DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

You can't tell the difference between an apple and a blueberry?  Go to the grocery store.  The mentally-impaired shelf stocker should be able to show you the difference.
6/19/2013 2:50 PM
6/19/2013 2:52 PM
6/19/2013 3:04 PM
6/19/2013 3:05 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 2:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/19/2013 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Or, to reference tec's pie analogy, Is there any significant difference between an apple pie and a blueberry pie?   Aside from one being made with apples and the other being made with blueberries?
Nope, they are both still pie. Fruit/sugar filled pastries baked in an oven.
Legally formalized and recognized relationship = pie

Marriage = apple pie (one type of pie)

Civil Union = blueberry pie (a different type of pie)
6/19/2013 3:15 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/19/2013 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/19/2013 1:45:00 PM (view original):
Can't believe I'm posting in here again.

Directed towards tec.  Aside from the obvious, do you see a significant difference between a loving relationship between 2 people of the opposite sex and 2 people of the same sex?
OK.  I assume you are talking about a legally formalized and recognized relationship.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

The only difference I see is that one (opposite sex) would be a traditional marriage, and the other (same sex) would be a civil union.  Similar things, different connotations.
Not what I mean.  Take the marriage out of it for now.  Is there a significant difference between a loving, healthy heterosexual relationship and a loving, healthy homosexual relationship?  Aside from the fact that one is homosexual and the other is heterosexual?
Not really, other than one has always been generally accepted and embraced by social norms while the other has not.
6/19/2013 3:18 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Or, to reference tec's pie analogy, Is there any significant difference between an apple pie and a blueberry pie?   Aside from one being made with apples and the other being made with blueberries?

Or

Marriage = pie
Straight marriage = apple pie
Gay marriage = blueberry pie
6/19/2013 3:48 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 3:48:00 PM (view original):

Or

Marriage = pie
Nope.  You're (incorrectly) assuming that all legally formalized and recognized relationships are "marriage".  They are not.
6/19/2013 3:56 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 3:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 3:48:00 PM (view original):

Or

Marriage = pie
Nope.  You're (incorrectly) assuming that all legally formalized and recognized relationships are "marriage".  They are not.
I didn't say they were. But since marriage already includes gay couples, you really can't exclude them from whatever flavor of pie represents marriage.
6/19/2013 3:59 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 3:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/19/2013 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/19/2013 1:45:00 PM (view original):
Can't believe I'm posting in here again.

Directed towards tec.  Aside from the obvious, do you see a significant difference between a loving relationship between 2 people of the opposite sex and 2 people of the same sex?
OK.  I assume you are talking about a legally formalized and recognized relationship.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

The only difference I see is that one (opposite sex) would be a traditional marriage, and the other (same sex) would be a civil union.  Similar things, different connotations.
Not what I mean.  Take the marriage out of it for now.  Is there a significant difference between a loving, healthy heterosexual relationship and a loving, healthy homosexual relationship?  Aside from the fact that one is homosexual and the other is heterosexual?
Not really, other than one has always been generally accepted and embraced by social norms while the other has not.
OK, so let's say there isn't one.

Why do people get married?  They want to make a commitment to each other, that they'll spend the rest of their lives together.  That they'll always love them and be there for them, etc, etc, etc.  

Unless we're missing something - There isn't a difference in how homosexual relationships work.  So the SOLE reason to prevent SSM is because they are members of the same-sex.  And I suppose that myself and BL and others don't really see that as a good enough reason.  They're people.  Two people of the same sex who are in love with each other want to make a commitment to each other through marriage that they'll always be there for each other, and will commit to each other to be the best possible couple they can be.  I don't see how it's significantly different than 2 people of the opposite sex.

You do.  Changing the definition to include same-sex couples is a major step that changes what marriage is for you.  I do understand that it's a change to the classic definition, but I don't see that in itself as a legitimate reason.  I'd like to think I get both sides of any argument.  I'm still trying to understand yours.  Values and tradition...ok.  But I think we like to celebrate marriage as people showing their commitment to each other for the rest of their lives, and that's the important part of marriage.  The man-woman thing seems less important.

I guess I'm asking you to enlighten me a little bit more.  I went back about 8 pages to see if I missed anything new in your argument and didn't see anything.  I'm missing something here.  What it is about marriage that makes the man-woman part of it so important?
6/19/2013 4:01 PM
Conversely, why is "marriage" so important to "your side" when both tec and I have said "civil unions could and should have the same benefits/drawbacks as marriage"?

Why is that word so important on that side of the fence?
6/19/2013 4:13 PM
Maybe you should answer the question before asking one.
6/19/2013 4:30 PM
I'll answer the question, once tec answers.
6/19/2013 4:39 PM
Why do homosexuals have to do everything (aside from sex) the same way as heterosexuals?

I ask because I really don't get it.

6/19/2013 4:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 4:30:00 PM (view original):
Maybe you should answer the question before asking one.
Hello, pot.   Stop being so goddam black.
6/19/2013 4:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...213|214|215|216|217...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.