DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Honestly, the "freedom to live the life they want" argument kind of sucks.   Animals are deemed property.    I don't give a **** how much you love your dog, if you and the wife get divorced, the judge will look at the dog in the same light as he does your coffee table.   So, if "the life you want to live" includes ******* your family pet, I can't think of anyone who'll say "What's the harm?  It doesn't affect you."
6/18/2013 1:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 1:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Yes, it makes society better.
How does SSM make society better?

You can be vague or specific but I'd like to know.
More people have the freedom to live the life they want.

Standard murder etc disclaimer applies.
I'm not convinced that more people having the freedom to live the life they want is better.

A few states have legalized the use of pot.   As an ex-doper, I recognize that the buzz of pot pretty much robs one of ambition.  Maybe it's just for a few hours, maybe it's for the rest of your life.   It's nice to be mellow but it can be taken way too far.   I'm sure that you're all for the legalization of pot but do you at least understand the drawbacks?
Plenty of legal things have drawbacks. Alcohol, cheeseburgers, and cigarettes are three examples. Yet we have the freedom to use them if we want. Pot isn't any worse than alcohol.

But, keeping with your theme, what is the drawback of allowing gay marriage?
Why do dopers always say "It's no worse than alcohol?"   It actually is.   You can get stoned up in about 12 seconds.   It takes a while to get ********* drunk.   You have to put in some effort.  Smoke outside, slip on a pair of shades and no one knows you're stoned unless you give it away with your actions.   Drink a pint of whiskey and people smell it on you.   Pot and alcohol aren't comparable in a lot of ways.   I've never seen a bunch of stoners have a brawl over a dropped doobie.

Haven't we covered the many drawbacks of SSM in the previous 200+ pages?

So, I'll ask again, why do you insist on asking questions that have already been answered?
Wait. Your argent is that pot is worse than alcohol because:

It takes more effort to get drunk
Drunks are noticeably belligerent and stoned people are harder to detect
Drunks get in fights, stoners don't.

Holy hell.
6/18/2013 2:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, the "freedom to live the life they want" argument kind of sucks.   Animals are deemed property.    I don't give a **** how much you love your dog, if you and the wife get divorced, the judge will look at the dog in the same light as he does your coffee table.   So, if "the life you want to live" includes ******* your family pet, I can't think of anyone who'll say "What's the harm?  It doesn't affect you."
You can't kill your dog either. They are property, but since they are living animals there are additional protections in place.
6/18/2013 2:07 PM
Yep.  You can pick a drunk out, say "******* drunk" and avoid them(or not hire them).    Not so with stoners.
6/18/2013 2:08 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 1:47:00 PM (view original):
You can't kill your dog either. They are property, but since they are living animals there are additional protections in place.
Yes, you can kill your dog.  People put dogs down every day.   So "WTF are you talking about?"
6/18/2013 2:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 2:08:00 PM (view original):
Yep.  You can pick a drunk out, say "******* drunk" and avoid them(or not hire them).    Not so with stoners.
I'll also add the simplicity and quickness in "catching a buzz" makes pot a lot more dangerous.    And that stoners tend to think "I can keep my **** together" far more often than drunks.   A drunk falls down and says "****.  I can't even walk, how am I supposed to drive" where a stoner just feels "buzzed" and knows he can drive.
6/18/2013 2:15 PM
Alcohol-hangover
Pot-no hangover

Hangovers deter over-consumption.
6/18/2013 2:17 PM
So much for "can't kill your dog" BS.
6/18/2013 2:19 PM
I don't think you've ever smoked pot.
6/18/2013 2:25 PM
BL, I keep wondering what you're smoking that has you so stubborn and determined to make ridiculous arguments.
6/18/2013 2:28 PM
It's been 25 years but, yeah, I smoked pot.

Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.   After all, you're sure people can't kill their dog.
6/18/2013 2:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 2:08:00 PM (view original):
I'll also add the simplicity and quickness in "catching a buzz" makes pot a lot more dangerous.    And that stoners tend to think "I can keep my **** together" far more often than drunks.   A drunk falls down and says "****.  I can't even walk, how am I supposed to drive" where a stoner just feels "buzzed" and knows he can drive.
How many people are killed every year by drunk drivers? How many people die from alcohol poisoning?

How many people are killed by stoned drivers? How many overdose on weed?

And anyway, we're way off topic. Gay marriage is neither harmful to participants nor dangerous to non-participants. It doesn't compare to pot or alcohol.
6/18/2013 2:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 1:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Yes, it makes society better.
How does SSM make society better?

You can be vague or specific but I'd like to know.
More people have the freedom to live the life they want.

Standard murder etc disclaimer applies.
I'm not convinced that more people having the freedom to live the life they want is better.

A few states have legalized the use of pot.   As an ex-doper, I recognize that the buzz of pot pretty much robs one of ambition.  Maybe it's just for a few hours, maybe it's for the rest of your life.   It's nice to be mellow but it can be taken way too far.   I'm sure that you're all for the legalization of pot but do you at least understand the drawbacks?
Plenty of legal things have drawbacks. Alcohol, cheeseburgers, and cigarettes are three examples. Yet we have the freedom to use them if we want. Pot isn't any worse than alcohol.

But, keeping with your theme, what is the drawback of allowing gay marriage?
Why do dopers always say "It's no worse than alcohol?"   It actually is.   You can get stoned up in about 12 seconds.   It takes a while to get ********* drunk.   You have to put in some effort.  Smoke outside, slip on a pair of shades and no one knows you're stoned unless you give it away with your actions.   Drink a pint of whiskey and people smell it on you.   Pot and alcohol aren't comparable in a lot of ways.   I've never seen a bunch of stoners have a brawl over a dropped doobie.

Haven't we covered the many drawbacks of SSM in the previous 200+ pages?

So, I'll ask again, why do you insist on asking questions that have already been answered?
There aren't any drawbacks to allowing gay marriage.
6/18/2013 2:58 PM
How long has pot been legal?

Anyway, tell us again how people cannot kill their dogs.  That was interesting.
6/18/2013 2:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...205|206|207|208|209...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.