Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 1:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Yes, it makes society better.
How does SSM make society better?

You can be vague or specific but I'd like to know.
More people have the freedom to live the life they want.

Standard murder etc disclaimer applies.
I'm not convinced that more people having the freedom to live the life they want is better.

A few states have legalized the use of pot.   As an ex-doper, I recognize that the buzz of pot pretty much robs one of ambition.  Maybe it's just for a few hours, maybe it's for the rest of your life.   It's nice to be mellow but it can be taken way too far.   I'm sure that you're all for the legalization of pot but do you at least understand the drawbacks?
Plenty of legal things have drawbacks. Alcohol, cheeseburgers, and cigarettes are three examples. Yet we have the freedom to use them if we want. Pot isn't any worse than alcohol.

But, keeping with your theme, what is the drawback of allowing gay marriage?
Why do dopers always say "It's no worse than alcohol?"   It actually is.   You can get stoned up in about 12 seconds.   It takes a while to get ********* drunk.   You have to put in some effort.  Smoke outside, slip on a pair of shades and no one knows you're stoned unless you give it away with your actions.   Drink a pint of whiskey and people smell it on you.   Pot and alcohol aren't comparable in a lot of ways.   I've never seen a bunch of stoners have a brawl over a dropped doobie.

Haven't we covered the many drawbacks of SSM in the previous 200+ pages?

So, I'll ask again, why do you insist on asking questions that have already been answered?
There aren't any drawbacks to allowing gay marriage.
Yet virtually half the country is against it.

Why is that?
6/18/2013 2:59 PM
How did you guys get from gay marriage to killing your dog and drugs? This thread is crazy but oddly fun to read. You people must really enjoy arguing.
6/18/2013 3:04 PM

BL's "live their life like they want to" argument. 

6/18/2013 3:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 2:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 2:58:00 PM (view original):

I'm not convinced that more people having the freedom to live the life they want is better.

A few states have legalized the use of pot.   As an ex-doper, I recognize that the buzz of pot pretty much robs one of ambition.  Maybe it's just for a few hours, maybe it's for the rest of your life.   It's nice to be mellow but it can be taken way too far.   I'm sure that you're all for the legalization of pot but do you at least understand the drawbacks?
Plenty of legal things have drawbacks. Alcohol, cheeseburgers, and cigarettes are three examples. Yet we have the freedom to use them if we want. Pot isn't any worse than alcohol.

Why do dopers always say "It's no worse than alcohol?"   It actually is.   You can get stoned up in about 12 seconds.   It takes a while to get ********* drunk.   You have to put in some effort.  Smoke outside, slip on a pair of shades and no one knows you're stoned unless you give it away with your actions.   Drink a pint of whiskey and people smell it on you.   Pot and alcohol aren't comparable in a lot of ways.   I've never seen a bunch of stoners have a brawl over a dropped doobie.

So, I'll ask again, why do you insist on asking questions that have already been answered?

Why is that?
Religion
6/18/2013 3:14 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 3:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 2:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 2:58:00 PM (view original):

Why is that?
Religion
Gays can't have religion?
6/18/2013 3:24 PM
They can.
6/18/2013 3:52 PM
Then why do you attribute half the population being against gay marriage to religion?     What about "love thy neighbor"?   Doesn't apply?
6/18/2013 3:56 PM
I guess not. Who would have guessed religious people would be such hypocrites?
6/18/2013 4:04 PM
Can you not love thy neighbor yet disapprove of his actions?
6/18/2013 4:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 4:30:00 PM (view original):
Can you not love thy neighbor yet disapprove of his actions?
You sure can. I think we disagree about the next step--what you should do about the disapproval.

If my neighbor is doing something that I disapprove of but not hurting anyone else, then I think he should be allowed to continue. You seem to think that we need another law to make his behavior illegal. Big government, ya'll.
6/18/2013 5:02 PM
I think we disagree on what "hurts anyone else" and the significance of changing traditions.
6/18/2013 8:21 PM
Religion has no bearing on my opposition to gay marriage.

I'm guessing that there's a lot of people who also can form their own opinions without the influence of religious institutions.
6/18/2013 8:34 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2013 8:21:00 PM (view original):
I think we disagree on what "hurts anyone else" and the significance of changing traditions.
How does gay marriage hurt anyone?

6/18/2013 8:43 PM
It offends those who find it an abomination of tradition and of the meaning of "marriage".

In today's politically correct society, we're not supposed to offend anybody.

Why are gays so insensitive by insisting that they need to be married?
6/18/2013 8:54 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/18/2013 8:54:00 PM (view original):
It offends those who find it an abomination of tradition and of the meaning of "marriage".

In today's politically correct society, we're not supposed to offend anybody.

Why are gays so insensitive by insisting that they need to be married?
Offense is not harm or a good reason to make something illegal.

Interracial marriage offends those who find it an abomination of tradition and the meaning of marriage.
Why are interracial couples so insensitive by insisting that they need to me married?
6/18/2013 9:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...206|207|208|209|210...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.