Not enough 3s in the game Topic

While I don't have the time to look through every team, it seems teams typically shoot 15-18 3's a game.    Some much less, some a bit more but not much..  Meanwhile in RL, teams shoot more than that.  Michigan state is #308 in the nation for attempted 3s, and they shoot over 14 3s a game.  Any more in HD that seems like the norm.
3/15/2013 3:23 PM
I think thats more because HD coaches choose not to shoot 3s as much. With the +/- settings we have a lot more control over that than a RL coach.
3/15/2013 3:39 PM
Are we sure the total number of shot attempts reflect real life?
3/15/2013 3:54 PM
There was a team in my conference that shot like 2 a game last season
3/15/2013 7:30 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This isn't a flaw in the game, it simply pends on how a coach sets his 3pt settings.  My Roanoke team last season took 34 threes per game because I decided to just jack it.  
3/15/2013 8:23 PM
I think you could make the case that players with good per(that are playable in terms of ath and def, etc) are not common enough.
3/15/2013 8:59 PM
I'd have to agree that it's mostly a matter of coaches choosing not to shoot the threes... Look at the sim teams - they jack up threes at a rate that seems (at a casual glance) to mirror real life fairly closely
3/15/2013 9:09 PM
Definitely the decision of the coach.  It's very easy to have a team jack up a bunch of threes.  Give high distro to the guards, set 'em at a +2 three point setting and let it fly.  Voila, a ton of threes (and probably a loss to go along with it).
3/15/2013 10:15 PM
Posted by pjbrankin on 3/15/2013 8:59:00 PM (view original):
I think you could make the case that players with good per(that are playable in terms of ath and def, etc) are not common enough.
I think that you could make the case that coaches undervalue how good high Per can make up for other deficiencies.
3/15/2013 10:21 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 3/15/2013 10:16:00 PM (view original):
Definitely the decision of the coach.  It's very easy to have a team jack up a bunch of threes.  Give high distro to the guards, set 'em at a +2 three point setting and let it fly.  Voila, a ton of threes (and probably a loss to go along with it).
I think this is my point, but I didn't make it. If you jack up a tone of 3s you aren't going to win in this game on a regular basis, and by jack up I mean hit the RL average
3/15/2013 11:07 PM
Posted by cburton23 on 3/15/2013 11:07:00 PM (view original):
I think this is my point, but I didn't make it. If you jack up a tone of 3s you aren't going to win in this game on a regular basis, and by jack up I mean hit the RL average
Hey CB, didn't mean to come off as a smartass and I apologize if you took it that way.  All I was really trying to point out (in a short version story) is that coaches CAN shoot that many threes if they so choose, but the way that this game is set up that might not be the best of choices.  Can it work?  Absolutely, if you have the right personnel.  Can it work for just any average team?  Probably not.
3/15/2013 11:11 PM
what is the real life average? like, you posted michigan state, but what is the 150-200th team or whatever the median is? i think the reality is in HD the low end teams shoot WAY less than in real life, but its not clear to me if the median is lower, and the high end, im not sure about that either.

also, i totally disagree, taking a bunch of 3s can be very effective. i dont think hitting the real life average, whatever that may be (1 in 3 to 1 in 4 shots?) is going over the line, you can be very efficient.

i agree with the earlier poster who suggested one needs to look at the fga too, to make sure its not just a case of fewer shots. would be interesting to know the 3pta % (not the 3ptm %, but % of fgs thant are 3s) compares to real like for median teams, high end teams (in terms of 3pta %), and low end teams. if HD doesnt match the stats of life, its a legitimate concern, but i think gathering some of that data is needed to make a strong case for things being out of whack.
3/15/2013 11:56 PM
Posted by gillispie on 3/15/2013 11:56:00 PM (view original):
what is the real life average? like, you posted michigan state, but what is the 150-200th team or whatever the median is? i think the reality is in HD the low end teams shoot WAY less than in real life, but its not clear to me if the median is lower, and the high end, im not sure about that either.

also, i totally disagree, taking a bunch of 3s can be very effective. i dont think hitting the real life average, whatever that may be (1 in 3 to 1 in 4 shots?) is going over the line, you can be very efficient.

i agree with the earlier poster who suggested one needs to look at the fga too, to make sure its not just a case of fewer shots. would be interesting to know the 3pta % (not the 3ptm %, but % of fgs thant are 3s) compares to real like for median teams, high end teams (in terms of 3pta %), and low end teams. if HD doesnt match the stats of life, its a legitimate concern, but i think gathering some of that data is needed to make a strong case for things being out of whack.
As I said, with the right personnel, taking a lot of threes CAN be very effective (think Bingball).  No question, it can, and has, worked well enough to win NC's several times.  But his teams were set up specifically to play that way.

With just an average, randomly picked team, jacking up tons of threes is probably not going to be a very good idea.  Yes, you can win a few games here or there, may even break even, but for the majority of those teams, it's bye-bye, go home with another loss.  And I say that with "udder" confidence.
3/16/2013 12:02 AM
You're really milkin that one for all it's worth, eh?
3/16/2013 1:10 AM
123 Next ▸
Not enough 3s in the game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.