Team D v. Team efg% Debate Topic

Ash, excellent credentials. Your correct about the SIM being stat driven. But you fail to see the difficulty in building a hard stat model. 1) the number of variables is huge, (2) we don't know all the variables or their parameters, (3) I'm certain there is a degree of "randomness" in the SIM and (4) there's also the "meta", a reflection of the dominant paradigm. Therefore the best I can hope for is to gleen trends from our combined exploration of the SIM. I can't change 1-3....
3/28/2013 6:50 PM (edited)
Case in point - If anyone's track the effectiveness of bring a high 3 point shooting team over the last two years that would be useful. My impression overall is that the effectiveness is trending downward. This is because more owners are countering the 3pt game with perimeter defense. I think this is a normal and expected evolution to the presures that the high 3pt game put on the league. It's interessting to watch the league evolve over time. It's clearly a case of "evolve or go extinct". I choose to evolve, the extinct thing doesn't sound like much fun.
3/28/2013 7:03 PM
it is trending downwards and ash already (in his history post) explained at least a little bit about why and it's not just shifting paradigms, it was actual admin tweaks to the engine
3/28/2013 8:11 PM
Admin say's thats not so....I've asked on numerous occasions.
3/28/2013 8:21 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/28/2013 6:50:00 PM (view original):
Ash, excellent credentials. Your correct about the SIM being stat driven. But you fail to see the difficulty in building a hard stat model. 1) the number of variables is huge, (2) we don't know all the variables or their parameters, (3) I'm certain there is a degree of "randomness" in the SIM and (4) there's also the "meta", a reflection of the dominant paradigm. Therefore the best I can hope for is to gleen trends from our combined exploration of the SIM. I can't change 1-3....
(1) I disagree with that statement.  (2) We basically know all of the variables.  (3) There's "randomness" with any statistical game like this.
3/28/2013 8:23 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/28/2013 8:21:00 PM (view original):
Admin say's thats not so....I've asked on numerous occasions.

sorry, maybe you asked the wrong question or maybe you were dealing with people who dont really know what they're talking about and tend to equivocate (the latter is the most likely case) but tweaks were made and you can go back through the update notes to verify

3/28/2013 8:29 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 3/28/2013 8:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by smokey57 on 3/28/2013 6:50:00 PM (view original):
(1) I disagree with that statement.  (2) We basically know all of the variables.  (3) There's "randomness" with any statistical game like this.
vis #3) god only knows that's the truth - the rub is how much is too much but that's a subject for another thread
3/28/2013 8:31 PM
We may have an opportunity here in the ODL. I've built two teams with high defense & no 3pt'ers, Sky brings a 3rd team. Ash brings a high 3pt team with moderate defense, nc brings a hybred team with high 3pt'ers & strong perimeter defense. Now if we had a high 3pt team with low defense and we put them in the same division, we could get (1) some interesting 411, (2) it would have a direct bearing on this discussion (3) it would give us something to discuss in this thread and (4) it would be a glorious battle with no survivors. Well what do you think...seapilots can make it happen???
3/28/2013 8:37 PM
WRT - to this thread; I have used my discribed method to generate a Jabbar season where jabbar shot 65%FG for an 82 game average and maintained a 65%FG average though a 16-3 PO run. Stat's for team (82 games) were: 52%FG, 73%FT, 54 boards, 35 dimes, 19TO, 10stl, 10blks & 20PF...good def. Record 57W's, PO's 16-3 & 1 ring. In a second season Jabbar shot 60% average for 82 games & PO's. Team stat's for 82 games: 51%FG, 72%FT, 52 boards, 32 dimes, everything else was about the same. Record 54W's, PO's 11-5 & 0 rings...Thanks alot creigel!
3/28/2013 8:57 PM
Just keep my team away from Wade, MJ, and LeBron and I'm all for it.
3/28/2013 8:58 PM
I often get 1-5 point FG% increase using my current, but evolving stratagy. When I get it right, I can get players like Jabber (55%FG) to shoot 65%FG. I think this gives me some advantage in an environment with strong parity. It's a matter of perspectives...
3/28/2013 9:04 PM
With players like Wilt, MJ, LBJ & CP3, if my defense holds them to their average, I've given my team a chance to win.
3/28/2013 9:07 PM
The reason for the "randomness" is to keep owners from creating cookie cutter stat monsters and destroying the league. Like they have in other vertual games. I congradulate WIS on a job well done.
3/28/2013 9:13 PM
I have a relatively high 3pt team with average-ish defense, we'll see how it goes. I actually have over 19700 minutes, thanks to lots of partial season guys, but still think it's pretty good. Backcourt defense is a potential issue, there might be a couple minutes of bad usage distribution (I would kill for advanced lineup settings), and we're a little fouly, but should be pretty good.     

3/28/2013 9:40 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/28/2013 9:13:00 PM (view original):
The reason for the "randomness" is to keep owners from creating cookie cutter stat monsters and destroying the league. Like they have in other vertual games. I congradulate WIS on a job well done.

you're the worst - you said it better than they did, what they said was that they wanted the engine loose enough so that newbs had a chance to win and wouldnt feel discouraged

but if you really want competitive balance amongst varied models here's what you do - you make sure that the game elements are properly balanced and valued and the right salary cap will take care of the rest

3/28/2013 9:53 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Team D v. Team efg% Debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.