Worst D1 Programs, by Location Topic

I am doing some recruiting for UTEP and I almost never have a recruit within 360 miles that is recruitable (frequently there will be 1 or 2 guys, and often they're within grasp of Arizona, Arizona State, one of the southern California schools, or another Texas school).

This year there are 13 guys within 200 miles of UTEP and none can play Division 1 basketball.

Other bad schools? Hawaii? It seems like it might be okay because at least there is zero competition.

I've been told PR D2 schools are the worst, but I thought D1 was more relevant to this discussion since it's so much easier to recruit from distance at D2/D3.
3/19/2013 11:18 PM
I would think the Dakotas are a bit rough too...any small (by population) mountain state...Montana, Idaho, Wyoming...I'm at SW Minnesota State in D2, and there's not a lot local there either, but I guess it depends on what you're used to.  Hawaii's the worst and I would argue D2 is worse off since there are 4 D2 Hawaiian schools and you have less money.
3/19/2013 11:27 PM
the toughest D1 job I've had was at Missouri....never any real local talent...similar to you jonesy, once in a while youd get someone within 360 but they were always in range of other big schools with better prestige.  
3/19/2013 11:31 PM
I didn't realize UTEP was such a bad location, lol, wow!  Wyoming has 18 kids within 200 miles, and 2 within 100 this season.
3/19/2013 11:42 PM
I was at UTEP in Iba for a few seasons and it was by far the worst experience I have ever had in HD as far as recruiting goes. At the same time it just means that much more credit should go to you for what you have done in Rupp, not that you need it or anything
3/19/2013 11:45 PM
when i was at texas a&m, i always thought west texas (especially if near mexico) must be a horrible place to recruit
3/20/2013 2:07 AM
Out in the West Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl. 
Nighttime would find me in Rosa's Cantina, music would play and Falina would whirl...
3/20/2013 3:05 AM
Posted by bow2dacowz on 3/19/2013 11:31:00 PM (view original):
the toughest D1 job I've had was at Missouri....never any real local talent...similar to you jonesy, once in a while youd get someone within 360 but they were always in range of other big schools with better prestige.  
Mizzou and UTEP are not in the same stratosphere when it comes to degree of difficulty. I'm surprised you thought Mizzou was that bad.
3/20/2013 9:38 AM
Well guess what I haven't worked at UTEP, girt.  As I stated, the toughest D1 job I HAVE HAD was at Missouri.  Taking over a C+ prestige that generated 1 remotely quality recruit within 100 miles in the 6 seasons I was there (that was quickly scarfed up by Kansas, mind you) while surrounded by A- to A+ schools from the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC was challenging.  If that's not the case for you, or everyone else, that's fine.  I didn't say that it was.  

3/20/2013 10:19 AM
I think St. John's has to be the worst job in HD.  There's never any recruits in the NYC metro area..... ;)  just kidding.
3/20/2013 10:26 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/20/2013 2:07:00 AM (view original):
when i was at texas a&m, i always thought west texas (especially if near mexico) must be a horrible place to recruit
I realize its a D1 topic, but as a coach at Sul Ross St. in D3, I definitely have to agree. West Texas is largely one big ghost town.
3/20/2013 10:35 AM
Arkansas is a tough school to recruit at. Not much locally and everything that is local is within reach of better baseline Big 12 schools. 
3/20/2013 11:03 AM
the sheer luck of the draw, in what schools happen to be the big schools with the top recruiters, can make a bad job good and visa versa. i think its one of the biggest imbalances in the game, today. but it seems to me, UTEP is going to suck regardless! i mean, you'd have to have like, neither AZ pac10 school and none of the 4 texas big 12 schools above a b-, and you could probably do some damage, but then again, so could ANY high prestige school recruiting into the area at distance.
3/20/2013 11:33 AM
The biggest thing is that there just isn't a random net of people around the 200-350 mile mark like there would be at Missouri or somewhere like that. There is only desert. 
3/20/2013 2:03 PM
Hawaii is worse imo.
3/20/2013 2:06 PM
12 Next ▸
Worst D1 Programs, by Location Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.