NFL Offseason Thread Topic

Dumervil to Ravens.  Kind of changes things a bit, huh.
3/24/2013 5:07 PM
The best team in the history of the NFL just got better?
3/24/2013 6:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2013 6:22:00 PM (view original):
The best team in the history of the NFL just got better?
huh?  The Ravens got better, sure, but I don't think anyone has called them the best team in the history of the NFL.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I said Denver would be the favorite in the AFC and this doesn't change that in my mind.
3/24/2013 7:04 PM
Just making fun of you as you insisted that the players the Ravens lost really didn't amount to much.   Therefore, it would stand to reason, that additions aren't all that important either.   After all, they did win the SB without Dumervil.
3/24/2013 8:46 PM
The lock to win the division just made..it..more..of a lock.
3/24/2013 11:08 PM
who said anything about a lock?  I love how you idiots put words in people's mouths and then act like that was what was said.
3/25/2013 8:52 AM
Your words said that Baltimore was easily the best team in the North, that they were virtually guaranteed a home playoff game where they seldom lose and that the lose of 8 starters really wasn't that big of a deal.

You tell us what you really meant.
3/25/2013 9:00 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2013 8:46:00 PM (view original):
Just making fun of you as you insisted that the players the Ravens lost really didn't amount to much.   Therefore, it would stand to reason, that additions aren't all that important either.   After all, they did win the SB without Dumervil.
when the additions are better than the people that are lost, it does actually matter especially when the Ravens landed Dumervil for less money than Cleveland paid Kruger, who is a lesser version of Dumervil.

Lewis, Ellerbe, Williams, and Reed were big losses.  I have never claimed otherwise, my point has always been that the Ravens still have plenty of pieces and their demise has been greatly exaggerated.  They do still need some safety help though and could use another MLB to start or at least back-up McClain and McCellan (Ayanbadejo and Bynes aren't good enough back-ups in my view), but Dumervil, Canty, and Spears have solidified the pass rush on the line and LB.  I mean they have Ngata, Cody, Canty, Spears, McPhee, Dumervil, Suggs, and Upshaw on the line and OLB.  That is a pretty damn good 8 player rotation from those 5 spots and Webb coming back from injury replaces Williams at CB so they have a nice 4-some there with Webb, Smith, Graham, and Brown.  Safety is a big problem right now, though, but I have the utmost confidence that Newsome and company will have that worked out before the season starts.  Same thing at OT with McKinnie or a replacement for him.  Rest of the line and offense will be fine.

3/25/2013 9:02 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 9:00:00 AM (view original):
Your words said that Baltimore was easily the best team in the North, that they were virtually guaranteed a home playoff game where they seldom lose and that the lose of 8 starters really wasn't that big of a deal.

You tell us what you really meant.
easily the best team in the AFC North does not make them a lock.  I've also said it wouldn't totally surprise me if they didn't win the division, you see in football sometimes the best team doesn't win or under performs or gets decimated by injuries or any number of things.

Just like New England is easily the best team in the AFC East and Denver is easily the best team in the AFC West.  That doesn't mean they are locks to win though, it just means they should.

3/25/2013 9:03 AM
Posted by moranis on 3/25/2013 9:02:00 AM (view original):
when the additions are better than the people that are lost, it does actually matter especially when the Ravens landed Dumervil for less money than Cleveland paid Kruger, who is a lesser version of Dumervil.

Lewis, Ellerbe, Williams, and Reed were big losses.  I have never claimed otherwise, my point has always been that the Ravens still have plenty of pieces and their demise has been greatly exaggerated.  They do still need some safety help though and could use another MLB to start or at least back-up McClain and McCellan (Ayanbadejo and Bynes aren't good enough back-ups in my view), but Dumervil, Canty, and Spears have solidified the pass rush on the line and LB.  I mean they have Ngata, Cody, Canty, Spears, McPhee, Dumervil, Suggs, and Upshaw on the line and OLB.  That is a pretty damn good 8 player rotation from those 5 spots and Webb coming back from injury replaces Williams at CB so they have a nice 4-some there with Webb, Smith, Graham, and Brown.  Safety is a big problem right now, though, but I have the utmost confidence that Newsome and company will have that worked out before the season starts.  Same thing at OT with McKinnie or a replacement for him.  Rest of the line and offense will be fine.

Of the 8 starters lost, which replacements are better?
3/25/2013 9:06 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 9:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 3/25/2013 9:02:00 AM (view original):

Of the 8 starters lost, which replacements are better?
Webb (Williams), Canty (Kemoeatu), McClain (Ellerbe) - this assumes Webb and McClain are in fact healthy.

The ones that haven't been replaced so I can't tell you are Reed, Lewis, Boldin.  Gradkowski is not as good as Birk (though is much younger and it was only a matter of time before they moved him in) and Ihedigbo is not as good as Pollard (McKinnie hasn't officially left so he is not a lost starter).  I don't anticipate Lewis, Reed, or Boldin being upgraded, but until such time as they are officially replaced I leave that as a question mark.

Dumervil upgrades returning starting OLB Upshaw and Spears upgrades potential returning starter DE Jones (Jones still hasn't signed anywhere).
3/25/2013 9:49 AM
No, no, no.

The Browns are going to shock everyone and win the AFC North on their way to the Super Bowl.

I'm glad I could provide everyone with that laughter.

3/25/2013 10:10 AM
I actually think the Browns will be a much better team next year and wouldn't be all that surprised to see them anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the AFC North.  They have actually drafted pretty well of late and have a lot of young talent.  They need it to all come together and I'm not sure Weedon is the man at QB, but if he can improve a bit, I think they will be a pretty tough out for anyone.
3/25/2013 10:22 AM
If the Browns are extremely lucky, they might have an outside chance at a wild card. They did that once before and then lost their only playoff game when they probably should have won it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Browns win, though. I'm a fan of the underdog and of teams that continually lose finally winning.

3/25/2013 10:43 AM
Posted by moranis on 3/25/2013 10:22:00 AM (view original):
I actually think the Browns will be a much better team next year and wouldn't be all that surprised to see them anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the AFC North.  They have actually drafted pretty well of late and have a lot of young talent.  They need it to all come together and I'm not sure Weedon is the man at QB, but if he can improve a bit, I think they will be a pretty tough out for anyone.
I've thought this before about the Browns, and I'm generally proved wrong.  I think next year, the problem IS Weeden - I just don't think he's very good.  I think they're a 7 win team at best.
3/25/2013 10:54 AM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸
NFL Offseason Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.