DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Total opinion, but an opinion based on life experience and an extensive look at the history of humans.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  There has been homosexuality in every culture since day one...homosexuality was openly practiced in Rome, Greece, China, Africa, and among the indigenous peoples of the America's(ancient world).  China even had a term for it..something of the flower, can't remember right now.  The ancient philosophers wrote about it in not unflattering terms. 

With the advent of organized religion in later years, it has been systematically vilified.

6/19/2013 10:40 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/19/2013 10:33:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 10:28:00 AM (view original):
No harm.

Do you think that should be illegal? Because gay marriage is less offensive than white adults saying the N word around a black child.
I'm going to call bullshit on your answer.

Children are impressionable.   Adults saying "The little N over there..." and "Those stupid N at work..." will either lead the child to believe A) the word is acceptable or B) there is truth behind the statements.   Self-esteem drops and what their parents have taught them is questioned.

I won't make a call on how offensive either situation is to everyone.   People believe in different things.   How does SSM improve society?

So you're saying they aren't just saying the n word but they're still calling the kid the n word? They're abusing him. That's not just offense, it's actual harm.

I think society is improved by granting equal rights to a subset of the population but it doesn't even need to go that far. My view on life is that if someone wants to do something and it doesn't harm anyone else, they should be allowed to do it. This applies to things like drugs, cigarettes, prostitution, and gay marriage. We don't need the government so involved in our lives.
6/19/2013 10:40 AM
Posted by The Taint on 6/19/2013 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Total opinion, but an opinion based on life experience and an extensive look at the history of humans.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  There has been homosexuality in every culture since day one...homosexuality was openly practiced in Rome, Greece, China, Africa, and among the indigenous peoples of the America's(ancient world).  China even had a term for it..something of the flower, can't remember right now.  The ancient philosophers wrote about it in not unflattering terms. 

With the advent of organized religion in later years, it has been systematically vilified.

Of course all of the texts I read could have just been propaganda perpetuated by the homosexual agenda.
6/19/2013 10:42 AM
Posted by The Taint on 6/19/2013 10:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 6/19/2013 10:40:00 AM (view original):

Of course all of the texts I read could have just been propaganda perpetuated by the homosexual agenda.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing.  But, when one says "entirely rooted", I'd expect a little more than "total opinion".

The truth is we don't know.  There aren't enough people who've never had contact with the outside world to ask.   Not many children are abandoned and raised by wolves.
6/19/2013 10:47 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/19/2013 10:33:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 10:28:00 AM (view original):
No harm.

Do you think that should be illegal? Because gay marriage is less offensive than white adults saying the N word around a black child.
I'm going to call bullshit on your answer.

Children are impressionable.   Adults saying "The little N over there..." and "Those stupid N at work..." will either lead the child to believe A) the word is acceptable or B) there is truth behind the statements.   Self-esteem drops and what their parents have taught them is questioned.

I won't make a call on how offensive either situation is to everyone.   People believe in different things.   How does SSM improve society?

So you're saying they aren't just saying the n word but they're still calling the kid the n word? They're abusing him. That's not just offense, it's actual harm.

I think society is improved by granting equal rights to a subset of the population but it doesn't even need to go that far. My view on life is that if someone wants to do something and it doesn't harm anyone else, they should be allowed to do it. This applies to things like drugs, cigarettes, prostitution, and gay marriage. We don't need the government so involved in our lives.
Nope, not necessarily directing anything towards him.  He's just hearing the language.

Again, we disagree on "harm anyone else".    I'm not comfortable in deciding what harms everyone on the planet.    We obviously disagree on "offensive does not equal harm". 
6/19/2013 10:49 AM
Ok, then no harm.

If you want to argue that there's harm in allowing gay marriage, you need to, you know, actually show how people are being harmed. Offense alone is not harm.
6/19/2013 10:52 AM
I've already explained why I think your answer is bullshit. 

Therefore, I don't need to re-explain how SSM could be harmful.

Thanks for your limited, bullshit participation.
6/19/2013 10:59 AM
Way to puss out. There is no harm or you wouldn't have to resort to N word analogies to try to prove your point.
6/19/2013 11:02 AM
To make you happy, I'll just do copy/paste.

If a parent has taught his child that homosexuality is an abberant behavior, right or wrong and for whatever reason, he will now being seeing his government approve of said behavior.     Is that so much different than a child being subjected to seeing/hearing things he's been taught as wrong? 
6/19/2013 11:04 AM
Sorry but I'm not going to repeat the same thing over and over and over again because you can't piece things together.   

Your ignorance is not my problem.
6/19/2013 11:05 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/19/2013 11:04:00 AM (view original):
To make you happy, I'll just do copy/paste.

If a parent has taught his child that homosexuality is an abberant behavior, right or wrong and for whatever reason, he will now being seeing his government approve of said behavior.     Is that so much different than a child being subjected to seeing/hearing things he's been taught as wrong? 
But we don't make those things illegal because being offended and learning to deal with the fact that other people are different is part of life. That isn't harm.
6/19/2013 11:16 AM
Again, we disagree on "harm anyone else".    I'm not comfortable in deciding what harms everyone on the planet.    We obviously disagree on "offensive does not equal harm". 
6/19/2013 11:24 AM
In politically correct America, we're not supposed to offend anybody.

Haven't you been paying attention?
6/19/2013 11:25 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/19/2013 11:24:00 AM (view original):
But you are comfortable with deciding what harms everyone on the planet because you are saying that gay marriage is causing harm. Even if you can't actually come up with a single example of actual harm.
6/19/2013 11:29 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 11:25:00 AM (view original):
In politically correct America, we're not supposed to offend anybody.

Haven't you been paying attention?
So you would like a less politically correct America where we don't worry as much about not offending people?
6/19/2013 11:30 AM
◂ Prev 1...210|211|212|213|214...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.