Bringing up prospects too early? Topic

Posted by jtrinsey on 3/13/2013 11:34:00 PM (view original):
If he's going to be an SP1, it's all the more reason to get a free year out of him.
It's not a free season, it's one extra season of control.   And it can be done at any time, pre-arb, as long as he has options.
3/14/2013 8:35 AM
Correction:

An extra season at a very cheap price.
3/14/2013 2:10 PM
<a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=5588724" target="_blank">Jo-jo Rivers</a>

my 1st round pick...since he is 21...when is the correct time to promote him. most of all my other picks have gained ratings 1 or 2 points already, but Rivers has not.  I do not want to hurt his ratings. What would you do?
3/24/2013 12:10 AM
Posted by gbuck41 on 3/24/2013 12:11:00 AM (view original):
<a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=5588724" target="_blank">Jo-jo Rivers</a>

my 1st round pick...since he is 21...when is the correct time to promote him. most of all my other picks have gained ratings 1 or 2 points already, but Rivers has not.  I do not want to hurt his ratings. What would you do?
I'd say he's already shown enough for LoA, should be in HiA, maybe even AA.
3/24/2013 9:55 AM
I would promote him now. I also would have started him in the Rookie league and not Low A because your Rookie league Hitting coach (54) is better than your Low A one (48) at High A he will get better coaching (56)
3/24/2013 3:49 PM
Thanks  I will do do...I was getting mixed advice and decided to ask here.....makes sense about the hitting coaches.
3/24/2013 5:22 PM
I have a pretty similar situation to the original one on this thread, and i've been told that I should "wait until I see their development slow" to promote a top prospect. This makes some good sense, but I was just wondering what kind of a timeline I should look at in terms of seeing development slow.  For example,  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dean Diaz improved in a couple of areas from Opening Day to the first Regular Season line, but didn't improve from the first Regular Season line to the second. Time to promote, or should I wait for another round of possible improvements?
4/21/2013 5:46 PM
He's already on your 40.  No need to wait if he can help.
4/21/2013 6:22 PM
OK thanks...in general though, what sort of a time table to you recommend ? 
4/21/2013 9:16 PM

Once a player is on my 40, his option clock is ticking.   At that point, there's no reason to hold him back if he can help.

Players develop on the BL roster.    I've actually started using 2nd/3rd year players if they're good enough.

4/21/2013 9:43 PM
Assuming coaching is the same at the different levels, do players develop more in higher level since they are playing against tougher competition? 
4/22/2013 9:50 AM
There's no evidence that such a thing is true.   I don't believe it to be so.
4/22/2013 10:13 AM
So not promoting players won't hinder a players development, assuming he doesn't retire/coaching is adequate? 
4/22/2013 10:20 AM
I'd promote players until they get to AAA.   I wouldn't let a player sit at a lower level for more than 2 seasons.  I pretty much use the following:

1st-RL/LoA/HiA
2nd-LoA/HiA/AA
3rd-AA/AAA
4th-AAA
4/22/2013 10:28 AM
◂ Prev 123
Bringing up prospects too early? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.