DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

You've agreed that attraction is not a choice. You've agreed that most people are only attracted to one gender or the other.

Lets make it legal for people to marry whatever gender they want because they don't have a choice in what gender they are attracted to.

By that logic, we should make it legal for people to marry children, animals, or even inanimate objects. You know, since they don't have a choice in who or what they are attracted to.

Yeah, those things aren't going to happen, and neither should homosexuals be calling their unions marriage.
How do I know whether the definitions of words are correct or not?  This is important.  I don't want to tell someone I want a cheeseburger at McDonalds and for them to hand me 30 packets of ketchup instead.
For the last ******* time, learn the difference between "correct" and commonly accepted and you'll know how dictionaries work.

4/25/2013 11:28 AM
That wasn't an answer to my question.  I'll repeat it for you, since I know you need that from time to time.

How do I know whether the definitions of words are correct or not?  This is important.  I don't want to tell someone I want a cheeseburger at McDonalds and for them to hand me 30 packets of ketchup instead.

Because maybe the cashier at McDonalds would use "logic" and decide that by "cheeseburger" I mean something else.

4/25/2013 11:32 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/25/2013 11:28:00 AM (view original):
You've agreed that attraction is not a choice. You've agreed that most people are only attracted to one gender or the other.

Lets make it legal for people to marry whatever gender they want because they don't have a choice in what gender they are attracted to.

By that logic, we should make it legal for people to marry children, animals, or even inanimate objects. You know, since they don't have a choice in who or what they are attracted to.

Yeah, those things aren't going to happen, and neither should homosexuals be calling their unions marriage.
For the last ******* time, learn the difference between "correct" and commonly accepted and you'll know how dictionaries work.

Yeah but a sexual relationship between two men is perfectly legal. A sexual relationship between an adult and a child isn't. Same with animals. You see the difference?
4/25/2013 11:39 AM
I'm starting to think you don't really understand what is and isn't "logic."
4/25/2013 11:39 AM
Maybe you're using the commonly understood definition of the word "logic" and he's using the correct definition.
4/25/2013 12:00 PM

Because maybe the cashier at McDonalds would use "logic" and decide that by "cheeseburger" I mean something else.

You keep needing an education on how dictionaries work, and now you want a lesson on how words are used. *sighs* If you aren't being deliberately obtuse, you're too stupid to even be involved in this type of discussion (maybe that's the problem to begin with).

I shall indulge you this ONE time regarding how words are used. You will have to go ask someone you know if you need more help (perhaps your special ed teacher).

The reason the dictionary lists commonly accepted (again, not necessarily "correct" in every sense) definitions is because those are enough to suffice for most uses, including those involved in casual conversation, such as what you mention here.

So when the cashier hears you say "cheeseburger", you both inherently understand its commonly accepted definition.

However, when you are arguing or debating the meaning of a word within a particular context or situation, you can't simply state "it's listed that way in the dictionary"  to defend your definition unless your goal is to show that your definition is a commonly accepted one, as that's all a listing in the dictionary would prove.

Now don't bother me with asking any more questions because you (intentionally or otherwise) don't know how to use a dictionary, how a dictionary works, or how words function. I won't be responding to that nonsense anymore.
Yeah but a sexual relationship between two men is perfectly legal. A sexual relationship between an adult and a child isn't. Same with animals. You see the difference?
According to the logic you used when you said "Lets make it legal for people to marry whatever gender they want because they don't have a choice in what gender they are attracted to," we should also make those other situations legal.

Or do you want to step back and change what you said?
4/25/2013 12:11 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/25/2013 11:26:00 AM (view original):
I just assumed you're attracted to men because you said you're more attracted to women.

Everyone has varying levels of attraction to other people based upon many criteria or factors. If you compare any two people, you are probably going to be more attracted to one than to the other for any number of those factors. 
I'm not attracted to men at all.

Your believe your level of attraction to men is so scarce that it is virtually non-existent. Great. You probably won't have relationships or sex with men, then. That doesn't mean it would be impossible for you to do that - it just means you probably won't choose to do it.
You are either not very clear in what you are trying to say, or you like to receive as well as give.

