ODL LXII Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Posted by tadmand on 3/17/2013 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Why do two players with same total rebounds and same total minutes have different reb%?  I am guessing that their teams may have more/less total rebounds. If so, which stat becomes more reflective of rebounding skills?
Oreb% and Dreb%
3/17/2013 2:17 PM

ncmusician...I am comparing total rebounds.  Your reply does not address my question.

3/17/2013 2:27 PM
Posted by tadmand on 3/17/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):

ncmusician...I am comparing total rebounds.  Your reply does not address my question.

My reply answered ur 2nd question.  As to the first, it has to do with teammates and pace.
3/17/2013 2:59 PM
Posted by tadmand on 3/17/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):

oreb%/dreb% refer to the percentage of missed shots on either end that a guy got when he was on the court (although I think it's an estimate, not exact). It can be influenced by pace, field goal percentage of his team and the opposing team, etc. Some games have 80 missed shots, some games have 100 missed shots, so playing the same amount of minutes and getting the same amount of rebounds wouldn't produce the same rebounding percentages
3/17/2013 3:42 PM
tu guys for the input
3/17/2013 4:12 PM
Ash are you going to do evals?
3/17/2013 4:29 PM
I'll certainly add commentary and even maybe do some evals for people who want them... but can't promise anything!
3/17/2013 4:44 PM
Posted by vancem on 3/17/2013 9:43:00 AM (view original):
Is Kevin Durant a steal at # 23 in this league or what. I know that he's only 99% at SG but I couldn't pass up his overall advanced stats and the over 31% usage at the 23rd pick could I? Never used him before at all so it will be fun building around him. But as a true PDXer and huge Blazer's fan I hate that guy LOL!

Steal of the draft thus far IMO.  Durant is #13 on my big board.
3/17/2013 4:51 PM
Posted by ashamael on 3/17/2013 4:44:00 PM (view original):
I'll certainly add commentary and even maybe do some evals for people who want them... but can't promise anything!
Appreciate anything that you do Ash!
3/17/2013 4:51 PM
After this smokey/poppa pick gets figured out, I'm next. Would be willing to trade down if someone hasn't picked in the Second round yet. SM me.
3/17/2013 5:00 PM
Check your sitemail.
3/17/2013 5:05 PM
tarheel1991 - Jason Kidd, Ray Allen

I really dig this combo.  Kidd is the best pure support player in the sim after the Worm.  He gives you boards, defense and threes from the point guard position in addition to the normal high ast%.  Low fouls & decently low tov%# (my own personal stat that takes assists into account for turnover percentage.  It brings low usage point guards more in line with higher usage players).  He can guard Allen's man.  Allen is (imo) the 2nd best bomber in the sim, yet I like him better in this pairing than the guy I believe to be the best bomber.  Love this pairing and look forward to see who 'heel puts in the front court with 'em.

vancem - Kevin Durant, Shawn Marion

As I said earlier, I had Durant #13 on my big board... so getting him at 23 was great value in my opinion.  Matrix is a great compliment as well.  Vance can now focus on getting the best fit for his team's utility instead of worrying about getting enough usage, as he's got 10 points right now.  Both Marion & Durant are good rebounders for their positions, and both have good efg%.  Both play good defense and foul very little.  I love this start.

natenoy - Jerry Lucas, John Stockton

I feel like these picks should have been reversed.  Stockton is a first rounder in this league, despite only being a 4th tier usage player.  He does too many good things to be a second rounder... so the fact that you scooped him up when you did is very, very nice.  Lucas, I feel, is a bit overrated by owners in the sim.  I feel like he's a mid-late 2nd rounder, as there are guys that rebound better & play better defense still available.  He's a tier 5 usage player in his season that his fg% is really high, so, again, I feel like you could have done better when looking at support Big Men.  However, you do have the support in place for the offensive barrage you're going to put upon everyone in the later rounds, so I like the mindset even if I am not a huge fan of the Lucas pick itself.

eleibowitz - Magic Johnson, Tim Duncan

Once upon a time, I would call Magic at 21 a steal.  I might still, but I've refined the way I evaluate players and Magic just doesn't rank as high with me as he did before.  Still... 100+ 3s, 52% efg%, tons of fta with 90% make rate, tier 3 usage, 30%+ ast%, good rebounding for a PG and low fouls... hard to argue against that.  Especially at 21.  Duncan... here's a guy I used to rag on, but I actually really like these days.  I feel like Duncan is a top 15 pick now for his 06-07 season, despite the fact that it's only 2700 minutes.  A tier 2, almost 55% fg% guy with over 35% creb that can play the 4 or 5... good defense... low fouls... okay at getting to line (but doesn't shine).  His rookie season is pretty damn good, too... just a tad below David Robinson's 90-91 season imo.  Either way you go, it's a solid building block for a team.  Thus, I feel getting him where you did is not just a great value, but an incredible steal.  You've got most of your needed usage taken care of and have virtually no weaknesses going forward while holding a great draft position near the turnaround to really take advantage later.  Well done, I say.

