DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

So whats the limit on wives then? 3? 4?  Am I assuming that polygamists will cut out things from their "non-wife" time?  Why do I feel like that isn't happening.

And I know.  If tec wants to call me a hypocrite, I don't know if I have much of a leg to stand on.  What I'll say, again, is just because gay marriage happens doesn't mean that we have to allow for M/W/W marriages, or M/M/M/M/W/W/W/W/W/W/W marriages.
4/4/2013 10:38 AM
Why does there have to be a limit for consenting adults?   If wife #1 is cool with wife #2, what's the problem?   And, if wives 1-25 are good with adding wife #26, why should we care?
4/4/2013 10:43 AM
Equal, happy and hurting no one is all we're after, right?
4/4/2013 10:45 AM
Sure, I guess.  You convinced me on polygamous marriages being ok.  Congrats.

Although I feel like 99.9% of wives will get a divorce rather than allow wife 2.
4/4/2013 10:55 AM

I don't know.   I think the number of men who cheat on their wives is pretty high.   Women seem to tolerate it pretty well.

And it could be husband #1 and husband #2.    Or MMWW.    Lots of possible combinations.    If they consent to it, I assume they're cool with it.  If hubby #1 presents it to wife #1, and she objects, I guess he'd have a decision to make.

4/4/2013 11:02 AM
Is it? And do they?
4/4/2013 11:04 AM
You convinced me, I think I'm ok with the polygamous marriage.  Although you brought up some issues earlier on why it could be problematic.  I'd have to dive into those further.  Like I said earlier, I don't know enough to really have a good strong opinion on it.
4/4/2013 11:11 AM
Well, I've heard the number to be 70% who ADMIT to it.   So I'd guess it's higher.   Divorce rates are around 50% and certainly all of them are not due to affairs.    I assume some women don't know but I also believe some women don't want to know. 

Re:  Polygamy.   Maybe we should figure out the issues of polygamy before writing off on it.   Which has sort of been my point about SSM(of which polygamy was an issue). 
4/4/2013 11:25 AM
That's high.  Damn.

Yes, I agree re: polygamy.  You mentioned a few of them.

I'd love to talk about the issues re: gay marriage.  And they are...? (And saying "But if you accept gay marriage, you have to accept polygamous marriage" isn't an issue.  Because, no, you don't, as they're 2 different things.)
4/4/2013 11:33 AM
Do you agree that changing marriage from one man/one woman to two people is an actual change?   I assume "yes".

Do you agree that making this change is a change for promoting equality and happiness?   I assume "yes".

Do you agree that making changes for the promotion of equality and happiness opens doors for others, who are now denied marriage to their loved ones, to slip in?   Or at least fight for the same rights?
4/4/2013 11:37 AM
FYI, I'm not sure "cheating" is necessarily a sexual act.   For instance, say you took the same woman to dinner every Tuesday without your wife's knowledge(it's her ladies book club night).   Nothing but dinner and chit chat.   Would you consider that cheating?   Would your wife?
4/4/2013 11:39 AM
It may open doors, but it doesn't mean we can't close them because we recognize there are issues.

I'm for the legalization of marijuana. Are you against it, because people would then want the legalization of cocaine? 
4/4/2013 11:42 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/4/2013 11:39:00 AM (view original):
FYI, I'm not sure "cheating" is necessarily a sexual act.   For instance, say you took the same woman to dinner every Tuesday without your wife's knowledge(it's her ladies book club night).   Nothing but dinner and chit chat.   Would you consider that cheating?   Would your wife?
If I'm hiding if from my wife, yea, it's probably cheating.
4/4/2013 11:42 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/4/2013 11:39:00 AM (view original):
If I'm hiding if from my wife, yea, it's probably cheating.
It's a gray area.   If she asks "What did you do tonight?" and you lie, yeah, it's probably cheating of some sort.   If she never asks, I don't know.   That said, I think it eventually ends up there.
4/4/2013 11:47 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 11:42:00 AM (view original):
It may open doors, but it doesn't mean we can't close them because we recognize there are issues.

I'm for the legalization of marijuana. Are you against it, because people would then want the legalization of cocaine? 
I'd argue that I'm non-committal to SSM because of the polygamy door.   I don't think it's an unreasonable position to have.

I'm against it because it robs you of ambition.  Experience speaking.   But, yeah, I think it cracks a door.    I don't know if cocaine gets in because of addiction/health issues but the door is cracked for legalization of other, currently illegal drugs.   Of course, the legalized drug issue is pretty damn complex(more complex than SSM, IMO).   I can't argue that a dose of govt-controlled herion is infinitely "safer" than street smack. 
4/4/2013 11:53 AM
◂ Prev 1...34|35|36|37|38...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.