Improving scholarship messages with no new effort Topic

Weird series of scholarship messages in a recent battle; I placed no recruiting effort between these 3 messages.

Day 2, 5 PM:  "If I had to give you an answer,  I'd have to say no, but I just can't decide yet.  I need more time.  I'm sure you understand, right?"

Day 3, 2 AM:  "Coach, I'm really on the fence right now - there are a couple of other schools I really like right now too. I can't decide just yet."

Day 3, 8 PM:  "Coach, it's down to a handful of schools - you're on my very short list. I just can't say yes right now until I've made my final campus visits. At it stands right now, you're my top choice though."

The other guy did not try to redshirt this recruit.  Any clues as to why we might have gained without spending any money?  Or are these all flavors of, "you're very slightly behind?"

3/19/2013 12:26 PM
Well there is considering credit ...
3/19/2013 12:29 PM
Ah, good point.  The player had been considering my opponent from Cycle 1, and me from cycle 2.  I would have assumed that considering credit minimally favored the opponent, but I honestly don't understand how considering credit works.
3/19/2013 12:39 PM
That wouldn't be considering credit then. 

There's certainly a chance that the opponent did something -- informed of redshirt and/or withdrew or lessened promises -- that caused him to drop a bit.

The other possibility is that these messages are all so close together, that they're actually not 100% reliable as indicators of who is leading. I've definitely had a message that I was sure that I was leading and ended up being behind. It's a bad flaw in the game that they need to fix.
3/19/2013 1:25 PM
G
3/19/2013 1:26 PM
Do you have a higher prestige than your opponent?  I believe that during every cycle, a team with a prestige advantage gets a slight bump, although I wouldn't think it would be enough to move the needle as much as we saw in your example.  
3/19/2013 1:43 PM
Opponent has higher prestige (A vs. B+).  Also, I know the opponent, and know that he did not inform of redshirt, withdraw scholarship, or change promises.
3/19/2013 1:49 PM
Posted by girt25 on 3/19/2013 1:25:00 PM (view original):
That wouldn't be considering credit then. 

There's certainly a chance that the opponent did something -- informed of redshirt and/or withdrew or lessened promises -- that caused him to drop a bit.

The other possibility is that these messages are all so close together, that they're actually not 100% reliable as indicators of who is leading. I've definitely had a message that I was sure that I was leading and ended up being behind. It's a bad flaw in the game that they need to fix.
are you sure it wouldnt be considering credit? if that 2nd message was a tied type message, with the poster slightly leading (not enough to fall into the slightly leading category, however), i would think considering credit would favor him, regardless of who was on first. if the poster was slightly leading, just below the threshold for the slightly leading scholarship message, i could see considering credit tipping him over.
3/19/2013 2:00 PM
dedelman, it's worth sending a ticket if you feel like dealing with that.  I had a similar thing happen not too long ago where I went from a 100% trailing message to a 100% leading message while I was asleep.  My first thought was the other coach must have tried to RS for some reason, but that wasn't the case.  Neither of us put in any effort between the two conflicting messages.

I didn't bother with a ticket because I get tired of the "everything is working" line, but I'm positive there's some screwy things happening there.  We compared notes in detail after the fact and that positive message made absolutely no sense at all.

3/19/2013 2:28 PM
I would definitely send a ticket and request an explanation.

billyg, considering credit is not supposed to kick in nearly that early. That would mean it kicked in the very first cycle, and that's not supposed to happen.
3/19/2013 3:22 PM
if you dont put in more effort he will sign with the other school.  this happened to me recently.  customer service told me that it's a "misconception that scholarship messages actually mean you're ahead or behind". 

in other words, they don't want to figure out why their game has the occasional bug.
3/19/2013 3:41 PM
Posted by bow2dacowz on 3/19/2013 3:41:00 PM (view original):
if you dont put in more effort he will sign with the other school.  this happened to me recently.  customer service told me that it's a "misconception that scholarship messages actually mean you're ahead or behind". 

in other words, they don't want to figure out why their game has the occasional bug.
This perfectly sums up why I didn't send in a ticket.
3/19/2013 3:52 PM
Posted by girt25 on 3/19/2013 3:22:00 PM (view original):
I would definitely send a ticket and request an explanation.

billyg, considering credit is not supposed to kick in nearly that early. That would mean it kicked in the very first cycle, and that's not supposed to happen.
how do you figure that one? the message where he switched was the cycle of signings, was it not? so im not sure why it would have to kick in the very first cycle - and even if it did, how would that push them over?

it may be that our models of how considering credit works are different. but even if that is the case, im not sure im following you - the OP came on the 2nd cycle, the other team, the first cycle. 
3/19/2013 4:00 PM
was considering credit created by seble or old admin? anyone remember when it came out? seems like it was with potential, maybe, but it might have been something seble added in his potential fix... i cant remember
3/19/2013 4:01 PM
Posted by bow2dacowz on 3/19/2013 3:41:00 PM (view original):

could you post the entire ticket? id be interested to read that one. 
3/19/2013 4:02 PM
123 Next ▸
Improving scholarship messages with no new effort Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.