DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Pro life is a bit murkier then SSM.  If you believe abortion is the same thing as murder then you have a stronger arguement no doubt then a person against SSM.

While I think pro-life and anti-SSM are BOTH strong arguments, I would tend to agree with you on the overall point. The pro-life argument is incredibly strong, and the only people who challenge the position want to change the nature of the debate (to make it more about choices than about life, which is why the term "pro-choice" is used rather than "anti-life", well, that and the fact that "anti-life" is terrible from a public relations standpoint).

Compared to the rock solid nature of a "pro-life" argument, an anti-SSM position is naturally the weaker of the two. It's based upon personal beliefs and tradition rather than what necessarily makes the most logical sense. Still, personal beliefs and tradition are things that matter to people, and as such they must be considered in any argument over what the government should do regarding the matter.
I cant believe you are comparing gay people to trees and bridges. 
I'm not. I'm comparing one reason people want to change the rules of marriage to another potential reason.
Do you not understand the difference between a sentient being and an inanimate object?
Certainly I do. But we have to draw the line somewhere. Why are we drawing the line immediately after SSM? Why not before that (with just heterosexual marriage) or further down the line (by allowing people to marry trees, bridges, etc.)?

The reason is because the homosexual agenda benefits from a decision to draw the line where you suggest, and that's all that matters to them.
drinking harms countless thousands every year, smoking harms countless millions.
Yes, and I think there need to be much stronger laws against those things and the harms they cause.

I think taxes should be increased to incredible amounts on tobacco and alcohol. If people are going to do stupid things they're going to pay society back for some of what they cost it.

I think getting a DUI (or DWI) should be a felony even on the first time, and I favor the death penalty for anyone who kills someone else while driving drunk. In fact, I think the relatives and friends of the deceased victim should get to choose the method by which they drunken fool gets killed, and it should be televised to discourage other drunken idiots from getting behind the wheel.
7/15/2013 2:04 PM
Posted by bistiza on 7/15/2013 1:50:00 PM (view original):
I think SSM is bad for society.  Children cannot be created from a homosexual relationship, and should not be adopted or reared within one because children with a both a mother and a father figure in their lives consistently are better off in life than those with the influence of just one gender. This is particularly startling in cases where the child's gender is the opposite of that of the only parental figure(s) they are exposed to.

While some research has shown there to be "no difference" between homosexual and heterosexual parents, that research has significant flaws that the homosexual agenda has conveniently overlooked.

Of course no matter what research is done on this matter, someone will question the methods behind it and claim it isn't valid. A 2011 study found children of same sex couples "fare worse socially, psychologically and physically than people raised in other family arrangements," but naturally the study was immediately criticized by members of the homosexual agenda.

There have been NO definative unrefutable studies showing kids of gay couples being worse off then those from hetero couples.  Its too ambiguous a thing to quantify with certainty.  I would think climate change models would be equally as complicated, there probably are as many variables in one as there is in the other.  But here is a guess, and if you can prove it wrong please do so, that countries and or states that allow gay marriage are happier then those who dont.  I fully admit I havent done the research on this, but I would be very surprised if that statement were false.  
7/15/2013 2:05 PM
LOL @ greeny for arguing with biz.
7/15/2013 2:15 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/15/2013 1:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/15/2013 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Is it good for society?
Is it bad for society?

Is that your final answer?

Did you sleep in on Sunday?
Did you wake up early today?
7/15/2013 2:35 PM
Posted by greeny9 on 7/15/2013 1:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by greeny9 on 7/14/2013 3:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/13/2013 1:48:00 PM (view original):
Is that any different from those who feel that their "new" views or opinions are somehow "better" for society, and insist that the world change to fit their new views?  And whoever is reluctant or unwilling to jump on the bandwagon must be ostracized?
society is better when people have the right to do things that they want to do when what they want to do does not directly hurt others, especially when they simply want to do things that are legal for the majority of the population.  Or is society better when its unchanging and rigid?  Society changes, and our institutions should be able to change with them.
Shooting black tar heroin doesn't directly hurt anyone else.   I don't think BTH users are good for society. 
Really it doesnt?  How about the people that DUI?  Or the kids of addicts I guess they arent harmed.  Not to mention crack babies, I suppose they werent harmed or wronged?  Seriously guys, these are your best arguements?  This is like arguing with the mentally handicapped.  If you want to argue that gay marriage is on par with smoking crack or shooting heroin tell me precisely how is Mark and Frank marrying harming you personally?  In any situation at all how can their marriage possibly hurt you?  Ive given you a few REAL and undeniably harmful things that can and absolutely do happen with addicts and people who cross paths with them, please do the same.
I'm talking about one individual shooting black tar heroin.   Not his/her make believe children or crack babies.

