Can Bigs Become More Effective Please? Topic

Posted by tkimble on 4/3/2013 3:35:00 PM (view original):
Your premise that guys like this don't exist is just not true.  I had this guy graduate last year.  Against a top 40 SOS, he scored 25.2 ppg (led the country) on slightly over 50% shooting (I didn't keep his shooting % numbers, but I am pretty sure it was about 51.5%).  On this team, there were 3 freshmen starters, so definitely not a great supporting cast, and we went 23-7, won our division in the ACC, and went to the 2nd round of the NT.  He was 1st-team all-american.  He was dominant for a team starting 3 freshmen, so I'm sure he was getting doubled every single game and still managed to lead a mediocre supporting cast to a 2nd round NT appearance (I was an 8 seed).  I'd say he was pretty damn effective.  
I never said they don't exist, I just said their should be more of them (bigs who score a lot and with efficiency).  I do get all of your points though, and I concede that my guy is as efficient as he should be. I was just thinking the offensive ceiling for a post player is too low, although this player has definitely convinced me that I was wrong. I had never seen a big so efficient and high-scoring.  So I rest my case. 
4/4/2013 1:00 AM (edited)
Posted by m4284850 on 4/3/2013 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tkimble on 4/3/2013 3:35:00 PM (view original):
Your premise that guys like this don't exist is just not true.  I had this guy graduate last year.  Against a top 40 SOS, he scored 25.2 ppg (led the country) on slightly over 50% shooting (I didn't keep his shooting % numbers, but I am pretty sure it was about 51.5%).  On this team, there were 3 freshmen starters, so definitely not a great supporting cast, and we went 23-7, won our division in the ACC, and went to the 2nd round of the NT.  He was 1st-team all-american.  He was dominant for a team starting 3 freshmen, so I'm sure he was getting doubled every single game and still managed to lead a mediocre supporting cast to a 2nd round NT appearance (I was an 8 seed).  I'd say he was pretty damn effective.  
I never said they don't exist, I just said their should be more of them (bigs who score a lot and with efficiency).  I do get all of your points though, and I concede that my guy is as efficient as he should be. I was just think the offensive ceiling for a post player is too low, although this guy has definitely convinced me that I was wrong. I had never seen a big so efficient and high-scoring.  So I rest my case. 
The offensive ceiling for big in RL is too low. Its just the way the game is played. Not enough space on the floor for true post ups. As soon as a big puts the ball on the floor he is going to be double teamed because theres already another defender in his lap. Most of the high scoring bigs now get their points on putbacks, alley-oops, and catch and finish plays not true post ups.
4/3/2013 8:46 PM
Guards dominate in RL college. Because bigs are scarce, most bigs sign at a level higher than their skill warrants. Guys that should be in D2 are playing in low D1. Guys that should be at the lowest level of D1 are at Creighton, etc. Fans watch a game, see a stellar center and exclaim, "Why don't we have one of those guys?" Answer: there are only a handful of "those guys."
4/3/2013 11:27 PM
◂ Prev 12
Can Bigs Become More Effective Please? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.