ODL LXII Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...
3/23/2013 3:10 PM
Like I say to Sky all the time..."Crazy, not Stupid"
3/23/2013 3:13 PM
Absurd...that's harsh. Possibly ecclectic, or unusual, maybe even obscure..but absurd. Ah man..that's cold. hehehe, See you on the CyberWood punk. lol
3/23/2013 3:27 PM
Thanks for the update with the staggered colors scud. It's easy to differentiate between everyone's picks and it flat out looks cool.

3/23/2013 10:49 PM
lol... thanks, van.
3/23/2013 11:39 PM
1. jethroeg - Wilt Chamberlain, Kevin Johnson, Willis Reed, Drazen Petrovic, Adrian Dantley,          

Good start gone bad.  Not enough boards.  Good efg%, but you're losing the possession battle badly.

2. seapilots Lebron James, Larry Nance, Gerald Wallace, Emeka Okafor, Nate McMillian               

Was with you till McMillan.  Suddenly your team seems much weaker than before.  Weak on the boards.

3. scudmissle Michael Jordan, Donyell Marshall, Kevin Love, Samuel Dalembert, Maurice Cheeks        

Dalembert is a slam dunk.  Not feeling Cheeks.  No 3s? No boards? No service.

4. banditone Moses Malone, Paul Pierce, Spencer Haywood, Chuck Person, Don Buse,            

No & no.

5. xxevilivexx 
Dennis Rodman, Dikembe Mutombo, Tracy McGrady, Jose Calderon,             

Calderon was a nice fit here.

6. mikee1
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, Horace Grant, Wes Unseld, Jason Terry,                  

Both Unseld & Terry are nice pieces to this puzzle.  I like what you've got in both the shooting struggle and possession battle now.

7. 98average
Dwight Howard, Elton Brand, Mookie Blaylock, Patrick Ewing, Rodney McCray              

I like it.  It doesn't seem to dominate in any real facet but will be competitive in all of them.

8. dh555
Dwayne Wade, Bill Walton, Mel Daniels, Jerry West, Bo Outlaw,                    

I kinda like the West pick and love the Outlaw pick but think you're at a serious need of treys.

9. coachcroft -  
Shaquille O'Neal, Brent Barry, Manu Ginobili, Andrei Kirilenko, AC Green,              

ak47 confused me.  You already have a SG in Barry.  Unless you're doing a rotation, and in that case it makes sense (along with the Green pick).  If ak is SF and Green is PF, you're losing the possession battle badly.

10. theyard2 - Karl Malone, Robert Parish, James Harden, Charles Oakley, Andre Iguodala,               

Oakley made sense to me.  Iggy didn't.  Do you have enough dimes to feed the Mailman?

11ncmusician- Charles Barkley, Chauncey Billups, Serge Ibaka, Joakim Noah, Joe Dumars,                            

This team has 3 small forwards.  Noah has some good seasons to use at the 4/5 tho, so it's all good.  Nice defensive backcourt.  I still feel like you're losing in the possession battle, though (rebounds specifically).

12. felonius -
Bill Russell, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, Carlos Boozer, Paul Millsap,              

That Russell pick looks pretty smart paired with Boozer.  Millsap is a personal favorite of mine.  I like the squad.  Good solid control of the possession battle while remaining competitive in the shooting struggle.

13. ashamael -
David Robinson, Marcus Camby, Steve Nash, Cedric Maxwell, Stephen Curry,           

Cornbread gives me more efg% and decent boards at the 3.  Curry was a flex pick: he can start at the 2, backup the 1, backup the 2 or be part of a 3-man back court rotation (most likely the last).

14. cmcafeeky -
Chris Paul, Kevin McHale, Tom Boerwinkle, Reggie Miller, Dirk Nowitzki,       

Reggie in round 4 was thievery.  I loved the squad till Dirk.  You didn't need his offense, and he gives you a big weakness on the boards.  He basically does nothing but take shots away from McHale & Miller here, and both are bad things.

15. skypilot -
Hakeem Olajuwon, Rajon Rondo, Marques Johnson, Sydney Moncrief, Clifford Ray,              

so you're gonna show everyone you can win the ODL without 3s.  Good luck.  The only thing I like about this squad is the defense.

16. tadmand -
Kevin Garnett, Scottie Pippen, Bobby Jones, Bob McAdoo, Gus Johnson,           

McAdoo was a steal, but I feel he doesn't fit your team at all.  I think you're very weak on the boards now with him, Garnett & Jones as your frontcourt... and  Gus Johnson is just a mystery to me.

17. jhsukow -
Larry Bird, Deron Williams, Swen Nater, Shawn Kemp, Toni Kukoc,            

Not real sure what Kukoc is doing here at this point in time... backing up Bird?  Really messes with all the good feelings I had for this squad.  Not losing hope yet, though!

18. poppapomp -
Artis Gilmore, Anfernee Hardaway, Alex English, Anthony Mason, Alvin Robertson,     

I'd be ****** if you were picking for me.  In fact, I'm going to recommend you be banned from picking for anyone else.  This is a mess.  At least all five names start with an A... since if I were handing out grades it would be an F (English & Robertson ruin it).

19. smokey57 -
Julius Erving, Bob Lanier, Terry Porter, Bill Bridges, Kermit Washington,        

Average squad.  Will be competitive in both the shooting struggle & possession battle but won't dominate either.  You'll be outscored by weaker teams who shoot more threes, and the W is determined by who has the highest score at the end of the game.