Nonetheless, I've argued that EVERYTHING has some effect on society.   It may be small and insignificant but nobody lives in a vacuum(if they're part of society).   "Does not directly hurt others" can be applied to damn near everything done in the privacy of one's home.
7/15/2013 2:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 2:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/15/2013 1:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/15/2013 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Is it good for society?
Is it bad for society?

Is that your final answer?

Did you sleep in on Sunday?
Did you wake up early today?
What do you consider early?
7/15/2013 2:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Is that any different from those who feel that their "new" views or opinions are somehow "better" for society, and insist that the world change to fit their new views?  And whoever is reluctant or unwilling to jump on the bandwagon must be ostracized?
society is better when people have the right to do things that they want to do when what they want to do does not directly hurt others, especially when they simply want to do things that are legal for the majority of the population.  Or is society better when its unchanging and rigid?  Society changes, and our institutions should be able to change with them.
Shooting black tar heroin doesn't directly hurt anyone else.   I don't think BTH users are good for society. 
Really it doesnt?  How about the people that DUI?  Or the kids of addicts I guess they arent harmed.  Not to mention crack babies, I suppose they werent harmed or wronged?  Seriously guys, these are your best arguements?  This is like arguing with the mentally handicapped.  If you want to argue that gay marriage is on par with smoking crack or shooting heroin tell me precisely how is Mark and Frank marrying harming you personally?  In any situation at all how can their marriage possibly hurt you?  Ive given you a few REAL and undeniably harmful things that can and absolutely do happen with addicts and people who cross paths with them, please do the same.
I'm talking about one individual shooting black tar heroin.   Not his/her make believe children or crack babies.

Nonetheless, I've argued that EVERYTHING has some effect on society.   It may be small and insignificant but nobody lives in a vacuum(if they're part of society).   "Does not directly hurt others" can be applied to damn near everything done in the privacy of one's home.
Ok. So what's the negative effect on society if we allow gay marriage?
7/15/2013 2:43 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/15/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):

What's the positive effect if SSM is allowed?
7/15/2013 2:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 2:46:00 PM (view original):

I'm not arguing that there are positive effects. I'm arguing that there are no negative effects.
7/15/2013 2:48 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/15/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):

I'm not arguing that there are positive effects. I'm arguing that there are no negative effects.
If there are no positive effects, why bother?
7/15/2013 2:49 PM
There have been NO definative unrefutable studies showing kids of gay couples being worse off then those from hetero couples.

The homosexual agenda will always dispute any study that shows homosexual couples are worse parents no matter what. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
that countries and or states that allow gay marriage are happier then those who dont.

That would be an interesting study, and I think it would show people are NOT as happy in those countries, mostly because the people who don't agree with SSM's being unhappy negates any happiness felt by those who are happier for it, and the overall tension is the only tiebreaker, and as most tension does, it brings happiness down.
LOL @ greeny for arguing with biz.
You think it's funny that "greeny" has put together a better argument in two or three posts than you and several others could in at least ten times the number of posts?

Yeah, come to think of it, that is rather amusing. This guy has shown up the combined "powers" of several of you, including tec and BL, and all within a few simple posts. That's hilarious.
7/15/2013 3:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 2:49:00 PM (view original):

There aren't any negative effects, so standing in the way seems unreasonable.
7/15/2013 3:05 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/15/2013 3:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2013 2:49:00 PM (view original):

There aren't any negative effects, so standing in the way seems unreasonable.
Not to me.   When change is made, there should be a reason.   You know, like a positive effect.   
7/15/2013 3:11 PM
Because you say so?
7/15/2013 3:13 PM

Shouldn't actions taken have intended positive effects?  Otherwise, what's the point of taking said action?

As the old saying goes . . . if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
7/15/2013 3:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...300|301|302|303|304...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.