DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 5:09:00 PM (view original):
A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin.  If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed.

(Deuteronomy 22:13-21)
Ye shall lose any and all Bible arguments with me.

A book written by men with agendas.   Doesn't mean religion is bad.
4/4/2013 5:14 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/4/2013 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 4/4/2013 4:47:00 PM (view original):
Not everybody believes that gay marriage is "making something right".  Just because you and bad_luck believe that does not necessarily make it so.
What would be wrong with allowing gay marriage?
Page 1 of this thread.  3/28/2013 9:28 PM

Also, page 2.  
3/29/2013 11:11 AM
I forgot. It's much better to deny an entire group of people marriage rights than it is to alter the definition of a word. Again.
4/4/2013 5:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/4/2013 5:14:00 PM (view original):
A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin.  If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed.

Yes, just that people who claim "religion!" when it comes to homosexuality refer to the bible fairly often.

"Christianity says its wrong."
"Really? Where?"
"The Bible."
"Oh, realllllyyyyy...."

So religion says its bad...if the pope stepped up and said "You know what? Jesus says to love thy neighbor. God loves all things.  If you're attracted to the same sex, so be it."  Would Christians then suddenly be ok with it?  Because their religion says it is?

The problem then, is that marriage is supposed to be a means of having children.  God wants you to multiply.  Which is odd, considering this religion has no qualms about old marriage.
4/4/2013 5:27 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 5:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg2 on 4/4/2013 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 5:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 4/4/2013 5:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 4:59:00 PM (view original):
If you want to dive deeper and share the issues you have with SSM, tec, I'd love to hear them.
Page 1 of this thread.  3/28/2013 9:28 PM

Also, page 2.  
3/29/2013 11:11 AM
I didn't say repeat yourself, I said dive deeper.

If it's no, that's fine.
My post is pretty self-explanatory of my thoughts on the subject.  Not sure a deeper dive is necessary.
If I asked a follow-up question, would you answer it?
Probably not.  

All the "follow-up questions" in this thread have been a variation of either "why are you against gay marriage?" or "what damage would be done by allowing gay marriage?"

So I'm not sure what you might expect would be accomplished by yet another wording of the exact same questions.
4/4/2013 7:52 PM
Tec: allowing gays to marry changes the definition of marriage.

Everyone else: ok, what's wrong with that?

Tec: **** you and your questions. I don't have to answer ****.

EE: ???

Tec: see my first answer.
4/4/2013 8:06 PM
I feel that long and deeply held beliefs and traditions should be respected, and not just tossed to the curb on a whim.

The concept of same-sex marriage is relatively new with respect to how long human culture and human civilization has been around.  In other words, it's a whim.

What part of that don't you understand?  I'm not asking or expecting you to agree with it.  I'm just curious to know why you are incapable of understanding why some people, such as myself, may feel that way.

Why are you demanding that others change their personal and deeply held beliefs to match yours?
4/4/2013 8:31 PM
Is it being tossed to the curb? Because you're still married. And so are plenty of gay people. These gay marriages don't seem to have done any harm to the legal institution of marriage.
4/4/2013 8:45 PM
The belief and tradition that marriage is only between a man and a woman is being tossed to the curb.
4/4/2013 8:48 PM
Marriage still includes heterosexual couples. So the tradition isn't being eliminated. Just changed slightly.

What's the harm?
4/4/2013 9:02 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/4/2013 5:14:00 PM (view original):

Yes, just that people who claim "religion!" when it comes to homosexuality refer to the bible fairly often.

"Christianity says its wrong."
"Really? Where?"
"The Bible."
"Oh, realllllyyyyy...."

So religion says its bad...if the pope stepped up and said "You know what? Jesus says to love thy neighbor. God loves all things.  If you're attracted to the same sex, so be it."  Would Christians then suddenly be ok with it?  Because their religion says it is?

The problem then, is that marriage is supposed to be a means of having children.  God wants you to multiply.  Which is odd, considering this religion has no qualms about old marriage.
Beats me.  I've never been accused of being "religious".
4/5/2013 9:13 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/4/2013 5:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 5:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/4/2013 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/4/2013 4:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/4/2013 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Our society moves much faster now but it took a 100 years before a black man could sit at the same counter and eat lunch.   I'd say the gay movement is moving much, much faster.
It is.  Messages and ideas spread quicker now with better technology.  So while I understand where you are coming from, being uncomfortable with making something right because it's moving too fast isn't the best reason.
Sez you.

I don't know if it's right.   I think it is.   But I have no religious thoughts on the matter.   It's difficult to convince people everything they've believed in is wrong.   I'm not so quick to shove it down their throat.

Morally, I think we're far worse off than we were 20 years ago.  Even more so than 50 years ago.    Despite what AT&T tells us, fast isn't always better.
Yes, and I've said before that it's hard to argue against someone's religious beliefs.  You run into a brick wall.  It is what it is.
Well, would you agree that homosexuality is more accepted today than it was 2 years ago?  10 years ago?  20 years ago?

If so, it's just a matter of time before gay marriage is a "What?  It's not legal?  Who knew?"

It will become akin to a black man drinking from the same fountain.   "What?  We wouldn't let them?  When?"    That was less than 50 years ago.   Seems insane, doesn't it?   Bet your grandad remembers it.   And probably thought it was the right thing to do.
I would know gay marriage wasn't legal when there were no gay marriages.  

"Why aren't you guys married?"
"We're not allowed to be."
"REALLY? That's insane."
Would you agree, today, that there are enough people who don't think it's insane to make it a debateable topic?
4/5/2013 9:15 AM
You're saying that gays will be considered equal at some point in the future.  If we know that, does that mean they shouldn't be now?

If we could have sped up the Civil Rights Movement, should we have?  Or should we have waited that long for African-Americans to be considered equal.
4/5/2013 9:41 AM
I don't really think that failing to have your "marriage" recognized in some states is quite the same as "You can't go to this school, eat at this counter or even enter this building."

In fact, I think it's insulting to A-A to imply that it is.   Very insulting.

Do you disagree?
4/5/2013 9:45 AM
That's not the point.  If you go "Yea, you're right, you'll be able to get married eventually. Hopefully you're still alive then" couldn't you just make it right now?

4/5/2013 9:50 AM
Or are you still afraid of polygamous marriages?  Make sure you tell your all gay friends that's the reason they can't get married.
4/5/2013 9:51 AM
◂ Prev 1...40|41|42|43|44...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.