Disparity between GUESS reports and performance Topic

My last 7 teams have performed above their guess ratings. I kept trying to figure how to improve my recruiting rankings and the only thing that happened was they were lower the next season. I recruit according to needs and specialties and it seems to work well. The correct game plan with the proper practice time and the players that fit that program seems to be working no matter my guess ranking. 5 of the last 7 seasons were double digit wins. Now I have to figure out how to win some playoff games.  
4/23/2013 10:54 AM
Imho, the rankings for final rosters are usually pretty close to dead on. The recruit rankings can't tell the story of a recruit w/o factoring in his potential and/or WE. Take this DL.

www.gdreports.com/stagg/player/history

Now...he was a monster to begin with, but he was only the #3 DL and #12 prospect in that class overall. By his Fr* season he's the 2nd best player in his class and by his So* year...he's the 16th best player period. He's the #2 player his Jr.* and #1 this year...and could easily start on any of my D1a teams! There are many other examples anyone can bring forward of even better growth etc.

However...if you look at his roster rankings year to year...at least in Stagg, he's pretty close to spot on.

The DII Title has run thru V. State...Virginia St. and gt_deuce's immovable force and Valdosta St. and my irresistible object since season 65. (Before 65...it simply ran thru gt_deuce!)

In 19 seasons, 12 of the titles were won by either of these teams, including last 7...each netting 6 NC's. Here are a few more fun facts...

Virg. St.- Has been ranked in the top 3 teams by GUESS ALL 19 SEASONS! 7 of those seasons he started as the #1 team. 16 of those 19 seasons they made Quarters or better, 14/19 Semi's or better, and 7 NC games with 6 wins. He had exactly ZERO #1 recruiting classes...

Valdosta- Since season 68 (1st full season of all my players) have had all teams ranked in top 5 and in top 3 for last 10 seasons. We were also ranked #1 for 7 seasons. 15 of 19 seasons were Quarters or better, 10/19 Semi's or better, and 7 NC games with 6 wins. In that time we had 3 classes ranked #1...

So as you can see...the class you start with according to GUESS isn't always the class you end up with.

Oh...and I am coming for my crown gt_deuce!!!!
4/23/2013 11:50 AM
Posted by damauler12 on 4/23/2013 11:50:00 AM (view original):
Imho, the rankings for final rosters are usually pretty close to dead on. The recruit rankings can't tell the story of a recruit w/o factoring in his potential and/or WE. Take this DL.

Now...he was a monster to begin with, but he was only the #3 DL and #12 prospect in that class overall. By his Fr* season he's the 2nd best player in his class and by his So* year...he's the 16th best player period. He's the #2 player his Jr.* and #1 this year...and could easily start on any of my D1a teams! There are many other examples anyone can bring forward of even better growth etc.

However...if you look at his roster rankings year to year...at least in Stagg, he's pretty close to spot on.

The DII Title has run thru V. State...Virginia St. and gt_deuce's immovable force and Valdosta St. and my irresistible object since season 65. (Before 65...it simply ran thru gt_deuce!)

In 19 seasons, 12 of the titles were won by either of these teams, including last 7...each netting 6 NC's. Here are a few more fun facts...

Virg. St.- Has been ranked in the top 3 teams by GUESS ALL 19 SEASONS! 7 of those seasons he started as the #1 team. 16 of those 19 seasons they made Quarters or better, 14/19 Semi's or better, and 7 NC games with 6 wins. He had exactly ZERO #1 recruiting classes...

Valdosta- Since season 68 (1st full season of all my players) have had all teams ranked in top 5 and in top 3 for last 10 seasons. We were also ranked #1 for 7 seasons. 15 of 19 seasons were Quarters or better, 10/19 Semi's or better, and 7 NC games with 6 wins. In that time we had 3 classes ranked #1...

So as you can see...the class you start with according to GUESS isn't always the class you end up with.

Oh...and I am coming for my crown gt_deuce!!!!
Fine, fine... rub my nose in that DL. I severely misplayed that recruiting period, as I tried to battle both for him AND battle - at a distance - with Humboldt State for a good OL. Neither of which I won because of this fallacious strategy. Shoulda just gone for the DL. Now he haunts my dreams.

He was a D-IAA-caliber DL as a recruit! Not to mention STL. With a WE around 60 (right?). I knew exactly what he would eventually become and was very disappointed when I missed out.  Fun story - I landed a STL DL out of NC that same season. He's a SR* on my team now and a monster, himself. The thought of having both those two was very exciting.

I'd better get my act together quickly. I've already lost one game and in a dog-fight today. At this rate, you can just walk up and take the crown and there's nothing I can do about it.
4/23/2013 12:55 PM
Yeah that may have been a bad example. Here's a better example of an OL that started off at OL60 and became OL4 by the time he's done.

It seems like you have been doing just fine w/o Mr. Dodge on the DL!

Well hopefully you get shipped to a different bracket in the playoffs! I won't let you Lou Holtz me!!!!
4/23/2013 2:31 PM
Preseason GUESS rank 11...............finished regular season at ......... 11 . Just sayin!
4/25/2013 4:25 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 3/30/2013 6:47:00 PM (view original):
. And I think we are all in agreement that Bob Hazlewood enriches GD! I wish he had GUESS for Hoops Dynasty!
+1

Perhaps we should start a petition. Bob I will donate if you could make this happen. if only for my Crum world
4/29/2013 12:40 AM
◂ Prev 12
Disparity between GUESS reports and performance Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.