Realign conferences Topic

@ llamanunts

Yeah I've played with that as well but everything gets all jumbled up if I try to quote more than one section i.e. [quote1] My response [quote2] My response 2 etc etc.

Any of you forum HoF guys have a trick I'm missing here?
4/7/2013 9:41 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 4/6/2013 9:17:00 PM (view original):
Conference realignment is ONLY possible if they ever open up a new world here, which is highly unlikely.
i wouldnt go that far, you could gradually rearrange sim teams over time and keep most of the way current. but i do agree that it is cost prohibitive. 
4/7/2013 9:53 PM
Posted by graff on 4/7/2013 1:49:00 PM (view original):
I really wish this forum had the ability to quote only parts of a post ... you know manually with "[quote] and [/quote]" type tags. I really want to respond to coach billy but would like to be able to address things specifically instead of just having one monster quote.
i never figured it out myself. i was half giving you a hard time, for that closing line that was a bit too cocky for my tastes :) but i do believe the study is fundamentally flawed, and would be interested to hear any rebuttal.
4/7/2013 9:54 PM
No I appreciated the honest response coach billy, even though I disagreed with it :). I did indeed perform a second study same as the first but with different parameters that I wanted to share with you and everyone else. I'm too busy trying to figure out how to format the stupid message at this point haha.
4/7/2013 10:22 PM
Maybe I spoke to soon...
4/8/2013 12:28 AM
@ colonels I meant to respond to you sooner. Thanks for the kind words sir.

I'm coaching Ashland (D2 Smith World) starting...well technically today I guess. I'm certainly keeping an open mind and hopefully I will enjoy it as much as you say I will :). As to your offer I'd love to hit you (or someone else you know) up for help navigating this sim. As with anything in life, I'm sure the more success you have, the more fun it will be. 

As for my analysis, I love doing statistics and stuff like that (I'm an Engineer after all...and that was half the reason I was drawn to WiS in the first place). If you want the abridged version, comparing NCAA DII to WiS DII and taking a larger cross section of teams didn't change the results. So whether I ultimately end up liking this sim and sticking around or not, it's still an "issue" with the game IMO.
4/8/2013 1:21 AM
Graff .. Its a matter of how people CHOOSE to play. In a "what if" game,do you really want to force people to play their starters long minutes(on getting tired or even tired) if they don't want to?
4/8/2013 1:30 AM
Posted by graff on 4/7/2013 9:41:00 PM (view original):
@ llamanunts

Yeah I've played with that as well but everything gets all jumbled up if I try to quote more than one section i.e. [quote1] My response [quote2] My response 2 etc etc.

Any of you forum HoF guys have a trick I'm missing here?
Before the 2010 update, we could quote part of a passage. That option was taken away. 

In a ticket, WIS responded, 

Thanks for your comments. However, it's not likely that quotes will change. If you are going to quote someone, you should not be able to change it. 
You can always use the post editor's blockquote button; just copy the part of the quote you want to address and blockquote it. You can do this with or without quoting a post.

4/8/2013 4:11 AM
Posted by graff on 4/8/2013 1:21:00 AM (view original):
@ colonels I meant to respond to you sooner. Thanks for the kind words sir.

I'm coaching Ashland (D2 Smith World) starting...well technically today I guess. I'm certainly keeping an open mind and hopefully I will enjoy it as much as you say I will :). As to your offer I'd love to hit you (or someone else you know) up for help navigating this sim. As with anything in life, I'm sure the more success you have, the more fun it will be. 