I'm quite clear - you just jump to conclusions based upon incorrect assumptions.
It's totally non existent. There's no probably. You're clear in that you are probably bi sexual if you are attracted to men.
4/25/2013 12:18 PM
What if I want to know the correct definitions of words? How would I figure out which definitions are correct and which ones are simply commonly understood?

In the same way the cashier should understand that I want a cheeseburger, why can't you understand that when a man says he is homosexual, that he is sexually attracted to men?
4/25/2013 12:19 PM
What if I want to know the correct definitions of words? How would I figure out which definitions are correct and which ones are simply commonly understood?

Whether a definition is "correct" depends upon the circumstances. If by "correct" you mean commonly accepted, then the dictionary does that for you. If by "correct" you mean something else, however, then you'd need other sources of information to determine what the "correct" definition is for your situation or circumstance.

Regardless, the point is when you are arguing or debating the meaning of a word within a particular context or situation, you can't simply state "it's listed that way in the dictionary"  to defend your definition unless your goal is to show that your definition is a commonly accepted one, as that's all a listing in the dictionary would prove.
4/25/2013 12:26 PM
According to the logic you used when you said "Lets make it legal for people to marry whatever gender they want because they don't have a choice in what gender they are attracted to," we should also make those other situations legal.

------

No one has a choice in what gender they are attracted to. Two men can have sex and it's legal. A man and a child cannot.

Lets allow the people involved in a legal relationship to marry.

Get it?
4/25/2013 12:26 PM
It's totally non existent. There's no probably. You're clear in that you are probably bi sexual if you are attracted to men.

I'm not "probably" anything. You're making assumptions that are incorrect.

Everyone has some level of attraction to everyone else - sometimes it's so scarce it is practically non-existent, while other times it is very strong.  That doesn't mean everyone is bisexual.
4/25/2013 12:28 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/25/2013 12:26:00 PM (view original):

Whether a definition is "correct" depends upon the circumstances. If by "correct" you mean commonly accepted, then the dictionary does that for you. If by "correct" you mean something else, however, then you'd need other sources of information to determine what the "correct" definition is for your situation or circumstance.

Regardless, the point is when you are arguing or debating the meaning of a word within a particular context or situation, you can't simply state "it's listed that way in the dictionary"  to defend your definition unless your goal is to show that your definition is a commonly accepted one, as that's all a listing in the dictionary would prove.
Wait, now the definition of the word "correct" is up for grabs?

Sweet. Other word up for redefinition? Marriage. Now it includes gay couples since it has to, logically, now that gay couples are married.
4/25/2013 12:29 PM
In the same way the cashier should understand that I want a cheeseburger, why can't you understand that when a man says he is homosexual, that he is sexually attracted to men?

I understand he's using the word by its commonly accepted definition - but I also understand that definition isn't logical and is only the commonly accepted definition because of the influence of propaganda.

That's why I don't use the term that way. I'm intelligent and educated well enough to know how to reason logically and see beyond the effects of propaganda. I feel sorry for you since you have indicated you cannot.
No one has a choice in what gender they are attracted to. Two men can have sex and it's legal. A man and a child cannot.

Get it?

Again, I'm just applying your logic.

No one has a choice in whether they are attracted to children, animals, or inanimate objects. Let's allow people to legally marry that way too. Get it?
4/25/2013 12:33 PM
Wait, now the definition of the word "correct" is up for grabs?

It's not "up for grabs". It simply has different meanings in different contexts. If you don't get that, you are certainly too stupid to be in this discussion.
4/25/2013 12:34 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/25/2013 12:33:00 PM (view original):

I understand he's using the word by its commonly accepted definition - but I also understand that definition isn't logical and is only the commonly accepted definition because of the influence of propaganda.

That's why I don't use the term that way. I'm intelligent and educated well enough to know how to reason logically and see beyond the effects of propaganda. I feel sorry for you since you have indicated you cannot.

Get it?

Again, I'm just applying your logic.

No one has a choice in whether they are attracted to children, animals, or inanimate objects. Let's allow people to legally marry that way too. Get it?
Having sex with a child isn't legal. We wouldn't allow you to marry a child because the relationship itself is illegal

Gay relationships are legal. We can allow them to marry because there is nothing criminal about their relationship.

4/25/2013 12:50 PM
◂ Prev 1...95|96|97|98|99...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.