Lock in ownership Topic

Mike, as usual we'll have to agree to diagree. As you know, I do not trust by default the "new" onwer in current HBD, so...
4/9/2013 11:37 PM (edited)
Just remember, the customer is most certainly not always right. Me included.
4/9/2013 12:37 PM

Well, just let it be known that having people pay for something and then forcing them to live with it just doesn't work.

Say you rent an apartment(we rent spots in HBD leagues).   You sign a 3 month lease(HBD season length).   You move in for three days and find that the hot water doesn't work, the oven has one setting, the neighbors sell crack and, if you're lucky, there isn't vomit on your front door every morning.   You go to the landlord and say "I don't think this is gonna work."   He responds "Tough ****.  You're responsible for paying all three months.  Live here or not, you still pay."  

How do you treat that apartment?

4/9/2013 12:45 PM
Posted by KPMcClave on 4/9/2013 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Not sure of your point, deathinahole. If the rule itself is that you have a 24 hour window for "buyer's remorse" or lack of concentrating enough to pick the right team, then fine. Locied in after that. There is no inconsistency in doing that to address the concern you raised. I'm more apt to take the "tough ****" attitude I take when owners "forget" to proetect their Rule V guys, but I'm willing to compromise.
Then it's not a rule, is my point. It's a willy nilly, I'll enforce it when I think it's appropriate suggestion.

4/9/2013 4:57 PM

Mike, that's not even close to the same thing and I suspect you know that. Nothing happens at all in most cases in the window of time I'm talking about (from rollover to a world filling) that could be equated to the apartment horror story you contrived. Nothing at all much happens period. People aren't leaving because they don't like the world. They've not had the time to even know one way or the other. You're a contrarian to the end.

deathinahole, I'm not sure if you're being intentionally obtuse, but of course it's a rule. If the rule is you have 24 hours to correct a mistake and then you're locked in there is absolutely nothing "willy nilly" about it. It applies the same to everyone. I'm all for locking owners in as soon as they select the team, but your point about a mistake was reasonable, so I offered the compromise. The engine should be "enforcing it." Consistently. That's the suggestion.

I have seen virtually nobody of the type I'm describing who bolts after a day.

4/9/2013 11:46 PM

It's my money and I can spend it wherever I wish.  If I join a world and don;t like the tone on the chat board, don't care for new private world rules that are being proposed, it's taking two months to fill the world, the commish decides to change a private world to public to hasten the filling process, etc...all of those are good reasons to leave a world at a time of my choosing.

Screw locking in.  I'd probably never join a new world if such a rigid rule was adopted. 

4/10/2013 12:29 AM
KPM, you don't think an owner could sour on waiting a month to play?  
4/10/2013 8:43 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/10/2013 8:43:00 AM (view original):
Especially if it turns out the other owners are a bunch of jerks.
4/10/2013 1:05 PM
Rate this suggestion, on a scale of 1 (very bad idea) to 10 (awesome idea)

Votes: 30
(Last vote received: 5/14/2013 6:34 PM)
4/10/2013 1:16 PM
Or how about this situation that would sour an owner and make them leave. You sign up for a public world only to have the commish TC you that you need to change cities and what to name your team because when will fill we will revert back to private world rules. I left the world upon getting that TC. When joining a private world I always ask what the world rules are upfront and then decide if I am going to join. When your public world goes private you lose your ability to screen and inform prospective owners of your league rules.  
4/10/2013 8:08 PM
I was going to join a private world....but I noticed 3 owners left "their" old team to take over teams with much better talent.  This throws a red flag up in my opinion. If owners has their teams for 5 or 6 seasons or more  than bolt to fill open teams with better talent ......  is this a normal thing in HBD?    I mean if they don't like their team after running it for  that long....why go to another team and do the same there.  I think I read a remark from Miket23  about respect and caring about your team and world.  Many owners have been in this world for 15 or more seasons......again I ask    should I be alarmed or give it a shot?
4/11/2013 1:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/10/2013 8:43:00 AM (view original):
I think I'd prefer if you actually read my posts before asking questions.
4/11/2013 1:23 PM
Posted by gbuck41 on 4/11/2013 1:15:00 PM (view original):
I was going to join a private world....but I noticed 3 owners left "their" old team to take over teams with much better talent.  This throws a red flag up in my opinion. If owners has their teams for 5 or 6 seasons or more  than bolt to fill open teams with better talent ......  is this a normal thing in HBD?    I mean if they don't like their team after running it for  that long....why go to another team and do the same there.  I think I read a remark from Miket23  about respect and caring about your team and world.  Many owners have been in this world for 15 or more seasons......again I ask    should I be alarmed or give it a shot?

gbuck, are you refering to guys leaving their team while the world is waiting to fill, or just generally speaking at the end of a season?

Sure, plenty of people move around. Myself included. I have never left one team expressly to take on a "better" one, though. My teams exist in vacuums for me (I leave them when I feel it's time to leave...for whatever reasons, and they are varied).

If you're referring to guys bolting while waiting for the world to fill, the suggestion I proposed is intended to stop just this sort of "grass is greener" bolting,. If people were locked in, the world would fill fatser and they would not get antsy waiting or even see those better teams as options. 

MikeT, because he's just talking and not listening, is advancing the fallacy here that (if my suggestion did what I intend for it to do), worlds would take just as long to fill but you'd be stuck waiting while they did. Logically speaking, that doesn't hold up. In the worlds where I've experienced owner departures of the sort I'm describing, we've wound up in some cases with enough owners to fill all the openings twice by the time we actually get started. How much sooner do you think you'd start if every new guy lowered the number of openings? Worlds fiill more quickly the closer they are to filling.

4/11/2013 1:36 PM
Posted by ratfink99 on 4/10/2013 8:08:00 PM (view original):
Or how about this situation that would sour an owner and make them leave. You sign up for a public world only to have the commish TC you that you need to change cities and what to name your team because when will fill we will revert back to private world rules. I left the world upon getting that TC. When joining a private world I always ask what the world rules are upfront and then decide if I am going to join. When your public world goes private you lose your ability to screen and inform prospective owners of your league rules.  

ratfink, I'm in that world and while I didn't see your sitemail or TC message, I know we all realize, the commish included, that it is only a request that you do what you describe to match the theme. It would be completely in your right to say no.

That world is actually pretty unusual in my experiences, as I haven't been in any other worlds that have an actual theme. Private World Rules are different.

4/11/2013 1:41 PM
With 14 votes in, on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being "horrible idea" and 10 being "terrific idea", this suggestion is currently trending at 1.9.
4/11/2013 1:49 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Lock in ownership Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.