Best Way to Draft. Topic

I've never been really good at drafting. Whats the best way to draft to get the best available player(s)?
3/26/2013 1:13 PM
Without saying "pick this player", and assuming that you have a life and don't want to pour over 500 players...
  • Use the formula builder to rank the players in an order that you deem important in terms of weighting. Save and run that.
  • Export to Excel
  • Pick out the outliers that get ranked too high with your formula, or too low, and move them up or down. Examples usually are
    • Catchers ranked too low
    • Pitchers with poor Vl Vr ranked too high
    • Relievers ranked too low

I usually have 7 to 10 moves, then I'm happy with my top 100.
3/26/2013 1:35 PM
Oh, one other thing...if you can stomach the risk of getting 25 pitchers (which has happened to me), do 25 all. If not, get as close to 25 all as you can.
3/26/2013 1:41 PM
Takes me about half an hour for 50 players(which is usually all I feel deserve a ranking.

1.  Pick an "essential" rating.    Say 55 VR for a pitcher.  Sort it.   Transfer qualifiers to excel.
2.  Pick a secondary rating on your excel sheet.   Say 40 control for a pitcher.  Sort again.  Deleter the failures.   If you want to carry it another step, pick another rating, sort and delete those who fail again.
3.  Rank the remainders with your personal formula.  If you don't have one, make one.
4.  Follow the same steps with hitters. 
5.  Give the highest ranked player and pitcher a grade of 100(say the highest total from your formula is 543 for a position player.  Divide by 5.43).  Do the same with your pitchers(noting that the highest may be 621 so divide all pitchers by 6.21).   Sort that final column, the one with the 100, and BAM!, you have a list. 
6.  Rank on HBD screen.
7.  Fine tune.
3/26/2013 2:00 PM

I have less steps.

3/26/2013 2:59 PM
You are also less successful.

FWIW, I move the defensive SS/C to the top before I rank.   They get pushed down by the guys that can actually hit but they're "2nd tier" picks.   I'd rather have a no-hit SS than a SP with 83 stamina and 28 control.
3/26/2013 3:08 PM
OOO, yea, that should have been included in my gaps. Good call.
3/26/2013 3:14 PM
I do something very similar to what mike does.
3/27/2013 1:28 AM
Punt it.
3/27/2013 9:47 AM
does anyone know how to trasport the projected amature draft ratings to a google docs spreadsheet? Any help would be much appreciated. By the way I cant scroll on my formula builder?? I cant pick any pitchers qualities because it wont let me scroll down the page?
4/5/2013 4:03 PM
how do you transfer data to excel?
4/6/2013 1:20 AM
To transfer to excel, you just need to drag your mouse through all of the data you want to transfer e.g. if you want to transfer the whoel draft board, drag your mouse through all of the cells so they're all highlighted. Then simple copy and past into excel.
4/6/2013 9:09 AM
ok thanks bjs, the problem is that my computer doesnt have excell and its not working on google docs. Will have to use a computer with excell.
4/6/2013 4:23 PM
You should be able to paste it into any text editing program, clean it up (might need to change multple spaces to tabs, etc.) and then copy/paste into Google Docs.
4/6/2013 10:37 PM
When I try to paste it to google docs, it only pastes it in row A?
4/6/2013 11:44 PM
12345 Next ▸
Best Way to Draft. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.