DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Read a few pages.

So gay marriage shouldn't be allowed because of polygamy, blacks got discriminated for a longer period of time, and Elton John.

Mike's chewbacca defense is in full effect.
4/7/2013 8:10 AM
Posted by examinerebb on 4/6/2013 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Too long, I know.

I used to be against gay marriage.  I grew up in a conservative household, where I was taught that homosexuality was a choice, an abomination in the eyes of God, unnatural, etc.  I was still againt gay marriage into adulthood - I hadn't heard anything or met anyone compelling enough to make me reconsider my position.  I'm a heterosexual man, happily married to a beautiful woman.  One of my wife's bridesmaids was her sister, who is gay.  My wife's sister and her partner have been together, faithful and happy for over seven years now.  During those seven years, I have known heterosexual couples who have done everything there is to do to destroy "the sanctity of marriage" - adultery, divorce, rampant lying, inattentive or wholly abusive parenting, etc.  My sister-in-law and her partner remain faithful to one another, take care of their nieces and their nephews, and love each other and the rest of the family purely and unconditionally.  They were there on my wedding day, sharing in the celebration, wishing us well, letting us know they would be there for us as family for the rest of our lives.  I would like to be there at their wedding day to do the same.  In my mind, no two people deserve to be married more than they do.  In my mind, no two people would better represent what it means to be married than they would.  I simply haven't heard anything remotely approaching a justification for looking them in the eye and telling them "You can't be married.  You can't have a wedding.  You don't deserve the same recognition, by cultural definition AND under the law, that any two heterosexual people (who are qualified to be married only in that they are of legal age, can sign their name and pay a licensing fee) deserve."
Good, a real life example.  

I'd ask them two questions:
1.  Do they want to be married?
2.  Is their relationship somehow less because they aren't?
4/7/2013 9:16 AM
And if both answers are yes?
4/7/2013 10:32 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 4/7/2013 8:10:00 AM (view original):
Read a few pages.

So gay marriage shouldn't be allowed because of polygamy, blacks got discriminated for a longer period of time, and Elton John.

Mike's chewbacca defense is in full effect.
Gay marriage shouldnt be allowed because the people of the state voted to make that the regulation of marriage.

If you want to chage it win elections.

Do not get the Federal Government to impose its rules on every state.

This is an issue of freedom of the people vs Federal Government power.
4/8/2013 1:26 AM
You don't get to vote on rights like this. Just like we couldn't vote to take away interracial marriage, we shouldn't be able to vote to take away gay marriage.
4/8/2013 9:23 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 6:06:00 PM (view original):
Anyway, to answer your question, yeah, openly gay was discriminated against 30 years ago.     Probably more recently than that.   My dead, gay uncle had to leave his small hometown and move to NYC to be openly gay.  That was late 70s.

I don't think gays are discriminated against in the workforce in 98% of the situations.   You'll have homophobes, just like you'll have RACISTS!!!!, but it's not widespread. 
I don't think they are as much now, I think they definitely were then.  Just like "RACISTS!"
4/8/2013 9:46 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/8/2013 9:23:00 AM (view original):
You don't get to vote on rights like this. Just like we couldn't vote to take away interracial marriage, we shouldn't be able to vote to take away gay marriage.
It should never have been allowed in the first place.

We're not allowed to undo a wrong?
4/8/2013 9:55 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/8/2013 9:46:00 AM (view original):
Anyway, to answer your question, yeah, openly gay was discriminated against 30 years ago.     Probably more recently than that.   My dead, gay uncle had to leave his small hometown and move to NYC to be openly gay.  That was late 70s.

I don't think gays are discriminated against in the workforce in 98% of the situations.   You'll have homophobes, just like you'll have RACISTS!!!!, but it's not widespread. 
I don't think they are as much now, I think they definitely were then.  Just like "RACISTS!"
So we agree on something?
4/8/2013 9:56 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/8/2013 9:55:00 AM (view original):

You keep saying it's wrong, but won't get into details.  Would love to argue with you, but you won't let me.
4/8/2013 10:09 AM

I disagree with this.

I think we should put any controversial decision to a popular vote and let the people decide the laws. If the people don't favor gay marriage, don't let it happen. And (from another topic) if the people don't give a crap if the ten commandments are posted at courthouses, leave them there.

When we start letting the minority viewpoint have its way for no reason other than to "accept" everything under the sun that anyone wants, we begin our decent into anarchy.
4/8/2013 10:12 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/8/2013 9:56:00 AM (view original):

Yes, people are more open-minded and accepting now than they were then.  
4/8/2013 10:12 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/8/2013 10:12:00 AM (view original):

I disagree with this.

I think we should put any controversial decision to a popular vote and let the people decide the laws. If the people don't favor gay marriage, don't let it happen. And (from another topic) if the people don't give a crap if the ten commandments are posted at courthouses, leave them there.

When we start letting the minority viewpoint have its way for no reason other than to "accept" everything under the sun that anyone wants, we begin our decent into anarchy.
Not sure it's even a minority anymore.

If "majority rules" decided everything, I feel like the south would look a little different today.
4/8/2013 10:14 AM
I think gay marriage is still in the minority. But the ******* ACLU keeps pushing it on us just like they do with so much other BS.

I'm not sure what you mean by the south looking different today, but I'm sure it would look quite different if the europeans who came to America had not decided to go to Africa and kidnap people and make them slaves. In fact, many people of African origin wouldn't even exist today (or if they did, they'd live in Africa). So yeah that would have changed things - not sure if that's what you mean.

4/8/2013 10:19 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/8/2013 9:55:00 AM (view original):

Why should it have never been allowed?
4/8/2013 10:24 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/8/2013 10:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/8/2013 9:56:00 AM (view original):

Yes, people are more open-minded and accepting now than they were then.  

So, in an overwhelming majority of situations today, a gay man(or woman) isn't likely to be discriminated against?

4/8/2013 10:27 AM
◂ Prev 1...45|46|47|48|49...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.