DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Elton John really struggled to make ends meet.  Bet they wouldn't put him on a children's show back in the day.

4/5/2013 4:54 PM
4/5/2013 4:55 PM

4/5/2013 5:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Elton John really struggled to make ends meet.  Bet they wouldn't put him on a children's show back in the day.

www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/elton-john-the-historic-fight-for-equality-must-go-on-lets-get-on-and-legalise-samesex-marriage-8202686.html

4/5/2013 5:15 PM
He was an admitted bisexual.  It's amazing he doesn't want to marry multiple people.
4/5/2013 5:16 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/5/2013 4:32:00 PM (view original):
And appropriate.
Very.
4/5/2013 5:17 PM
Elton John really came out in 1988.
4/5/2013 5:21 PM
I'll admit that I never really knew until he announced.    I don't know about you but dudes in duck suits and tight pink unisuits strolled the streets of my hometown constantly. 

4/5/2013 5:41 PM
Seriously, don't argue "No one knew EJ was gay", that's just dumb.  Argue "But he's an entertainer.   Different beast".   

There.  I made your argument for you.
4/5/2013 5:42 PM
Let's play a game.   You're on a sports team of some sort.   I'll just say softball because it's what I play.    Are any of these offensive to say after a guy misses the ball?

Votes: 3
(Last vote received: 4/6/2013 10:28 PM)
4/5/2013 5:48 PM
Haha. McFuck.

Yes, he's entertaining, he makes good music, so it's a different beast.  If he's out and a teacher, I don't know if he's first in line with job offers.

4/5/2013 5:53 PM
Anyway, to answer your question, yeah, openly gay was discriminated against 30 years ago.     Probably more recently than that.   My dead, gay uncle had to leave his small hometown and move to NYC to be openly gay.  That was late 70s.

I don't think gays are discriminated against in the workforce in 98% of the situations.   You'll have homophobes, just like you'll have RACISTS!!!!, but it's not widespread. 
4/5/2013 6:06 PM
Part of the "not widespread" aspect is due to the fact that society has moved quicker giving gays equal rights. Considering the fact that gays are getting married as we speak (or write, I guess), we should let it continue as there haven't been any adverse affects.
4/5/2013 6:21 PM
Too long, I know.

I used to be against gay marriage.  I grew up in a conservative household, where I was taught that homosexuality was a choice, an abomination in the eyes of God, unnatural, etc.  I was still againt gay marriage into adulthood - I hadn't heard anything or met anyone compelling enough to make me reconsider my position.  I'm a heterosexual man, happily married to a beautiful woman.  One of my wife's bridesmaids was her sister, who is gay.  My wife's sister and her partner have been together, faithful and happy for over seven years now.  During those seven years, I have known heterosexual couples who have done everything there is to do to destroy "the sanctity of marriage" - adultery, divorce, rampant lying, inattentive or wholly abusive parenting, etc.  My sister-in-law and her partner remain faithful to one another, take care of their nieces and their nephews, and love each other and the rest of the family purely and unconditionally.  They were there on my wedding day, sharing in the celebration, wishing us well, letting us know they would be there for us as family for the rest of our lives.  I would like to be there at their wedding day to do the same.  In my mind, no two people deserve to be married more than they do.  In my mind, no two people would better represent what it means to be married than they would.  I simply haven't heard anything remotely approaching a justification for looking them in the eye and telling them "You can't be married.  You can't have a wedding.  You don't deserve the same recognition, by cultural definition AND under the law, that any two heterosexual people (who are qualified to be married only in that they are of legal age, can sign their name and pay a licensing fee) deserve."
4/6/2013 2:36 PM (edited)
Posted by examinerebb on 4/6/2013 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Too long, I know.

I used to be against gay marriage.  I grew up in a conservative household, where I was taught that homosexuality was a choice, an abomination in the eyes of God, unnatural, etc.  I was still againt gay marriage into adulthood - I hadn't heard anything or met anyone compelling enough to make me reconsider my position.  I'm a heterosexual man, happily married to a beautiful woman.  One of my wife's bridesmaids was her sister, who is gay.  My wife's sister and her partner have been together, faithful and happy for over seven years now.  During those seven years, I have known heterosexual couples who have done everything there is to do to destroy "the sanctity of marriage" - adultery, divorce, rampant lying, inattentive or wholly abusive parenting, etc.  My sister-in-law and her partner remain faithful to one another, take care of their nieces and their nephews, and love each other and the rest of the family purely and unconditionally.  They were there on my wedding day, sharing in the celebration, wishing us well, letting us know they would be there for us as family for the rest of our lives.  I would like to be there at their wedding day to do the same.  In my mind, no two people deserve to be married more than they do.  In my mind, no two people would better represent what it means to be married than they would.  I simply haven't heard anything remotely approaching a justification for looking them in the eye and telling them "You can't be married.  You can't have a wedding.  You don't deserve the same recognition, by cultural definition AND under the law, that any two heterosexual people (who are qualified to be married only in that they are of legal age, can sign their name and pay a licensing fee) deserve."
Slow clap.
4/6/2013 4:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...44|45|46|47|48...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.