OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

USC has hired Andy enfield.
4/2/2013 12:19 AM
I thought the USC AD was a smart guy. This hire has me questioning that.

Take away his conference championship game and the 3 tournament games 99% of basketball fans have never seen him coach a game.

His style is fantastic in the short term when you are the obvious under dog. There is a reason no big time programs play that style, eventually the 18-23 year old inmates run the asylum. Hell what is their motion offense? Drive and lob isn't a recipe for long term success. His team had a great weekend and he parlayed into quite the upgrade. Good for him. Bad hire for USC.
4/2/2013 1:36 AM
Siena has interviewed their three finalists:

1) Andy Toole, 32-year old head coach at Robert Morris
2) Jim Patro, head coach at Loyola, MD.  He was previously the assistant at Maryland for 13 years.
3) Mike Rhodes, assistant at VCU
4/2/2013 5:49 AM
Posted by sull21858 on 4/2/2013 1:36:00 AM (view original):

Take away his conference championship game and the 3 tournament games 99% of basketball fans have never seen him coach a game.

His style is fantastic in the short term when you are the obvious under dog. There is a reason no big time programs play that style, eventually the 18-23 year old inmates run the asylum. Hell what is their motion offense? Drive and lob isn't a recipe for long term success. His team had a great weekend and he parlayed into quite the upgrade. Good for him. Bad hire for USC.
I agree.

That and Enfield could have benefited himself by staying at FGCU at least a couple more seasons and maybe building up that program before stepping into a powerhouse mess like USC.

4/2/2013 8:35 AM
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 4/2/2013 8:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by sull21858 on 4/2/2013 1:36:00 AM (view original):

I agree.

That and Enfield could have benefited himself by staying at FGCU at least a couple more seasons and maybe building up that program before stepping into a powerhouse mess like USC.

I think Enfield is the smarter party in this one, he probably knows he could make it back to the Tourney again, but no chance he could duplicate that run again. Take the millions and run.
4/2/2013 9:24 AM
Well, I think everyone knows that FGCU would be incredibly unlikely to make another S16. I hardly think Enfield is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes there. It wouldn't take repeat S16 trips to increase his stock -- if he turned into the clear top program in the conference and was just getting into the NT, he'd be just as legit as he is now, if not more.

I've heard that Enfield really wanted to be somewhere warm, which if true is fairly limiting.
4/2/2013 9:28 AM
Posted by girt25 on 4/2/2013 9:28:00 AM (view original):
Well, I think everyone knows that FGCU would be incredibly unlikely to make another S16. I hardly think Enfield is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes there. It wouldn't take repeat S16 trips to increase his stock -- if he turned into the clear top program in the conference and was just getting into the NT, he'd be just as legit as he is now, if not more.

I've heard that Enfield really wanted to be somewhere warm, which if true is fairly limiting.
His wife is also a former supermodel and has said she misses New York. Maybe she influenced him to go to L.A.
He was a millionaire before becoming an assistant coach at Florida St.  So money may have been less a draw than the challenge of coaching a big school
4/2/2013 10:02 AM (edited)
Reggie Theus is the new coach at Cal St. Northridge. He formerly coached both NM State and the Sacramento Kings
4/2/2013 11:48 AM
That's an interesting hire for CSU, Northridge.  And I understand Enfield's logic and I know it's a smart move for him, but I'm just a little disappointed at what could have been at FGCU.  Though maybe with another young coach that school could still attract some people and become a permanent fixture atop the A-Sun. 
4/2/2013 12:28 PM
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 4/2/2013 12:28:00 PM (view original):
That's an interesting hire for CSU, Northridge.  And I understand Enfield's logic and I know it's a smart move for him, but I'm just a little disappointed at what could have been at FGCU.  Though maybe with another young coach that school could still attract some people and become a permanent fixture atop the A-Sun. 
Their success will help other schools, too. The coach at Northern Kentucky Univ, also in the Atlantic Sun, has changed his recruiting pitch.  Before it was "We're in the conference that Belmont used to win".  Now it's "We're in the conference with Florida Gulf"
4/2/2013 1:01 PM
any idea what enfield is getting paid? its ridiculous how much unproven coaches get paid to make a jump, it should be like the way the NBA is structured now - you get paid well, but not the big money, on your first contract in the big league. you have to earn the contract you can retire comfortably off of. i feel like these coaches have 1-2 good seasons at mid majors and get whisked away for millions, seems like they should get a decent contract (say, double what they made a few years earlier, maybe even triple, not 5x or more), and then restructure after they prove themselves.
4/2/2013 1:02 PM
Almost certain his previous contract was something like $175,000 and his new one is $1,000,000+.
4/2/2013 1:26 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/2/2013 1:02:00 PM (view original):
any idea what enfield is getting paid? its ridiculous how much unproven coaches get paid to make a jump, it should be like the way the NBA is structured now - you get paid well, but not the big money, on your first contract in the big league. you have to earn the contract you can retire comfortably off of. i feel like these coaches have 1-2 good seasons at mid majors and get whisked away for millions, seems like they should get a decent contract (say, double what they made a few years earlier, maybe even triple, not 5x or more), and then restructure after they prove themselves.
Over 1 million for 6 years
4/2/2013 1:30 PM
Paraphrasing Ian Cohen's column about Minnesota

It's not a top-notch job nor a stepping stone to a better one.  It's merely a name you dangle about so you can get more money from your current school. But don't worry, Minnesota. You'll find someone just as desperate as you.  Isaiah Thomas has been quiet for a couple of weeks......

...and New Mexico
  They already have the perfect candidate in their assistant Craig Neal.  But they're puffed up with their #3 seed and seem to be saying, "Programs like New Mexico don't hire their own assistants."

4/2/2013 8:11 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.