DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 4/12/2013 11:39:00 AM (view original):
I have given you 70 pages of proof and I will not repeat myself.   Look it up.
You're not using enough words to tell me this.
4/12/2013 11:42 AM
Also, you telling me that someone's sexual preference is not pre-determined makes arguing this with you almost impossible.

Whether you admit it or not, you are in control of who you prefer to be with in romantic and/or sexual situations. Unless someone is somehow forcing you to choose certain people or those of a certain gender, the choice is entirely up to you. That means you DO determine which gender you prefer to be with.
4/12/2013 11:43 AM
"You choose who you are with romantically and/or sexually. That IS a choice. Dumbass."

"You choose what your hair color is.  That IS a choice.  Dumbass."
4/12/2013 11:43 AM
You don't choose your hair color unless you alter the natural state of your hair, since you already have a natural hair color.

You DO choose who you are with romantically and/or sexually, because there is no "natural" state of who you are with, since you're not born already in a romantic relationship with someone.

4/12/2013 11:46 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/12/2013 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/12/2013 11:39:00 AM (view original):
I have given you 70 pages of proof and I will not repeat myself.   Look it up.
You're not using enough words to tell me this.
I'll try to do better.
4/12/2013 11:48 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/12/2013 11:46:00 AM (view original):
You don't choose your hair color unless you alter the natural state of your hair, since you already have a natural hair color.

You DO choose who you are with romantically and/or sexually, because there is no "natural" state of who you are with, since you're not born already in a romantic relationship with someone.

You don't choose what sex you are most attracted to unless you alter the natural state of what sex you are most attracted to, since you already have a natural sex you are attracted to.
4/12/2013 11:52 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/12/2013 11:40:00 AM (view original):
I said arguing with you re: gay marriage is impossible if you don't agree that homosexuality isn't something you choose to do.  It has nothing to do with you being a "master debater."

You're essentially admitting the only way to argue with me is if I agree with you to begin with, which would mean there wasn't an argument at all.

You are straight or gay long before you have any sexual contact with another person. It's not a choice.

Following that logic, where preferences are pre-determined, you also already know which foods are your favorites long before you ever eat them. Those people who are blind from birth should also already have a favorite color even though they've never seen colors. People deaf from birth probably have a favorite song too - since it's already pre-determined, they don't need to hear the song to know its their favorite.

Do you see how illogical your idea is? Probably not, because if you admit to your own lack of logic, your whole premise falls apart, so you'll probably choose denial.
It's no more a choice than being born with blue eyes or brown eyes is a choice. Dumbass.

You choose who you are with romantically and/or sexually. That IS a choice. Dumbass.
So, you weren't sure you were straight until you had sexual contact with a girl?

I call bullshit. I knew I was straight as early as elementary school, before I knew what sex was. I have a gay friend who told me the same thing. She can remember being attracted to girls when she was 8 or 9 years old.
4/12/2013 11:53 AM
By his definition, he wasn't straight or gay at that point.  Because he didn't make a decision yet.
4/12/2013 11:59 AM
You don't choose what sex you are most attracted to unless you alter the natural state of what sex you are most attracted to, since you already have a natural sex you are attracted to.

Since your actions determine your sexual preference, discussing attraction means nothing.

So, you weren't sure you were straight until you had sexual contact with a girl?
No one can establish a sexual preference without first choosing with whom they want to be in a romantic and/or sexual encounter. You may be more attracted to one gender or the other, but you still have a choice, and your actions determine your preference at any given time.
I call bullshit. I knew I was straight as early as elementary school, before I knew what sex was. I have a gay friend who told me the same thing. She can remember being attracted to girls when she was 8 or 9 years old.
You and your friend may have known what your attraction was when you were young. That doesn't establish anything, since you can choose to be with anyone later. Never mind that who you find attractive may change, as it does for many people in various ways.

Attractions change, and so do sexual preferences. As a result, the only way to conclusively determine someone's preference is to know their gender and that of the person or people they choose to be with romantically and/or sexually.
4/12/2013 12:05 PM
"Since your actions determine your sexual preference, discussing attraction means nothing."

Are you suggesting someone can have an action that is counter to their sexual attraction?

You realize sexual attraction isn't "hmm...what am i in the mood for today?" 
4/12/2013 12:12 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/12/2013 12:05:00 PM (view original):

Since your actions determine your sexual preference, discussing attraction means nothing.

No one can establish a sexual preference without first choosing with whom they want to be in a romantic and/or sexual encounter. You may be more attracted to one gender or the other, but you still have a choice, and your actions determine your preference at any given time.
You and your friend may have known what your attraction was when you were young. That doesn't establish anything, since you can choose to be with anyone later. Never mind that who you find attractive may change, as it does for many people in various ways.

Attractions change, and so do sexual preferences. As a result, the only way to conclusively determine someone's preference is to know their gender and that of the person or people they choose to be with romantically and/or sexually.
So when you made your choice, how did you know to pick a girl instead of a boy?
4/12/2013 12:19 PM
"Attractions change, and so do sexual preferences."

I would be freaked out if I woke up tomorrow suddenly attracted to men.
4/12/2013 12:22 PM
I've just chosen to be 6'4".

How do I make that happen?
4/12/2013 12:39 PM
Are you suggesting someone can have an action that is counter to their sexual attraction?

I find it downright absurd that you would suggest anyone LACKS the ability to take actions that don't follow their sexual attraction.

No one's attraction prevents them from being with someone who isn't exactly what they are attracted to. I'm sexually attracted to natural blondes, but that didn't keep me from choosing to be in a relationship with a brunette several years ago.
You realize sexual attraction isn't "hmm...what am i in the mood for today?"

Obviously attraction doesn't always change that quickly, but I hope you realize it CAN and DOES change for many people in a variety of ways.
So when you made your choice, how did you know to pick a girl instead of a boy?
I made the choice based upon a variety of factors, including both physical and non-physical attraction. However, that is not to say that I couldn't have made a different choice.
I would be freaked out if I woke up tomorrow suddenly attracted to men.
I'm not suggesting these changes happen overnight, but it is undeniable that they DO happen for many people.

People's tastes, preferences, and opinions often change throughout life. There's no way to deny that.

4/12/2013 1:26 PM
Why didn't you pick another male? What factor made you choose a female (not for marriage, just for your first kiss/makeout/hook up etc?
4/12/2013 1:35 PM
◂ Prev 1...70|71|72|73|74...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.