Released Player Question Topic

Instead of the Marlins letting Ozzie go, he could have coached in the minors.
3/23/2013 9:48 PM
First time owner here.   We are in the off season FA period.   I found a released player from another team I want.   The player was not waived...  just flat out released.    I only have 600k available in player payroll.   The released player is showing up in the FA market asking 4 mil for the next 3 years.    My strategy is simple.   I want to claim this guy since he was released and not be on the hook for the big contract.     How do I aquire him at the league minimum while the other owner picks up the remaining contract ?    Again , I only have 600k in avail payroll at the moment.   This is my only option to aquire any more players that will impact my line-up.   How do I get him ?
7/9/2013 3:00 PM
I don't think the situation you're describing will allow you to get him at the league minimum.   Sounds like the player was NOT under contract at the time of the release.
7/9/2013 3:04 PM
Yeah, that definitely sounds like an arbitration-eligible who was released prior to arbitration.  You can wait and see if no one else wants him and how far his demands comes down, but that's it.
7/9/2013 3:06 PM
ok.. update to the dilemma..  looks like this player does not have a contract.   His status is "released" - but he has no contract.   Perhaps when an owner refuses a large FA contract demand ... status changes to "released" ?    This impacts my strategy obviously...  looks like this player can only be signed for the 4 mil per his demand.   
7/9/2013 3:07 PM
No, the status changes to released when you release a player.  An arbitration-eligible player is under team control, but not under contract, until they either go through arbitration or sign a long term deal.  So they have to be released if you don't want to pay them, and then they become just like regular free agents since they didn't have a contract.
7/9/2013 3:10 PM
Unless something has changed, I seem to remember that if a player was released while under contract, he'll tell you he only needs the minimum on the negotiation screen.

That being said, the technical term for dumping an arbitration eligble player is to non-tender (as in not tendering them a contract), not release, so they could change that status to be more clear, but I don't see it as a necessity.
7/9/2013 3:12 PM
Damn...   I thought I found a mini-gold mine.     I ran report on released players and looked for any possible upgrades.    Gonna have to take it a step further and make sure said released plyrs are under contract.   
7/9/2013 3:14 PM
That's correct.   "Since I already have a BL deal, I'm only asking for the minimum".    On the waiver screen, it will show 327k(or the pro-rated minimum).
7/9/2013 3:14 PM
Posted by milmont77 on 7/9/2013 3:14:00 PM (view original):
Damn...   I thought I found a mini-gold mine.     I ran report on released players and looked for any possible upgrades.    Gonna have to take it a step further and make sure said released plyrs are under contract.   
Keep in mind that any of these players were released because their current teams didn't think they were worth their arbitration number for a year, so they may go unsigned for a while and have their demands drop significantly.  Don't know if this guy would get down far enough to help you out, but demands do drop.
7/9/2013 3:23 PM

He's not likely to drop below 600k. 

milmont, just check the WW.   That's where the cheapies will be(if they were released).

7/9/2013 3:33 PM
Well, at least not if he's legitimately useful. 
7/9/2013 3:43 PM
One thing that i realized is if you have a guy on a bad contract in the minors making multiple million dollars and a player on your ml roster gets hurt you can call that guy up and it doesn't increase his salary or take more money from your payroll where if you do that with a would be rookie it would increase his salary and take money out of your payroll that you may or may not have depending on how you have budgeted your money to that point
7/9/2013 5:16 PM
I generally grab a player or two during ST, with options, to send to the minors for injury emergency call-ups.   I also don't fall off much when I have injuries because of this. 
7/9/2013 6:28 PM
I believe that players whose salary demand (in the FA pool) reads "pro" have been released, while under contract. Most managers are savvy enough not to release a player while under contract, but there are always a few in the FA pool. Just because the salary demand reads "pro" doesn't automatically mean he has been released while under contract, but that will be the reading for any that have been. I hope we will get some feed back from some more experienced and knowledgeable than I, to completely clarify my statement, but I do believe this to be accurate.
7/12/2013 1:17 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Released Player Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.