krishnaman - Ben Wallace, Tyson Chandler

Well, you certainly have your support bigs out of the way.  If you're looking at building a team around a high-volume scorer, you've certainly started off right.  Wallace is a monster on the defensive boards while being solid on the offensive ones, while Chandler is solid on both.  Chandler also gives you a few points at a really high shooting percentage from the floor, so even though he's a tier 6 (or tier 5 if you use the excellent Dallas season) usage player, he does give you some good offensive stuff.  I personally don't like building around a high volume scorer, but I have seen many who do it well and are successful doing so.  I'm really intrigued to see who you're building around.

smokey57 - Julius Erving, Bob Lanier

Personally, I feel like I'm looking at a team's 2nd & 3rd round picks and wondering if they traded away their first round pick.  I know you like Erving, but he's not 1st round material in this league.  Erving would work well with krishnaman's team as the high volume guy, but Lanier's not the kind of guy you put with him.  I'll have to see more to be convinced that this is anything more than a lottery team.

poppapump - Artis Gilmore, Penny Hardaway

Excellent pairing thus far.  Penny goes about where he should (maybe a tad early, but not much if at all).  He brings great defense, good efg% at a 3rd tier usage rate, decent rebounding for a point... lots of good in the foul factor, as well.  A little low on ast%, but getting the right guys at the 2 or 3 will make up for that.  Gilmore is a stud, depending on the season used.  I personally like the 3rd tier usage, 3400 minute, 58% fg% version.

xxevilivexx - Dennis Rodman, Dikembe Mutombo

Trading up to grab Mutombo when you already had Rodman kind of surprised me.  This is what I don't like about Mutombo:  his best rebounding season is only slightly above average defensive season.  It's kind of like the Bill Russell problem of perception for me... when I think Mt. Mutombo, I think defense.  But then the player I'm getting is not really that great at defense.  Yeah, you can take a bit of a board hit and go with the higher defense option, but there are better rebounding options available that can play more than just center at that point who have just as good defense.  Really annoying to me.  Anyway... you've got the ultimate support in Worm, and now have added either more boards or more defense in Mutombo, so that's a good pair.  Seems like you're gunning for a high volume scorer.  We'll see how it all turns out!

3/17/2013 5:45 PM (edited)
Thanks for the evals ash, good stuff.

I took Lucas because for some reason he seems to consistently outperform his advanced statistics in the sim. Two ODL's ago tar had him and Lucas crushed me in the finals, in the last ODL I took him with my first pick and made it to the finals (actually defeating tar along the way in the conference finals.)

I only have data for the last $52mill league, (tar had him again there). Lucas was 572/976 and 36/89 from three for an efg of 60.45 (higher than his RL 56.7 efg) and 16.2 ppg. He also had only 152 to's for the season (182 in RL) and had 1066 boards or 13.0 a game, while Big Ben and Mutumbo both averaged only 12.6 rpg and other players with better advanced stats than Lucas did not equal his performance.

Maybe it has something to do with the way teams are constructed or maybe my sample size is too small to draw a conclusion from, but for some reason Lucas has been way better in the actual sim than should be expected, maybe this will be the season he isn't and maybe someone has a theory on why a small handful of guys do better in the sim than they should.
3/17/2013 8:55 PM
top 5 pg still out there and rondo gets the nod.....now hes prob gonna go to ash...awesome
3/17/2013 9:12 PM
Maybe it has something to do with the way teams are constructed or maybe my sample size is too small to draw a conclusion from, but for some reason Lucas has been way better in the actual sim than should be expected, maybe this will be the season he isn't and maybe someone has a theory on why a small handful of guys do better in the sim than they should.

It mainly stems for the fact that every team makeup is different... not just your team, but the teams you face.  I tend to analyze the crap out of stuff, so I often see trends like you see.  Sometimes, you're able to explain them later.  Sometimes you can't.  There's a certain point guard that I convinced alot of people a long time ago that was much better than they gave credit for.  Years later, I figured out exactly why he always outperformed his RL stats... I can't say his name yet because he hasn't been drafted, but when he does, I'll explain the situation more in full.
3/17/2013 9:13 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...20 Next ▸
ODL LXII Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.