DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 1/4/2014 11:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/4/2014 11:04:00 AM (view original):
I do understand the point you're trying to make, that North Dakota is saying "you're married" and "you're not married" at the same time. But Bill and Mike are married in California. That's a fact. North Dakota doesn't recognize the marriage but is well within its rights to deny marriage licenses to people who are married in other states.
That's incredibly stupid, you know.
You never did explain why you think this is so stupid.

In tec's mind it's OK to say "That's incredibly stupid' but not OK to say "that isn't reasonable."

1/6/2014 6:26 PM
Sorry, I thought you were kidding when you said you didn't understand why it's incredibly stupid.  My bad for trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It's stupid to expect ND to say "We don't recognize the validity of SSM, unless you're in one.  Then we'll recognize it."  Because that's a contradiction.

Incredibly stupid, in fact.

1/6/2014 7:20 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/6/2014 7:20:00 PM (view original):
Sorry, I thought you were kidding when you said you didn't understand why it's incredibly stupid.  My bad for trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It's stupid to expect ND to say "We don't recognize the validity of SSM, unless you're in one.  Then we'll recognize it."  Because that's a contradiction.

Incredibly stupid, in fact.

But North Dakota isn't recognizing it. North Dakota knowing that someone is legally married in another state is not North Dakota legally recognizing the marriage.

How do you not understand this?
1/6/2014 7:28 PM
OMFG!!!!!

Given a choice between trying to logically argue something with you, and sticking a fork in my eye, the fork has finally taken the lead.
1/6/2014 7:36 PM
Do you not understand what state recognition of a marriage means?

Or, in your mind, does a state official simply knowing that a gay marriage happened in another state equal recognition?

1/6/2014 7:44 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/6/2014 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Oopsie!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/06/gay-marriage-appeals-court-ohio-michigan-kentucky-tennessee/15712319/
I guess SCOTUS will have to take it up now. May not be the good news you think it is.

Until then, gay marriages will only happen in 32 of the 50 states.
11/6/2014 5:43 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
11/7/2014 8:19 AM

Ruled 7-2 and gave what could be seen as a not so subtle hint at the direction the supreme court will go in the near future.
11/13/2014 1:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...356|357|358
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.