DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by The Taint on 5/3/2013 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:17:00 PM (view original):
To put it another way, you are required to get a license in order to exercise your rights in some cases.   If you cannot pass the requirements test, you do not have that right.    Marriage is one of those rights that require a license.    SS couples do not pass that test(which we'll just say is non-matching genitals).  
This s changing rapidly. It will be business as usual in another decade.
I've already said as much.
5/3/2013 1:22 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/3/2013 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:05:00 PM (view original):

Governing bodies are allowed to create restrictions on rights and privileges as they see fit.    The people have the right to remove the lawmakers who create these restrictions.    If your representative is going against your wishes on this issue, vote him out.   Vote all of them out. 

But the laws have to apply equally. The government can't carve out rights for a group without meeting specific guidelines. Otherwise the law gets overturned in court like interracial marriage bans.
To put it another way, you are required to get a license in order to exercise your rights in some cases.   If you cannot pass the requirements test, you do not have that right.    Marriage is one of those rights that require a license.    SS couples do not pass that test(which we'll just say is non-matching genitals).  
5/3/2013 1:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 5/3/2013 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Collins has been in the NBA for 13 years. He's been "good" enough for quite awhile now.
Yep.   Bernie Williams was a multi-time All-Star.    Is he still "good" enough to be in MLB?   

Funny thing about sports.   Your skills decline and they don't want you anymore.
Jason Collins was never an all star I don't think. Didn't juwan Howard just retire? Lots of room for journeyman centers and their six fouls on diluted NBA rosters. They are like MLB's lefty relievers.
5/3/2013 1:24 PM
You should think about how devastating it was to him that he had to pretend he was straight all those years. Locker room jock mentality.

He wasn't pretending. He was with a woman for years. He was straight for all intents and purposes except maybe in his own brain.

I'm sick of everyone applauding him for "coming out".  The man led that woman along for years when he never really wanted to be with her and then he drops this bomb on her and everyone is congratulating him.

Funny how everyone is okay with those supporting Collins's decision but wants to attack those who don't support Collins' decision, such as Chris Broussard, who has every right to express his opinion on a sports show where expressing his opinion is part of his job.

It's almost as though you have to support the homosexual agenda now or you'll be attacked, which is ridiculous.
5/3/2013 1:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:23:00 PM (view original):

Governing bodies are allowed to create restrictions on rights and privileges as they see fit.    The people have the right to remove the lawmakers who create these restrictions.    If your representative is going against your wishes on this issue, vote him out.   Vote all of them out. 

But the laws have to apply equally. The government can't carve out rights for a group without meeting specific guidelines. Otherwise the law gets overturned in court like interracial marriage bans.
Ok. There's a pretty clear line of reasoning as to why you have to pass a test and get a license to drive. What's the reasoning for prohibiting gays from marrying?
5/3/2013 1:26 PM
Posted by The Taint on 5/3/2013 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Collins has been in the NBA for 13 years. He's been "good" enough for quite awhile now.
Yep.   Bernie Williams was a multi-time All-Star.    Is he still "good" enough to be in MLB?   

Funny thing about sports.   Your skills decline and they don't want you anymore.
Jason Collins was never an all star I don't think. Didn't juwan Howard just retire? Lots of room for journeyman centers and their six fouls on diluted NBA rosters. They are like MLB's lefty relievers.
If you're implying that Collins will be blackballed because of his admission, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.    Unless you think teams are biased against gays who can help them win but don't care about rapists, dog killers and men who cover up murders. 
5/3/2013 1:30 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/3/2013 1:26:00 PM (view original):

Ok. There's a pretty clear line of reasoning as to why you have to pass a test and get a license to drive. What's the reasoning for prohibiting gays from marrying?
Failure to have a man and a woman.

You know, the definition of marriage since forever. 
5/3/2013 1:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:30:00 PM (view original):

If you're implying that Collins will be blackballed because of his admission, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.    Unless you think teams are biased against gays who can help them win but don't care about rapists, dog killers and men who cover up murders. 
Not to be a cynic but I think there is the possibility that Collins knows his time is up.   Come out now, don't face the scrutiny, write a book. 

Personally, I think that would be a great career move.
5/3/2013 1:39 PM

I'm not sure what will happen and I'm sure there's a ton of people in the jock culture who look as being gay as lower than a dog killer. I have no idea what's going to happen.
5/3/2013 1:40 PM
Posted by bistiza on 5/3/2013 1:26:00 PM (view original):
You should think about how devastating it was to him that he had to pretend he was straight all those years. Locker room jock mentality.

He wasn't pretending. He was with a woman for years. He was straight for all intents and purposes except maybe in his own brain.

I'm sick of everyone applauding him for "coming out".  The man led that woman along for years when he never really wanted to be with her and then he drops this bomb on her and everyone is congratulating him.

Funny how everyone is okay with those supporting Collins's decision but wants to attack those who don't support Collins' decision, such as Chris Broussard, who has every right to express his opinion on a sports show where expressing his opinion is part of his job.

It's almost as though you have to support the homosexual agenda now or you'll be attacked, which is ridiculous.
You don't get it, nor ever will as 100 plus pages here will attest to. No use getting in a RSF with you over it. You're in enough of those already.
5/3/2013 1:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:39:00 PM (view original):

Not to be a cynic but I think there is the possibility that Collins knows his time is up.   Come out now, don't face the scrutiny, write a book. 

My wife said the exact same thing. You guys just may be right. It wouldn't be surprising.
5/3/2013 1:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:31:00 PM (view original):

You missed the point. There's a reason a test is required to drive - public safety. What's the reason that marriage is (in some states) restricted to just opposite sex couples?
5/3/2013 1:47 PM
Posted by The Taint on 5/3/2013 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:39:00 PM (view original):

My wife said the exact same thing. You guys just may be right. It wouldn't be surprising.
Other than her choice for a husband, she sounds like a smart one. 

As for your other post re: teammates, I assume you played organized sports at some level.   Did you ever care what the guy who scored the TD, blocked for you, hit the the game-winning double or scored the basket in overtime did when he wasn't on the field?   Even if you knew, and didn't approve, did it matter during the game?

However, I could see a front office saying "Meh.  He'd be the last man off the bench.  **** the media circus.  Find me another slow, 7 footer that can't shoot."
5/3/2013 1:47 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/3/2013 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2013 1:31:00 PM (view original):

You missed the point. There's a reason a test is required to drive - public safety. What's the reason that marriage is (in some states) restricted to just opposite sex couples?
I've not missed the point.   I made a point you don't like. 

Why do I need a fishing license?    Because of public safety?
Why do I need a license to build a shed in my backyard?    Public safety?

There are many reasons, and differing requirements, for a license. 
5/3/2013 1:49 PM
Can anyone get a fishing license or is there a restriction on that?

Those permits and licenses are required to collect fees. There are no restrictions on who can get them. Not the same thing, bis.
5/3/2013 1:52 PM
◂ Prev 1...128|129|130|131|132...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.