DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 1:41:00 PM (view original):
If you couldn't buy a gun in your state (but could own one), would that bother you?  It's worth buying one, right?  So just go to another state and get it.

I don't understand your second question and how it relates to this.  No, that's not a good enough reason.

No.  If I wanted a gun, I'd do what was required(like fill out a form or go to another state).   If my state made guns illegal, I wouldn't have a gun.   If my state had never had legal guns, I imagine I wouldn't want one.

You said "I feel I should be able...."     So, you agree, how one "feels" isn't necessarily a great guideline to follow?

No, I've been giving reasons why I'd feel that way.  Those are the reasons.  Keep up.
4/9/2013 1:48 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 1:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 4/9/2013 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 4/9/2013 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):
The federal government doesn't recognize civil unions.  (Am i wrong?)

"Happy and equal" is a great reason.  It's the reason for many of our amendments for the constitution, right? We realized there were many people who weren't equal to other citizens of the country, and they were upset about it.  So we changed the laws.
You are correct.  You receive no federal spousal benefits if you are in a civil union.  Nor can you make decisions with regards to your partners medical care, if they are incapacitated in a hospital, in most states.
And if civil unions received all those benefits, would everybody be happy?  Or would marriage still be demanded?
Page 52.

4/8/2013 3:36 PM
So equal rights aren't enough?  It needs to be a holy war over a word?

Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense.
4/9/2013 1:50 PM
"In fact, I maintain I have a right to run my business as I see fit, which includes the right to refuse business to anyone, at any time, for whatever reason I wish." 
And this makes you an ***.

So I'm an *** because I don't want someone else dictating who I do business with?

You are absurd to the point its beyond belief.

No, really, I think you're just saying this because you want to argue with me now, because there is no way you honestly believe someone has the right to tell someone else who they are going to do business with.
"Different" customer:  "I want to buy some ice cream please."
Biz: "No."
DC: "Why?"
Biz: "Because you're <insert difference>"
DC: "You're an ***."

See?

Except it wouldn't happen that way at all. More like this:

"Different" customer: May have an ice cream?
Me: No.
DC: Why not?
Me: (points at sign indicating right to refuse service to anyone)
DC: That sucks. Oh well I'll get ice cream elsewhere. (not happy but accepts situation)

That's how it would work. I owe no one an explanation for why I don't want to do business with them.

4/9/2013 1:50 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/9/2013 1:29:00 PM (view original):
You can claim to maintain all the rights you want. Reality disagrees.

How does "reality" disagree?

If anything, reality agrees with my position, because that's how business works.

If I don't want to buy something from you, I probably have other choices and I can buy it elsewhere. Similarly, if I want to buy something from you and you refuse to sell it to me, it looks like I won't be buying it from you and will need to go elsewhere to get what I need.

Both the buyer and the seller can refuse to do business with each other at any time, and neither needs to explain a reason. As I said, that's how business works.
Sure, you can refuse service. You just can't do it on the basis of race or gender. That's illegal and you don't actually have the right to do it, regardless of what you think.

You can't hang a sign in the window of your restaurant that says, "Whites Only."
4/9/2013 1:51 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/9/2013 1:50:00 PM (view original):

"Happy and equal" is a great reason.  It's the reason for many of our amendments for the constitution, right? We realized there were many people who weren't equal to other citizens of the country, and they were upset about it.  So we changed the laws.
You are correct.  You receive no federal spousal benefits if you are in a civil union.  Nor can you make decisions with regards to your partners medical care, if they are incapacitated in a hospital, in most states.
And if civil unions received all those benefits, would everybody be happy?  Or would marriage still be demanded?
Page 52.

2 sides to a war, tec.  You're right, it doesn't make sense.
4/9/2013 1:51 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/9/2013 1:50:00 PM (view original):
"In fact, I maintain I have a right to run my business as I see fit, which includes the right to refuse business to anyone, at any time, for whatever reason I wish." 
And this makes you an ***.

So I'm an *** because I don't want someone else dictating who I do business with?

You are absurd to the point its beyond belief.

No, really, I think you're just saying this because you want to argue with me now, because there is no way you honestly believe someone has the right to tell someone else who they are going to do business with.
"Different" customer:  "I want to buy some ice cream please."
Biz: "No."
DC: "Why?"
Biz: "Because you're <insert difference>"
DC: "You're an ***."

See?

Except it wouldn't happen that way at all. More like this:

DC: That sucks. Oh well I'll get ice cream elsewhere. (not happy but accepts situation)

That's how it would work. I owe no one an explanation for why I don't want to do business with them.

