DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Therefore, I don't need to re-explain how SSM could be harmful.

6/19/2013 11:31 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 11:30:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 11:25:00 AM (view original):
In politically correct America, we're not supposed to offend anybody.

Haven't you been paying attention?
So you would like a less politically correct America where we don't worry as much about not offending people?
I would like a less politically correct America where we don't have to be so touchy-feely "everybody has to be included even if they're different" over-sensitive.
6/19/2013 11:36 AM
To answer your next post in advance:

At the end of the day, I ask "Does SSM make society better?"   Thus far, no one has convinced me that it does.   "Live life like they want to" doesn't work for me.    Too many examples of that motto, that do not violate laws, just aren't good.
6/19/2013 11:36 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 11:36:00 AM (view original):

So you would like a less politically correct America where we don't worry as much about not offending people?
I would like a less politically correct America where we don't have to be so touchy-feely "everybody has to be included even if they're different" over-sensitive.
Or maybe less politically correct in that we don't worry so much about what other people do that might offended us and, instead, focus on our own lives.
6/19/2013 12:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/19/2013 11:36:00 AM (view original):
To answer your next post in advance:

At the end of the day, I ask "Does SSM make society better?"   Thus far, no one has convinced me that it does.   "Live life like they want to" doesn't work for me.    Too many examples of that motto, that do not violate laws, just aren't good.
What would I be replying to in my "next post?" You didn't address the first post.

Gay marriage doesn't harm anyone. You can't even come up with a single example. I don't think we (or the government) should be in the business of telling people how to live their lives if they aren't harming anyone else. They shouldn't have to prove that their actions benefit society, just like you shouldn't have to prove that want you want to do benefits society.
6/19/2013 12:09 PM

6/19/2013 12:12 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 12:04:00 PM (view original):

Or maybe less politically correct in that we don't worry so much about what other people do that might offended us and, instead, focus on our own lives.
I'm thinking more along the lines of one in which values and tradition are honored, respected and carried forward.
6/19/2013 12:17 PM
"I would like you to change this.  I understand it's something that's always been that way in this country but I want it changed."

"Why?  Does it benefit society?"

"I DON'T HAVE TO PROVE THAT TO YOU!!!!"

"Oh, OK.  Good point."
6/19/2013 12:18 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 12:17:00 PM (view original):

I'm thinking more along the lines of one in which values and tradition are honored, respected and carried forward.
Oh so you want everyone to be politically correct, but only with regards to things you find important. Got it.
6/19/2013 12:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/19/2013 12:12:00 PM (view original):

I like how you say "re-explain." It's a bistiza-like disconnect from reality.
6/19/2013 12:25 PM
I'm going to call bullshit on your answer.

Children are impressionable.   Adults saying "The little N over there..." and "Those stupid N at work..." will either lead the child to believe A) the word is acceptable or B) there is truth behind the statements.   Self-esteem drops and what their parents have taught them is questioned.

I won't make a call on how offensive either situation is to everyone.   People believe in different things.   How does SSM improve society?

6/19/2013 12:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/19/2013 12:27:00 PM (view original):
I'm going to call bullshit on your answer.

Children are impressionable.   Adults saying "The little N over there..." and "Those stupid N at work..." will either lead the child to believe A) the word is acceptable or B) there is truth behind the statements.   Self-esteem drops and what their parents have taught them is questioned.

I won't make a call on how offensive either situation is to everyone.   People believe in different things.   How does SSM improve society?

So should we make the N word illegal? Because that's the line of logic that you're proposing. X might be offensive to some people, X should be made illegal.
6/19/2013 12:34 PM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 12:26:00 PM (view original):

Oh so you want everyone to be politically correct, but only with regards to things you find important. Got it.
That's not what I said.

Though it's ironic that you would criticize somebody who you think is saying that, when you're doing the same ******* thing.
6/19/2013 12:29 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 12:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 12:26:00 PM (view original):

That's not what I said.

Though it's ironic that you would criticize somebody who you think is saying that, when you're doing the same ******* thing.
Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry because it's politically correct (even though it is), they should be allowed to marry because, to borrow from first graders, you're not the boss if me. Who the **** am I to tell other people how they get to live their lives? Gays are married now and the world didnt end. It's not any of our business if they want to continue to marry, they aren't hurting anyone.
6/19/2013 12:33 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/18/2013 9:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/18/2013 9:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/18/2013 8:54:00 PM (view original):
It offends those who find it an abomination of tradition and of the meaning of "marriage".

In today's politically correct society, we're not supposed to offend anybody.

Why are gays so insensitive by insisting that they need to be married?
Offense is not harm or a good reason to make something illegal.

Interracial marriage offends those who find it an abomination of tradition and the meaning of marriage.
Why are interracial couples so insensitive by insisting that they need to me married?
There are much fewer people who are offended by interracial marriage than there are by gay marriage.

Anyways, interracial marriage has not been uncommon throughout the course of human history.  Do you deny that?

The concept of gay marriage is a recent phenomenon.  Do you deny that?
It seems like that is what you are saying.
6/19/2013 12:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...211|212|213|214|215...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.