DDL #1 - It's the 80's (full / waiting list) Topic

Be sure to change the headline of this thread to indicate how many spots are left.  People are more likely to join a league that is filling up!
4/14/2013 10:10 AM
will do
4/14/2013 4:00 PM
There are a lot of great player seasons available when you think about the rosters of those 80's teams.  Many guys usually don't get used simply due to lack of 3's. 
Won't be able to load up on eFG and assists as much as usual, but the rosters are gonna look sweet!
4/15/2013 1:44 PM
Ya, I had to change my filters, but the teams will have great rosters. I won't be able to bring a brick wall defense, but there's enough def to still draft a strong defense. No problem with bring a massive offense though. I'll get to use players I really like, that don't work well in other leagues. Time to move out of our comfort zone!!!
4/15/2013 3:39 PM
Parity comes from a number of areas, 1) owner parity, 2) player pool parity and 3) artificial parity by division assignment. Owner parity is natural, expected and desirable. Player parity will be reduced by reduction of player pool size and content. The single instance draft also reduces player parity. That leaves artificial parity by division assignment. I've been looking at divisional assignments lately. SIM loads the weakest teams in a division, the strongest teams in a division, the best defenses in a division and so on. Most likely I'll throw the teams in a hat, shake for awhile and the first six out go in the alantic. High tech, this is not...fair maybe. My intent here is to reduce all but owner parity so the owners skills shine. I know there's nothing I can do about "normalization". Should make for an interesting league though!
4/15/2013 10:22 PM (edited)
Salery cap: $49M

Minumum team minutes: 19,400 total minutes/team (smokey thinks, teams that crash and burn due to fatigue don't help)

i dont care for either of these rules...its a 12 man draft...so really no need for a cap at all...draft the 12 best you can

and its the owners choice to go under 19.4k mins if they want....makes no sense to restrict that....thats gotta go...im out if that stays a rule...of course if you get rid of the cap that wont be an issue anyway
4/16/2013 4:55 PM
OK, I'll pull the minutes rule. I'll need to hear from everyone on the salery cap issue though. My personal opinion is that an unlimited salery cap increases parity and there should be a salery cap with a reasonable limit. Lets comment on the salery cap issue. Thanks dh.
4/16/2013 5:11 PM
NOTICE - as promised, the league is now open to 2 teams/owner, please SM me if you want 2 teams.
4/16/2013 5:45 PM (edited)
I count 13 teams in, 11 to go. With any luck we could start the draft on Mon 4/22
4/16/2013 5:44 PM
OK, I changed the main post to an unlimited salery cap for the time being. I don't think anyone likes dealing with fatigue and this fix's that. I also like the flexiblity in rotation that the extra minutes give a coach. Thanks again for making me think dh. If the league chooses otherwise I will impose a salery cap.
4/16/2013 6:39 PM (edited)

The player searches for the 80's draft are incredible, I love what I'm seeing. I was alittle worried about draft depth until I did some searches, the draft is plenty deep. By going to an "unlimited salery cap" it really gives coach's multiple setup's & rotations. I put together some realistic draft rosters and had trouble going over $80M. I have some realistic rosters that I can't believe how good they are. I think this league will give us fantastic competetion and a great deal of fun. Thanks for coming!

4/16/2013 10:44 PM
I'm neutral on the whole cap thing now really, I could see advantages and disadvantages. I will say an 80M realistic roster sounds a little high though. Maybe like a 60M cap or something just to keep it interesting?
4/17/2013 4:07 PM
Looks we're in a holding pattern due to the "Equal Opportunity League" drafting and keeping owners who would join busy. I''ll see if I can contact a few owners.
4/17/2013 10:03 PM
I'm thinking about 3 designated scrub's. The 3 worse players I can find. They can be used by everyone to fill last 1-3 spots on the roster. This could move the end of the draft along. Personally I like to fill those last spots with highly specialized assassins, but I have seen this idea used effectively in other leagues. Comments?
4/17/2013 10:13 PM

Put me down for 2 teams if that what it takes to get this filled. 
Come on guys.  This is going to be a monumental draft. 
This is the PLATINUM AGE of pro ball.  The Icons, the who's who of all time greats all played in the 80's.
The decade when Cable networks launched the NBA to major sports stardom.
DON'T MISS THIS ONE!

4/19/2013 1:08 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
DDL #1 - It's the 80's (full / waiting list) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.