences. OK - their schedule is very weak, but they put up some huge numbers from 3 this season, and are currently riding a 20 game win streak. While they are definitely talented, they lost to the #2 seed at home, and a team that relies this much on the outside (their bigs kind of just hang around and rebound a lot) shot can go cold at any time. This team is really really good, but they play a risky style of basketball. 

#3 Lees-Mcrae - despite their mid-season slide and complete lack of depth, the 9 guys that do play are pretty great ballplayers. With the right matchups, Lees-Mcrae could make the final four....

Best of the rest

#4 W. Alabama - I thought they would be better than they are. They shoot a ton of threes, which means they don't shoot many FT's, which hurts them in close games. Hixson and Restrepo are phenomenal talents, though. 

#6. Minnesota Duluth - I think this is the team I always make fun of for their absurdly poor scheduling. Well, they upped the non-conference, won a few games, and have a 28 PPG scorer. I'm not saying their a contender, but they are definitely interesting. 

Teams that might shock you?

#8 Belmont Abbey - they beat Lees-Mcrae, Limestone, Hillsdale, and Pfieffer this season. They have a tradition of national tournament success, and play in the super-tough CVAC conference. They're scary for a young team, and they might be title favorites next season. 

#9 Stanislaus - Zagman has kept them strong. Whoever wins the 8-9 game could give U. of the Sciences a run for their money. 

#14 Montevallo - at 15-15, they're a bit of a stretch, but they did knock off W. Alabama and St. Edwards in their conference tourney run. Anythings possible. 

Prediction - Northeastern St. takes it over U of the S. 

South

Favorites -

#1 Queens - Irving Bullard is the best player in fake DII college basketball. They don't like to take many 3's, but when they do, Molden doesn't miss. Very few weaknesses, though there are a couple. The most notable one is that they really suck at overtime, going 0-3 when the game goes down to the wire. Are they missing the "clutch" gene?

#4 Bellarmine - I think their sweet 16 matchup w/ Queens will decide the bracket. They have a lot of extremely close early season losses to top teams which hurt them, but they have one of the best coaches in the game, and talent to match. 

Best of the rest

#5 Armstrong Atlantic St. - Their biggest loss all season was 3 points, and they are extremely talented. They haven't played a whole lot of top teams, though. They got a bad draw facing Bellarmine (or maybe vice versa)

#2. Bowie St. - They're more "dangerous" than great, and I'm glad their back. There's a lot of team depth there and they can beat anyone in the country - but I think they're the 3rd best team in the bracket. 

Surprises

#8 - Washburn - They shoot a ton of 3's, and they're 28-1. They're not terribly athletic, and I've seen more talented teams, but I've learned never to overlook a 1-loss team in the NT. The top-half of the bracket is stacked, though. 

Predicton - Queens over Bowie St. So far, I'm not really being much of a risk-taker here. 

West
Thoughts - I'm tired. Sorry, west you get the prediction shaft
Favorites

#1 Limestone - They're strong on the glass, they are 3-0 in overtimes, and they are well-rounded. 

#2 St. Ed's - extremely athletic squad but prone to upsets. 

#3 - Coker - I really want to like this team, but they never defeat the very top squads. They're immensely talented and have 6 seniors. 

#4 - Hillsdale - definitely the best frontcourt in DII. They don't have much of an outside game, but don't need one. Currently riding a 20 game winstreak, mostly against bad competition though. 

#7 - Seattle - dangerous as hell, though not a lot of depth. 

I'll pick #1 Limestone over #7 Seattle here

So my final four will be 

Queens, Limestone, Northeastern St., St. Mary's. 

I pick Northeastern St., the only 2 seed in the final four, to win the whole thing. 

4/2/2013 7:38 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
D2 season 63 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.