DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 5/7/2013 2:36:00 PM (view original):
bad_luck is funny.  He latches on to a new "catchphrase" and repeats it over and over.

I'm looking forward to how many more times he says something along the lines of "separate but equal is a mistake" today.
I'm looking forward *to you* calling out mike for constantly repeating himself without ever making a point.

*Edited to fix typo
5/7/2013 3:41 PM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 5/7/2013 2:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/7/2013 2:36:00 PM (view original):
bad_luck is funny.  He latches on to a new "catchphrase" and repeats it over and over.

I'm looking forward to how many more times he says something along the lines of "separate but equal is a mistake" today.
I'm looking forward calling out mike for constantly repeating himself without ever making a point.
Hello, pot.   Kettle here.   You're looking very black today. 
5/7/2013 3:36 PM
Hello, pot.   Kettle here.   You're looking very black today.

You have to be PC. He's an "African American" pot, not a black pot.
5/8/2013 8:30 AM
"African American" incorrectly assumes that all black people are American.  I dont use that term.
5/8/2013 9:02 AM
I don't use the term, either. It seems more offensive to me than "black" does, not only because it assumes people are Americans, but also because most black Americans have no more to do with Africa than white Americans have to do with their country (or countries) of origin.

If you want to say "African American", you should also start calling people "Irish Americans", "Italian Americans", "German Americans", etc for white people. Almost no one does that, so there is no point to using the term "African American".

I also happen to know the term is offensive to people who do come from Africa and then become Americans, because I had a friend who did that. He thought the term was absolutely ridiculous given that most of the black people he'd met in America had never even been to Africa. So while the term "African American" accurately applied to him as an African who became an American, it did NOT apply to the millions of black people already in America.

5/8/2013 1:23 PM

Somebody I know was once telling me a story of an experience that she had in Europe.  As part of her story, she referred to one of the people involved as an "African American".  Which struck me as very odd, since SHE WAS IN SPAIN at the time.

So that got me thinking . . . should she have referred to that person as an "African Spaniard"?  But what if he, like she, was just a tourist in Spain on vacation?  How do you know where he was from, so you could refer to him correctly using this type of reference?

Going through all possible iterations of what other "African-Somethings" could have been used, I determined that it is much simpler and more accurate just to refer to black people as black people.  It's just an adjective.  Like "short woman", "skinny dude", "blonde chick" or "stupid guy".  It's a black guy.

"African American" is just plain silly.

5/8/2013 2:09 PM
The problem is with the entire "politically correct" movement, which is mostly BS.

As long as people aren't using terms that have obvious negative connotations, no one should be whining about the terms themselves. For example, I understand people shouldn't use the word ****** for black people, but calling them black should be fine as long as calling other people white is fine.

I also think racism is seen as a terrible thing - UNLESS the person who is racist is black, in which case they can say or do whatever they want and it's somehow okay.

5/8/2013 2:12 PM
Bis, true dat, my nigga!
5/8/2013 2:16 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/8/2013 2:11:00 PM (view original):

Somebody I know was once telling me a story of an experience that she had in Europe.  As part of her story, she referred to one of the people involved as an "African American".  Which struck me as very odd, since SHE WAS IN SPAIN at the time.

So that got me thinking . . . should she have referred to that person as an "African Spaniard"?  But what if he, like she, was just a tourist in Spain on vacation?  How do you know where he was from, so you could refer to him correctly using this type of reference?

Going through all possible iterations of what other "African-Somethings" could have been used, I determined that it is much simpler and more accurate just to refer to black people as black people.  It's just an adjective.  Like "short woman", "skinny dude", "blonde chick" or "stupid guy".  It's a black guy.

"African American" is just plain silly.

Black/white are perfectly acceptable as racial descriptions, even for people who are concerned about being politically correct.
5/8/2013 2:30 PM
What about what tec said?

Is it okay if he's black? What if we're both black? What if we're both white? Does it make a difference?

5/8/2013 2:40 PM
It's is until the dark-skinned fellow says "I ain't black, ************."

If I'm not mistaken, black is the absence of color.    Or maybe that's white.    Art class was a long time ago.
5/8/2013 2:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2013 2:42:00 PM (view original):
It's is until the dark-skinned fellow says "I ain't black, ************."

If I'm not mistaken, black is the absence of color.    Or maybe that's white.    Art class was a long time ago.
I'm pretty sure that the literal definition of the color isn't important since nobody is actually black or white.
5/8/2013 2:49 PM
Another case of your opinion not being the final say.    If Barack Obama does not want to be called "black", I'm pretty sure you can't just say "Sorry, BO, you're black.  Deal with it."     Or you can and have your last 20 tax returns audited while enduring full body cavity searches.
5/8/2013 2:57 PM
Or should I have said "while enjoying full body cavity searches"?
5/8/2013 2:59 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2013 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Another case of your opinion not being the final say.    If Barack Obama does not want to be called "black", I'm pretty sure you can't just say "Sorry, BO, you're black.  Deal with it."     Or you can and have your last 20 tax returns audited while enduring full body cavity searches.
Well, a black Supreme Court justice recently referred to Obama as the first black president, so it seems OK.
5/8/2013 3:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...142|143|144|145|146...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.