Career Progressive Draft - 1901 Topic

Yeah Bullmoose, after Mathewson we had some choices at SP. The strikeout dominance of Waddell, the big innings and solid stats from CY and the longevity and effectiveness of Plank.

I would have been happy with any of them. I don't think any other SP has 5 K/9 let alone the 7 that Waddell has. Truly remarkbable for the era.
3/6/2013 4:59 PM
regarding the non-war years that players miss - i am trying to find the best way to approach this.  i was looking over players today to make sure we have all the available players.  Sam Thompson technically played until 1906, although that was the only year he played after 1898.  he came out of retirement at the age of 46 to play 8 games for Detroit.  so should he be available for 1901?  the answer is no.  i said in a different post and i'll say it again, i have no patience for the circus stuff.  no pinch-hitting midgits and no players showing up in their late 40's to steal a base and set the record for oldest base-stealer.  if the player was still active in the minors for a few seasons in his early 30's and then comes back up to play for 3 more seasons - yes.  honestly, anybody who was that borderline at their position probably isn't going to make one of our squads anyways.  Dan Brouthers was active for 2 games in 1904 at the age of 46.  only God knows why.  he's out too.

once we get to WW2 era we will re-confirm our league opinion on the war years, but i strongly lean towards letting guys like Feller & Ted Williams get their time back.  for one, it's an honor they served the country when they could've tried to stick around the big leagues like Musial did.  and #2, we all want to know what Ted's numbers looked like had he stayed.  now we are going to find out.

here's a funky idea.  whoever drafts Babe Ruth can detiremine which position he plays - OF or P.  he will only be allowed to do one, but for the whole time.  he gets extra at bats to hit homers, or you can see if he would win 300 games.  in fact, for the Babe and only the Babe, we can have him available for two teams - one at each position.  i think we can all agree he is the most iconic figures of all time in the sport.  could we give him the honor of being the only clone for this purpose (answering the pitching/hitting question of "what if?").  this is silly, i'm going to say it.  and i don't want to get silly in this league.  but it is an idea and i'm throwing it out there for everyone to ponder.  and i would insist he would be the ONLY one we'd do it for.  
3/6/2013 5:41 PM
Idk about having two Babes. The pitcher version would still get to hit and and would take away some value from Ruth the positional player IMO. But I'll gladly go along with whatever way is chosen.

As far as the players with career intereuptions maybe it would be a good idea to make a cutoff. The Federal Leagues in 1914 and 1915 put a strain on player availability and brought some players back that would have stayed in the minors. Researching for the draft I noticed there seem to be a lot of players that came back after several years out of the majors.
Maybe a rule like if they miss one year two years no problem, they keep playing uninterrupted. However if they miss 3 or more years they have to play in at least 10 games or pitch in five for instance. Thats just an option I'm throwing out there. You could set the number at whatever you like but it might be beter to clarify befre someone drafts a guy and thinks he has more eligibility than he will in the game.

Just thought I'd put my two cents in. Thanks for setting this league up.
3/6/2013 6:19 PM
Browns will take Hughie Jennings, SS
3/6/2013 7:22 PM
Perronville takes Ed Delahanty and signs him to a 3 year contract.
3/6/2013 7:51 PM
I'll take Deacon Phillips - sorry if I held you up.
3/6/2013 8:55 PM
I understand that these types of drafts aren't the quickest but at the pace we are going, it will take a couple of months to finish, which I am not interested in. 12hour gaps between picks is a little much. I don't see why this board at a minimum can't be checked once in the am and pm.
3/7/2013 10:13 AM
i agree that this is going a bit slow.  but it gives me time to check on a few things regarding player issues (WIS made mistakes).  we will be going on the clock after next week.
3/7/2013 10:42 AM
A little bit slow is a big understatement.
3/7/2013 11:05 AM
magj, one of the reasons the Commissioner is not going on the clock until after next week is that I am largely unavailable next week due to a trip which was planned six months ago. If we were on the clock, I would have to drop from the league, which I really don't want to do.The Commissioner was kind enough to agree to delay the ON THE CLOCK draft until Monday 3/18. I will check at least twice a day next week and can make picks reasonably timely off the clock, but if I were scheduled for specific times I would frequently miss picks. Initial drafts are too important to miss picks.

My experience is that off the clock drafts are usually very slow for the reason you cited-some owners don't check the draft board or site mails very often. Once we get on the clock the draft should proceed smoothly. Your patience would be very greatly appreciated-I love this concept and really want to participate.
3/7/2013 11:38 AM
Posted by gigrant on 3/6/2013 5:41:00 PM (view original):
regarding the non-war years that players miss - i am trying to find the best way to approach this.  i was looking over players today to make sure we have all the available players.  Sam Thompson technically played until 1906, although that was the only year he played after 1898.  he came out of retirement at the age of 46 to play 8 games for Detroit.  so should he be available for 1901?  the answer is no.  i said in a different post and i'll say it again, i have no patience for the circus stuff.  no pinch-hitting midgits and no players showing up in their late 40's to steal a base and set the record for oldest base-stealer.  if the player was still active in the minors for a few seasons in his early 30's and then comes back up to play for 3 more seasons - yes.  honestly, anybody who was that borderline at their position probably isn't going to make one of our squads anyways.  Dan Brouthers was active for 2 games in 1904 at the age of 46.  only God knows why.  he's out too.

once we get to WW2 era we will re-confirm our league opinion on the war years, but i strongly lean towards letting guys like Feller & Ted Williams get their time back.  for one, it's an honor they served the country when they could've tried to stick around the big leagues like Musial did.  and #2, we all want to know what Ted's numbers looked like had he stayed.  now we are going to find out.

here's a funky idea.  whoever drafts Babe Ruth can detiremine which position he plays - OF or P.  he will only be allowed to do one, but for the whole time.  he gets extra at bats to hit homers, or you can see if he would win 300 games.  in fact, for the Babe and only the Babe, we can have him available for two teams - one at each position.  i think we can all agree he is the most iconic figures of all time in the sport.  could we give him the honor of being the only clone for this purpose (answering the pitching/hitting question of "what if?").  this is silly, i'm going to say it.  and i don't want to get silly in this league.  but it is an idea and i'm throwing it out there for everyone to ponder.  and i would insist he would be the ONLY one we'd do it for.  
I am in favor of letting all what I would call "normal" absences due to war (WWI and Korean also caused a few absences) and injury be played through and only the abnormal freak occurrences being banned.

I would be opposed to having two Ruth's but would be OK with the decision to do so.
3/7/2013 11:42 AM
Oops. Must have missed where there was another thread made for the draft. Had been waiting for an email. Will have my pick in 5 min or so.

Very sorry guys.
3/7/2013 12:12 PM
Ill take Cy Young; again, very sorry for the late selection.
3/7/2013 12:26 PM
Dspahl, my issue is getting just one to three picks a day done. We know you're going on vacation and that's not a problem. Deafheaven obviously didn't know the draft started so that is understandable but if we continue at 3 picks a day this will take forever. That's just reality. I know these are slow but there is no reason we can't knock out half a round a day.
3/7/2013 1:26 PM
i agree with mag, we should be able to knock out 6 to 10 picks a day.  and i think we will as today continues.  as long as people check in when they can we will be fine.  having the last pick is kinda brutal - watching all the guys i want disappear!!
3/7/2013 1:32 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...23 Next ▸
Career Progressive Draft - 1901 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.