10 Good Questions Topic

There was a time (or multiple times) when the forum held active discussions on how the game worked.   This is a lame *** attempt to bring sexy back.....

Here it goes:

Let's try to generate ten (10) good questions about how the game works.

Here is mine:

Is there a significant difference between C- and B-  fielding or range at SS?  RF?  1b?   
3/6/2013 1:53 PM
I think it would have more impact on the fielding side than the range end with your C- vs B- example at the most important postions (SS/2B/CF) because the number of chances will be higher for these positions over the course of a season. So, a C- fielder (say .955 fielding percentage) is going to make many more errors than a B- fielder (.970 fielding percentage) due to the number of chances in the field. Your other positions would have fewer chances and thus fewer errors as whole.

While the C- fielder will make more "-" plays than the B- fielder at these positions, niether will have enough range to make any "+" plays and from my experience your are looking at a small difference in "-" plays between the 2 (say around 10-15 for the C- guy and 6-8 for the B- guy depending on the position). Thus, for range I wouldn't be concerned between the two as I would for errors.

This is all dependent upon position of course...as your 1B can get away with C- for either fielding or range and probably perform as well as the B- guy over the course of a season.

Here's my question: I often find that I rely on ERC+ and ERC# when drafting players and use this search stat on an equal level as OAV+/#, BB/9+/# and HR/9+/#, but I still have no idea if this stat is used in the engine's log5 formula or what would this number translate to (XBH allowed?). Is ERC+/# a worthwhile stat to use when selecting players and why or why not?

3/6/2013 2:52 PM (edited)
Batters control 90% of the XBH determination.   I think ERC tells you if a player is good but doesn't directly impact (at least not much) the engine's decision.
3/6/2013 2:59 PM
2 questions:

- doesn't the players performance history really tell the whole story vs. that complicated advanced stats page?

- is boogerlips ever coming out of the closet ?

3/6/2013 3:14 PM
If I do, I'll have TrentOnJoe hot after me, and that would be a nightmare.
3/6/2013 4:25 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/6/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):
There was a time (or multiple times) when the forum held active discussions on how the game worked.   This is a lame *** attempt to bring sexy back.....

Here it goes:

Let's try to generate ten (10) good questions about how the game works.

Here is mine:

Is there a significant difference between C- and B-  fielding or range at SS?  RF?  1b?   
A C- range will have about 8 more minus plays and 4 less plus plays than B- range at all 3 of those positions.  There's more of a difference in fielding between those grades at SS than RF (and almost no difference at 1B).
3/6/2013 5:40 PM
I go with a C- for boogerlips coming out of the closet, but upgrade him to a B- if he goes out with Trentonjoe. I hope this answers all your questions. 
3/6/2013 7:22 PM
Seriously, micki's question about the performance history is a good one. I know a lot of people argue against it here, and I don't play OLs much anymore, but when I do I think performance history is really key. This is especially true for pitchers I think and WHIP is the key stat on performance history,

But in addition, and with all the criticisms this stat gets, I also won't use a pitcher with a performance history over 4.00, regardless of what the RL stats were. 
3/6/2013 7:27 PM
What about whether to go in CF with a player with  C fielding and a B range, versus one with a B fielding and a C range ?

One option might be that, since one guy can get to the ball but you aren't sure he'll catch it, while the other could catch it but it is doubtful they can get to it, you have the B range guy carry the B fielding guy on his shoulders, like Master-Blaster in "Beyond Thunderdome".  
3/6/2013 7:31 PM
I have rebuffing boogers advances for years. The guy just doesn't get it.

for the performance history, I don't really look. I imagine that the more seasons a guy has in history the more accurate it is.
3/6/2013 7:32 PM
The of slots have different "medians". The b/ c guy will get you significantly more - plays in cf than rf.
3/6/2013 7:34 PM
Posted by italyprof on 3/6/2013 7:31:00 PM (view original):
What about whether to go in CF with a player with  C fielding and a B range, versus one with a B fielding and a C range ?

One option might be that, since one guy can get to the ball but you aren't sure he'll catch it, while the other could catch it but it is doubtful they can get to it, you have the B range guy carry the B fielding guy on his shoulders, like Master-Blaster in "Beyond Thunderdome".  
I'll take the range in CF every time.

In general, if I'm not sure which OF I want to consider "better" defensively, I will multiply the RRF by the FP for one overall defensive stat. This tends to make range be most important, but it seems to work. (This is only ever done if I'm going to start both players anyway -- if I'm at the point that I need to examine defense that closely, I should be making a start decision based almost completely on offense.)
3/6/2013 7:56 PM
Posted by frazzman80 on 3/6/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):
I think it would have more impact on the fielding side than the range end with your C- vs B- example at the most important postions (SS/2B/CF) because the number of chances will be higher for these positions over the course of a season. So, a C- fielder (say .955 fielding percentage) is going to make many more errors than a B- fielder (.970 fielding percentage) due to the number of chances in the field. Your other positions would have fewer chances and thus fewer errors as whole.

While the C- fielder will make more "-" plays than the B- fielder at these positions, niether will have enough range to make any "+" plays and from my experience your are looking at a small difference in "-" plays between the 2 (say around 10-15 for the C- guy and 6-8 for the B- guy depending on the position). Thus, for range I wouldn't be concerned between the two as I would for errors.

This is all dependent upon position of course...as your 1B can get away with C- for either fielding or range and probably perform as well as the B- guy over the course of a season.

Here's my question: I often find that I rely on ERC+ and ERC# when drafting players and use this search stat on an equal level as OAV+/#, BB/9+/# and HR/9+/#, but I still have no idea if this stat is used in the engine's log5 formula or what would this number translate to (XBH allowed?). Is ERC+/# a worthwhile stat to use when selecting players and why or why not?

I see this question in two parts. First, I’ll answer the question: Is ERC used to determine the result of a PA?  The short answer is no, the primary stats used to determine the outcome of a PA are bb/pa, h/ab, hr/h.  In all cases both the raw stat and the pitcher's league average is used.  Earned Runs Created (ERC) is definitely not used at any significant level and is likely not used at all in any outcome calculations.  As someone else noted, other than HRs, pitchers have little influence on the hit type in the sim.

The second question is more direct: Is ERC+/# a worthwhile stat to use when selecting players and why or why not? ERC# is a good general estimator for a pitcher's ability to avoid (or allow) runs, but I would only use it as a rough tool to sort out potential pitchers. The reason is, that  ERC# is a composite stat and will be blind to your strategy, ball park or league. You are far better off focusing on the three stats: (BB/9#, oav# and HR/9#) that most directly correlate to what your pitcher can control. 
3/6/2013 10:38 PM
Posted by italyprof on 3/6/2013 7:31:00 PM (view original):

Put the better fielding grade in CF and the lower fielding grade in LF or RF.
3/6/2013 11:06 PM
i almost always let sparky put the OF in position.
3/7/2013 9:23 AM
12 Next ▸
10 Good Questions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.