DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Mike,

Well, thankfully she's not.  If she did say that, we'd have issues.  If she says that 2 years from now, that's a different story...the issue may be on me.
4/9/2013 11:53 AM
Probably.   But, again, that's cultural.   No one, except celebs, get engaged and wait years to get married.   That leads to "Why won't he just go ahead and marry me?  Did he ask just so he could keep his options open?"
4/9/2013 12:05 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/9/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):
No, claiming that people are allowed to discriminate against various groups of people if they want to makes you an ***.
You trying to tell people what to think seems far worse to me than telling people they have the freedom to think as they please.
When you decide to act on negative thoughts towards other people, that's when a line is crossed.
Unless you violate someone's rights, no line is crossed. I don't think it violates anyone's rights if you do not feel comfortable allowing someone into your home or business for whatever reason, and I fully support a business' right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.
 As in, if I met you, I may think I want to punch you in the face.  But I probably wouldn't act on it.

Turning down business from someone is a far cry from punching them in the face.  If someone doesn't want your business, take it elsewhere and consider it their loss. It's that simple.

Don't threaten to sue because you don't like their reason for rejecting your business. That's being foolish and should never be allowed except in the ridiculously litigious society America has become.
Re: ladies night - if it's beside the point, fine.  I get the argument. 
If you get the argument about laides night, then you should understand that it IS discrimination against men. Yet you never hear the news going on and on about it, you don't hear of lawsuits surrounding it, etc. WHY?

Because people are willing to tolerate SOME forms of discrimination, but others are such hot-button issues that they would not only generate lawsuits but national attention almost immediately.

If you're black (or really, anything but white) you can get attention and generate a media circus by claiming that whatever happens to you is something to do with your race. If you're gay, you can do the same thing by claiming it is about your sexual preference.

If you're a white, straight man, no one cares if you are the victim of discrimination. You've got to be part of some minority group with an agenda to get attention and sympathy.
There have been many lawsuits related to ladies night. They are actually illegal now because businesses can't discriminate based on gender.
4/9/2013 12:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 12:05:00 PM (view original):
Probably.   But, again, that's cultural.   No one, except celebs, get engaged and wait years to get married.   That leads to "Why won't he just go ahead and marry me?  Did he ask just so he could keep his options open?"
Let me clarify something I said - when I said "bigger priority to my future wife" i meant "more important to" my future wife.  I realize the way I phrased made it seem like she's in a rush to get married, which she's not.  But "being married" is probably more important to her than it is to me.

Also, as I said before "this is how our culture does it" isn't always a great reason for anything.
4/9/2013 12:13 PM
Well, there you go.  I guess "ladies night" does bother some men.
4/9/2013 12:14 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 12:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 12:05:00 PM (view original):
Let me clarify something I said - when I said "bigger priority to my future wife" i meant "more important to" my future wife.  I realize the way I phrased made it seem like she's in a rush to get married, which she's not.  But "being married" is probably more important to her than it is to me.

Also, as I said before "this is how our culture does it" isn't always a great reason for anything.
"happy and equal" isn't a great reason either.

I don't think gays are being discriminated against wrt to marriage.   Other than our perceived meaning of committment, civil unions accomplish the same thing.  If we were saying "We do not recognize you as a couple" that's a different story.
4/9/2013 12:16 PM
The federal government doesn't recognize civil unions.  (Am i wrong?)

"Happy and equal" is a great reason.  It's the reason for many of our amendments for the constitution, right? We realized there were many people who weren't equal to other citizens of the country, and they were upset about it.  So we changed the laws.
4/9/2013 12:24 PM
Equal is a great reason.    Happy not so much.   Which is why you didn't address that part, I guess.

IMO, civil unions are equal to marriage.
4/9/2013 12:30 PM
Happy, on it's own, is a bad reason, yes.  But you said "happy and equal" which is a great reason.

Civil unions and marriage are equal.  But not the same thing.  So, separate.  Separate, but equal.  Yup.
4/9/2013 12:36 PM
Well, I don't qualify for kid's meals or senior citizen discounts at restaurants.    That's not even equal.    Should I sue?
4/9/2013 12:38 PM
Sure, if you want, and it bothers you.  Apparently people have won lawsuits on fighting "ladies nights."  I was surprised that bothered anyone.  People don't offer senior citizen discounts because they don't want young people at their restaurant. 
4/9/2013 12:43 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):

"Happy and equal" is a great reason.  It's the reason for many of our amendments for the constitution, right? We realized there were many people who weren't equal to other citizens of the country, and they were upset about it.  So we changed the laws.
You are correct.  You receive no federal spousal benefits if you are in a civil union.  Nor can you make decisions with regards to your partners medical care, if they are incapacitated in a hospital, in most states.
4/9/2013 12:49 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 4/9/2013 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):

You are correct.  You receive no federal spousal benefits if you are in a civil union.  Nor can you make decisions with regards to your partners medical care, if they are incapacitated in a hospital, in most states.
And if civil unions received all those benefits, would everybody be happy?  Or would marriage still be demanded?
4/9/2013 12:52 PM
Would you be ok with that? Or would you and your wife want marriage?
4/9/2013 1:00 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Sure, if you want, and it bothers you.  Apparently people have won lawsuits on fighting "ladies nights."  I was surprised that bothered anyone.  People don't offer senior citizen discounts because they don't want young people at their restaurant. 
I guess that's where we differ. 

I wouldn't fight for the right to be married or get a senior citizen discount.  

I'd rather argue on the internet, because it's very fruitful, than waste my time on either of those things.
4/9/2013 1:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...53|54|55|56|57...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.