20. krishnaman - Ben Wallace, Tyson Chandler, Amare Stoudemire, Mark Price, Walt Frazier

If you use the right versions of everyone and do as I originally thought (putting Stat at the 3), I absolutely love this squad.  Frazier doesn't give you the threes I'd want for myself, but he does cover a major weakness of Price (defense & rebounding).  You're doing extremely well in the shooting struggle and possession battle here.  This team needs treys off the bench and I'm a huge fan.

21. eleibowitz -
Magic Johnson, Tim Duncan, Antonio McDyess, Wesley Person, Jerome Williams

Person and Williams were both excellent.  I think of what this team could have been with the proper small forward... still a competitive squad.

22. natenoy -
Jerry Jucas, John Stockton, Alonzo Mourning, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony

Melo's a backup to Kobe & with the turnaround really close, you'll be able to grab starter #5 quickly... I actually almost always draft a backup before my fifth starter, so it's a move I applaud you for.  When Kobe goes off the court, you've got basically the same thing minus the defense.  I'm not a huge Kobe fan in the sim, but he does give some good stuff, and with Stockton in tow, he should produce at a high level for you.  Really curious to know who is going to man the 3 for you at this point, but I'm excited to see this squad.

23. vancem -
Kevin Durant, Shawn Marion, Pau Gasol, Charlie Ward, Kris Humphries

Nothing to not like.  Maybe a smidge weak on the boards but probably not.  You'll be competitive in all 3 facets of the game with this squad and is, at this moment in time, a major contender in my mind.

24. tarheel1991 -
Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Andrew Bynum, Buck Williams, Andrew Bogut,

Buck was a steal.  I'm assuming Bogut's a backup...

3/24/2013 9:10 PM (edited)
as per always... just my honest opinion.  Mostly, I see a lot of 30-50 win teams.  That's what this league is.  Only a couple of teams really end up standing out and dominate their division, goin on to win 50+ games.  There's usually a couple of bottom feeders that only win 20 or so games.  Then there's about 20 teams that are within 10 games of .500 one way or the other.

This year feels no different.

3/24/2013 9:12 PM
Ash, you actually think you can score 3's against either mine or Poppa's team. Good luck, your welcome to all the 3/18 games you want. I don''t remember the last time a team beat me on 3's. It's a fantasy, with the back court def I bring, it never happens.
3/24/2013 10:04 PM
There's so much parity in the offenses of these teams, that there's no advantage to really be had. Defense is a place where some advantage can be carved out. In the final analysis, the top teams will be equal in offense and the best defensive team will win it. Too many teams don't have the players to pay attention to def rotation.
3/24/2013 10:24 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/24/2013 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Ash, you actually think you can score 3's against either mine or Poppa's team. Good luck, your welcome to all the 3/18 games you want. I don''t remember the last time a team beat me on 3's. It's a fantasy, with the back court def I bring, it never happens.
Think what you will.  You're wrong, but you have a right to be wrong.
3/24/2013 10:33 PM
smokey, terry porter's defense won't slow down either Billups or Dumars (whichever player he is guarding on my team).  ash, I fully except to keep my streak of always winning 50+ games in this league going.
3/24/2013 11:01 PM
Porter's def won't slow down anyone, it's Julius def100 that will. With def optimization, Dr J will follow the shooter. I love Dumar @ SG, I would have taken him for poppa if you didn't snatch him. My backup guard will finish the back court def, and minimize the effect of Porter's subpar def.
3/24/2013 11:36 PM
BTW - when the draft is finished, I'll send Poppa the two rosters that I draft and he can have his pick, the Lanier team or the Gilmore team. I'll take either, I like them both. Thats fair right?
3/24/2013 11:41 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/24/2013 11:36:00 PM (view original):
Porter's def won't slow down anyone, it's Julius def100 that will. With def optimization, Dr J will follow the shooter. I love Dumar @ SG, I would have taken him for poppa if you didn't snatch him. My backup guard will finish the back court def, and minimize the effect of Porter's subpar def.
First of all - Porter's defense is not subpar.  50 is average.  Anything above 50 is above average.  When someone calls a 60 defender a subpar defender, it makes my brain hurt.  When someone calls an 80 defender bad, it makes my brain sizzle.  Both have happened in this thread (it was not you that did it both times).

You vastly overestimate the effect of 100 defense.  Yes, it's better than 90 defense or 80 defense or 50 or 35 or 10, but if you think it will shut down a well constructed offense, well... you're just wrong.  Will it make the back court guys shoot less than if they were up against a 50 defender?  Sure.  But will it completely shut them down to the point where they can't make anything?  No way.

The Mustangs went 67/180 (37.2%) from deep against your Board Lords who featured better wing & back court defenders than your ODL team has.  37% is still pretty damn good from 3 point land.  It's not 45%, but I'll take a 37% average from deep against a good defensive team any day.

There's a $50m cap theme league running right now that's one of the sim's oldest running themes (EOL).  That's $3m higher cap than this one.  Know the defenses of the team with the best record's back court?  34 & 35.  Know why that team had the best record in the league?  It scored more points than its opponent almost 70 percent of the time.  Know why?  It was built on proven principles that you just continually reject with an offhanded gesture.  It's cool that you are trying your way.  I applaud that.  But don't tell people that know something works that it doesn't work.  Not only is it rude, it displays a great amount of ignorance.  I know what works.  I'm not saying other things don't work, but I know that my particular strategy works.  I have a pretty good track record to back that up, too.

3/25/2013 12:04 AM (edited)
getting toasty in here!
3/25/2013 12:12 AM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...20 Next ▸
ODL LXII Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.