As for my analysis, I love doing statistics and stuff like that (I'm an Engineer after all...and that was half the reason I was drawn to WiS in the first place). If you want the abridged version, comparing NCAA DII to WiS DII and taking a larger cross section of teams didn't change the results. So whether I ultimately end up liking this sim and sticking around or not, it's still an "issue" with the game IMO.
its definitely an issue, theres no doubt about that on my end (as i stated up front). but that doesnt absolve flaws in the original study, which are fairly substantial.

i do think there is the burden of making an argument surrounding the root cause - be it an issue in the sim engine itself, surrounding game pieces (like flaws in recruiting, growth curves, etc), or user behavior. the cross section of sim d2 teams (playing as the creators intended) would probably line up much more closely with real life - but it would be very interesting to see if that was true, and to what extent - to try to gauge the impact of user behavior on the system.

theres certainly something to be said for "hey, real life you see X and in HD you see Y", but it doesnt shine much light on how to fix that issue - not that things really get fixed - but at least then users can have a more concrete discussion, and you never know who might be listening. in HD, there are some things that are clearly not as intended - but its NOT clear if 2 wrongs make a right, if you will. for example, HD was seemingly built with relatively full worlds in mind - HD does not have relatively full worlds. it did, in some cases, long ago - if minutes lined up there, would that be correct? would changing now to compensate for somewhat empty worlds - a reality that could change if marketing was existent - be appropriate? clearly, having all these sims who intentionally sign multiple walkons and inflate the pool of recruits, are going to lead to more depth, and fewer minutes played by starters. maybe calibrating to a full world is not reasonable. but what is the baseline situation one should calibrate against?

my point is really that these issues are substantially more complex than simply "does real life line up with HD". i think you'll find, if you are willing to be open minded and give the debate a good chance, there are some quality discussions to be had. this is a fairly complex game, and a couple season coach is definitely not able to fully surmise all the various factors and history that come into play, in complex hypotheticals like "why doesn't playing time line up and how could we fix it?". a good background in statistics is a great starting point, and while not everyone on here has that same statistical background, there are tons of coaches who are very smart and savvy guys (there was a thread on real life professions, which was somewhat sobering, it makes me wonder if a game like HD can really appeal to, say, the majority of the fantasy football base - if you check it out, i think you'll find there are quite a few coaches at least on par with you, professionally). it just so happens those guys have a ton more knowledge and insight into the HD ecosystem than you do, and you could really learn a lot from them - or you could not - its really up to you.

it seems you have grown increasingly frustrated in this thread, or maybe you had, but have come back around as of late - all im really getting at is you are dramatically over simplifying issues (like the 12 man conference - one variable change - that is not even close) - and when its made clearer by coaches with vastly more experience, that the issues arent so simple, that seems to cause frustration - which to me, seems to be the result of closed-mindedness - where i would expect results like enlightenment or even excitement from those with open minds, really looking to better understand things. this game can be a lot of fun, but its not perfect, and i encourage you to try to see beyond petty issues - like # of teams in a conference - and try to enjoy the bigger, richer parts of the game - like recruiting, strategy in game planning from one opponent to the next, those kinds of things. you can learn a ton about the game on these forums with an open mind - or nothing with a closed one - but i 100% agree with your earlier statement, understanding makes things more fun, and HD totally follows that rule, at least for a long time. so you can really play it either way, in one case, you are almost sure to get frustrated and quit the game, but in the other, you could really grow to enjoy it. just something to think about.

this is all coming from a guy with a really strong mathematical/problem solving background, who studied the game as hard as anyone, got burnt after 2.5 years, could hardly stand my own teams, but stayed for 3 years enjoying the community, anyway. its the analysis and discussions that keep me here, not the game. i agree with your comments earlier somewhere that this game has great potential but you dont know if they will get there (probably not, but its still fun). but ive still had a great time talking with other users about possible enhancements, modifications, all that kind of stuff, as well as debating the strategy and analysis on various parts of the game. and in the last year i even found some new (to me) parts of the game to play with. so if the analysis and accompanying discussion/debate, is the kind of stuff you like - you might find that even though the game doesn't meet your standards for enjoyment there, the community will. thats how it went for me, at least. its really what you make of it...
4/8/2013 3:21 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8
Realign conferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.