Best Way to Draft. Topic

I just tried it using Safari, Chrome and Firefox on my Mac and it worked with all three browsers, copying/pasting directly from the HBD page into a Google spreadsheet. I assume you mean Column A, not Row A (google and Excel both use A-B-C etc. for vertical columns, and 1-2-3 etc. for horizontal rows. You might need to edit the text so there is a tab between each of a player's ratings and a return only at the end of each player's line.

If it's not going into Google Spreadsheets correctly, it probably won't go into Excel correctly either.
4/7/2013 2:15 AM
If it only pastes it as a jumbled mess into row 1, then you need to do a copy->paste special->text. Then you will need to add the column headings manually, so you know what you're loking at. That happens to me sometimes, too.
4/7/2013 8:48 AM
used excell, worked like a champ, thanks all!
4/8/2013 1:50 PM
I have found that I need to paste it into Notepad first. I then select all from Notepad and paste into Excel without a problem.
4/8/2013 5:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Takes me about half an hour for 50 players(which is usually all I feel deserve a ranking.

1.  Pick an "essential" rating.    Say 55 VR for a pitcher.  Sort it.   Transfer qualifiers to excel.
2.  Pick a secondary rating on your excel sheet.   Say 40 control for a pitcher.  Sort again.  Deleter the failures.   If you want to carry it another step, pick another rating, sort and delete those who fail again.
3.  Rank the remainders with your personal formula.  If you don't have one, make one.
4.  Follow the same steps with hitters. 
5.  Give the highest ranked player and pitcher a grade of 100(say the highest total from your formula is 543 for a position player.  Divide by 5.43).  Do the same with your pitchers(noting that the highest may be 621 so divide all pitchers by 6.21).   Sort that final column, the one with the 100, and BAM!, you have a list. 
6.  Rank on HBD screen.
7.  Fine tune.
MikeT, when you say 55 VR in point 1, do you mean what the rating is now or the projected rating of the prospect?
8/27/2013 10:32 AM
Projected.   I recognize that players aren't likely to achieve projections so I go above what I find "acceptable".    My formula will put the 55 VR, 40 control pitcher pretty low but I don't mind drafting a guy that finishes with a 48 VR, 37 control in the 7th round.   He'll be fine in AAA for his HBD career.  And, if he somehow got a DITR, maybe he'd be a BL bench warmer one day.
8/27/2013 10:36 AM
Drop 20M in either College or high school.  Punt the other half.
8/27/2013 11:35 AM
Ok. I've heard that many times, and I've heard that the rationale is "see what the majority of the other owners does And do the opposite. What if there's no conclusive answer? How do you decide which to punt then?
8/27/2013 12:12 PM
I do high school.  They have more value because they are younger.  More seasons before they start to decline.  Trading a 22yo is easier than a 26yo with the exact same ratings, even though they both are just finished progressing.

Downside, you see less prospects.  I think you get a full 500 with college while high school is around 250.
8/27/2013 12:26 PM

For me, it depended on my current team and plan when I took a team.   If my team had little BL talent, I'd draft college guys.   They're closer to BL-ready and I don't like to lose forever.   If my team had enough BL talent to be competitive with a few additions, I'd do HS for the reasons jonas listed. 

8/27/2013 1:23 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 3/26/2013 1:41:00 PM (view original):
Oh, one other thing...if you can stomach the risk of getting 25 pitchers (which has happened to me), do 25 all. If not, get as close to 25 all as you can.
what do you mean by "25 all" ?
8/27/2013 1:33 PM
He means "Any" under the draft settings.    He's Canadian.   English is an issue for him, eh?
8/27/2013 1:41 PM
Did that once, and that's exactly what I got. Decided I'd rather use no-hope draft choices on glove guys.
8/27/2013 2:06 PM
Posted by damag on 8/27/2013 12:12:00 PM (view original):
Ok. I've heard that many times, and I've heard that the rationale is "see what the majority of the other owners does And do the opposite. What if there's no conclusive answer? How do you decide which to punt then?
I will echo pretty much what Mike said. My team is in a peak period, I can afford to draft an 18 yr old and let him develop for 4 seasons. In fact I would prefer it to try and limit my log jams at the BL level.

If I am close to getting to "the top", I would look for college guys. They usually have less growth to make up and only need 1-2 seasons on the farm before they are BL ready.

Another strat (depending on league rules) is punt both and go after IFA. I am more or less doing that now (my scouting budget is something like 0-8), I know my team will be picking anywhere between 24-32 every season. The best I can hope for at that level of the draft is an ML role player. Even with scouting that low I usually have 10 guys that will fit that mold, so I get one of my top "picks", for where I am drafting. These guys are LRA type players, or super defensive SS. Guys that won't make the AS team but round out your squad's depth. I then make sure I get at least one impact player out of the IFA. It isnt always the best player, but it needs to be a SP 2 or better, or a good hitter (4-5-6 type guy) that can field.

8/28/2013 10:27 AM
I got Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Damaso Gandarillas at 31.   I don't think the bottom of the draft is as bad as people make it out to be.    Of course, DG is an exception and I assume his health scared people off.   Of course, because of his low overall, he'll never cost me near what a guy like him as a IFA will.
8/28/2013 10:52 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Best Way to Draft. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.