You're very ignorant if you think that's how the conversation ends.  

DC: Why are you not allowing me service?
Biz: A) Cowers, doesn't give answer.
       B) Because you're <insert difference>
DC: (either way) You're an ***.
4/9/2013 1:54 PM
"So I'm an *** because I don't want someone else dictating who I do business with?"

If you're basing this off someone's gender, age, or race?  Yes, you're an ***.  You're actually a lot worse, but we'll just go with "***."
4/9/2013 1:55 PM

Page 52.

Would you and your wife accept just a civil union or would you like to be married?
4/9/2013 1:57 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 1:51:00 PM (view original):

Page 52.

2 sides to a war, tec.  You're right, it doesn't make sense.
Well, if I'm the "bad guy" for fighting over the meaning of a word, what does that make you and bad_luck for also fighting over the same word?
4/9/2013 2:07 PM
Two sides.

One side says, "hey, those people want to be married. Their relationship is perfectly legal and it won't affect me or anyone else if it's allowed."
Other side says, "you're changing the definition of a word!!! **** what they want, that can't happen."

Who's the *******?
4/9/2013 2:17 PM
I dunno, tec.  You claim there's no difference between marriage and civil unions.  It's just an extra piece of paper. Yet, when asked if it was important to you to have this piece of paper, you don't want to answer the question.  Which means that it must mean SOMETHING to you.

If this is a religious thing, I'll stop arguing with you, I can't change your faith.  If you're just going to argue "history and tradition" there's no many holes in that.
4/9/2013 2:18 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/9/2013 2:17:00 PM (view original):
Two sides.

One side says, "hey, those people want to be married. Their relationship is perfectly legal and it won't affect me or anyone else if it's allowed."
Other side says, "you're changing the definition of a word!!! **** what they want, that can't happen."

Who's the *******?

Two sides.

The side you are arguing for is "right".  The other side is an *******.

Got it.

I can play that game, too.  My side is "right".  Guess what you are?

4/9/2013 2:19 PM
Is your side telling someone else how they can live their life?

Yes? Then you're the *******.
4/9/2013 2:22 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 2:18:00 PM (view original):
I dunno, tec.  You claim there's no difference between marriage and civil unions.  It's just an extra piece of paper. Yet, when asked if it was important to you to have this piece of paper, you don't want to answer the question.  Which means that it must mean SOMETHING to you.

If this is a religious thing, I'll stop arguing with you, I can't change your faith.  If you're just going to argue "history and tradition" there's no many holes in that.
It's not a religious thing.  It's history and tradition.  That's something that's meaningful to me.

I guess that you don't understand that people can have deep seated feelings of respect and value for history and tradition. 
4/9/2013 2:23 PM
How does "ladies night" bother you when you argue any business should be able to do whatever they want?

First, I didn't argue a business can do "whatever they want". I argued a business should be able to do business with whomever they wish.

Second, I'm arguing ladies night is the same as a "whites only" night or other similar things which aren't tolerated, which means by the same logic "ladies night" shouldn't be tolerated either.
Sure, you can refuse service. You just can't do it on the basis of race or gender. That's illegal and you don't actually have the right to do it, regardless of what you think.
So what you're saying is I can refuse service for whatever reason I want as long as I don't explain the reason, which is what I've been saying all along. Got it.
You can't hang a sign in the window of your restaurant that says, "Whites Only."
As I said, you don't hang that sign. You hang one that says "We reserve the right to refuse service" and then you refer to it for whatever reason you want. Problem solved.

Personally I don't care what your race is and I am not racist. But I think people should be able to do business with whomever they wish.

Biz: A) Cowers, doesn't give answer.
       B) Because you're <insert difference>
DC: (either way) You're an ***.

WRONG AGAIN. It would go like this:

Me: Because I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
DC: But why?
Me: I already told you why. Please leave or I'll call the police.

I don't give a **** if the person thinks I'm an *** because they're not worth having anyway if they can't understand a simple concept like right to refuse service to anyone.
If you're basing this off someone's gender, age, or race?  Yes, you're an ***.  You're actually a lot worse, but we'll just go with "***."

You can base the decision on anything you want. For the record I would never actually give a reason as I don't have to give one. It could be you've done something I dislike, it could be you're acting inappropriately, it could be because you're dirty or stink, it could be because I don't like the way you look - whatever.

***The point is it DOESN'T MATTER WHY I refuse service - I still reserve that right, and I don't owe you an explanation regardless.***

4/9/2013 2:24 PM
◂ Prev 1...55|56|57|58|59...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.