DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

If you are attracted to members of the same sex, that's not a choice.

As I already explained, many factors play a role in attraction. Some of them you have no choice in, others you do.

My main point is your sexual preference isn't based on who you are attracted to but on who you choose to be with in a romantic and/or sexual way.
3/29/2013 2:36 PM
I understand your point.  My point is sexual attraction isn't a choice.  

I think chicken parm tastes great.  I don't like eggplant parm.  That's not a choice.  I can choose to eat eggplant parm, but I CHOOSE not to, because I'm not attracted to the taste of eggplant parm.  The attraction I have for chicken parm, and the lack of attraction I have for eggplant parm, isn't a choice.
3/29/2013 2:40 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/29/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):
No, I'm asking a very specific question.

Are you sexually attracted to men?

(Ignore whether or not you have or will ever act on that attraction)
You didn't answer this, biz.
3/29/2013 2:43 PM
That doesn't change the fact that sexual preference IS a choice.

There are a lot of things that I would like to do, but that doesn't mean I'll choose to do them. Likewise, sometimes I choose to do things I don't particularly like to do for any number of reasons.

It's what you choose to do that matters. Your desires may fuel those choices in some ways, but it's a good thing people don't have to follow every desire they have and can actually choose to do other things.

3/29/2013 2:44 PM

And I won't be, as it is irrelevant.
3/29/2013 2:45 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 2:45:00 PM (view original):

And I won't be, as it is irrelevant.
You can't say yes or no?

See, I'll answer: No, I am not sexually attracted to men.
3/29/2013 2:51 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 2:44:00 PM (view original):

There are a lot of things that I would like to do, but that doesn't mean I'll choose to do them. Likewise, sometimes I choose to do things I don't particularly like to do for any number of reasons.

It's what you choose to do that matters. Your desires may fuel those choices in some ways, but it's a good thing people don't have to follow every desire they have and can actually choose to do other things.

Why does the choice of someone's sexual partner matter?
3/29/2013 2:51 PM

It defines your sexual preference.

What you are "normally" attracted to is meaningless, because you could always choose to be with someone different than what is "normal".

For example, you could be a man attracted to women, but there is nothing that would theoretically stop you from having a sexual encounter with a man. According to the flawed definition, you're still straight because you are still attracted to women and not to men. However, your actions say you are at least bisexual and possibly homosexual, depending upon what other choices you make.
3/29/2013 3:03 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 2:44:00 PM (view original):

I see your point, but the choices you make are based on who you are attracted to.

You and I would never choose to be in a romantic relationship with a man because we aren't attracted to men. Making that choice would make us very unhappy.

By the same token, homosexuals aren't attracted to the opposite sex. They could choose a heterosexual relationship, but because they aren't attracted to the opposite sex, they would be unhappy.
3/29/2013 3:04 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 3:03:00 PM (view original):

What you are "normally" attracted to is meaningless, because you could always choose to be with someone different than what is "normal".

For example, you could be a man attracted to women, but there is nothing that would theoretically stop you from having a sexual encounter with a man. According to the flawed definition, you're still straight because you are still attracted to women and not to men. However, your actions say you are at least bisexual and possibly homosexual, depending upon what other choices you make.
So you're saying you could choose to be attracted to men?
3/29/2013 3:05 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 3:03:00 PM (view original):

Why does someone's sexual preference matter?
3/29/2013 3:07 PM
I see your point, but the choices you make are based on who you are attracted to.
You still have a choice. Therefore, your sexual preference is a choice.
You and I would never choose to be in a romantic relationship with a man because we aren't attracted to men. Making that choice would make us very unhappy.
People make choices all the time that may not make them happy but they do it for whatever other reason or reasons. The point is that it IS a choice.
By the same token, homosexuals aren't attracted to the opposite sex. They could choose a heterosexual relationship, but because they aren't attracted to the opposite sex, they would be unhappy.
We make choices in life and we have to deal with the consequences of them. That does not mean we aren't responsible for those choices or that we were somehow forced to make the choice we made.
So you're saying you could choose to be attracted to men?
I'm saying you could choose to have a romantic and/or sexual encounter with whomever you wish, and that this - along with your other choices - would then define your sexual preference.
Why does someone's sexual preference matter?
I'm not sure how to answer this question. In what sense?
?
3/29/2013 3:28 PM
You're saying we have to deal with the choices we make and deal with the repercussions.  There are a lot of things you might like to do, but it doesn't mean you should do them.  You said the choice of one's sexual partner matters because it determines their sexual preference.  Why does someone's sexual preference matter?
3/29/2013 3:37 PM
Bistiza, you're an idiot, so it doesn't surprise me that you don't know what the word "preference" means, but I'll just check the dictionary for you:

"That which one prefers."

Not

"That which one chooses."

Sexual preference is not a choice.  Who you choose to have sex with is a choice.  But not sexual preference.  I thought we had gotten past the point where people at least smart enough to put pretty-sounding sentences together would go around proclaiming being gay as a choice, but obviously not...

I wish you'd respond to the questions about having sex with men...  If it's a choice, you could do that, right?  Just flip the switch in your head and change to a homosexual preference.  Right?
3/29/2013 8:26 PM
This is never about who people have sex with.

This is about states being able to have the ability to regulate marriage.

This is something they have always had.

Race played a major role in America and laws against interracial marriage were part of a larger pattern of discrimination.

In reality gay marriage is the last thing on the plate. Gays live lives equal to heterosexuals with this exception. And with civil unions it is a difference in name only.

Why do we need the Federal Government to step in on this simple issue?

Why not let the people of the state decide who is married and who is not?
3/31/2013 3:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.