Does Fatigue ruin the sim? full again Topic

There's been a debate for years as to whether the penalty for fatigue is too weak.  I believe it is, and others like Frazzman80 agree with me.

On the other side are owners who enjoy the way it is set, and believe that it is fair.

Well, I'm setting up a league where we can demonstrate the impacts of fatigue.

It's going to be a 16 team $80m league. 
- No WW, live play, AAA, DH or clones
- IP and PA minimums turned off
- Injuries are on (Note:  If all players are injured, forfeits do not occur.  The sim just leaves the last injured player in the game)
- No stadium restrictions

It's going to consist of two types of teams:  Fatigue teams, and bad teams.

My opinion is that if I build a bad team, it should beat the heck out of a very fatiuged team over a 162 game season.  By the time the all star break rolls around, the fatigued players should be unable to raise their bats to hit or arms to pitch.

But I suspect that it won't be that bad... I think this will be a very competitive league for both sides.

The Fatigue teams need to follow a couple of very simple rules.
- Four Hitters can have up to 400 PA/162.  The rest of the hitters are limited to 250 PA/162 each.  This was an edit from the original rules, as it was found that building a $80m team was nearly impossible..
- 3 pitchers can have up to 125 IP/162.  The rest of the rotation is limited to  75 IP/162 each. 
Assuming you break it down to 13 pitchers and 12 hitters, you're looking at less that 1100 IP and 3500 PA.    Those PA might be incredible, averaging over .400 average... but the guys will fatigue.  You are not limited to a 13/12 breakdown, use whatever you see fit.

The bad teams have a couple of very simple rules as well
- No hitters can have OPS (on base plus slugging) over .700.  That's pretty bad... It will most likely lead to a lot of SB teams, so stock up on A+ arm catchers. 
- No pitchers can have WHIP below 1.40. 

So, we have some tired but elite players going against some (presumably) well-rested but below-average players.  Which is better?

To make it a little more interesting, I'm going to set up the alignment of these teams to offer additional challenges...

We have 4 divisions...
NL East:  Only fatigue teams. 
NL West:  Only bad teams
AL East:   2 fatigue teams and 2 bad teams
AL West:  2 fatigue teams and 2 bad teams.

When you sign up, please tell me what division you want.  

You in? 

I prefer a bad team. BUT I'll just take the last open spot in any category.
4/11/2013 2:52 PM (edited)
IN

NL East:  All fatigue teams
1 Biglenr
2 sjh0825
3 Zephyr1949
4 jpeterson

NL West:  All bad teams
1  Schwarze
2  dilligafdbp
3 blackmin18
4 dhomard

AL East:  Mixed
1 (fatigue) redwingscup
2 (fatigue) batgems
3 (bad)      frazzman80
4 (bad) rbow923

AL West: Mixed
1 (fatigue) Rickeysdad44
2 (fatigue) Thats_nice
3 (bad)    Good_Beer
4 (bad) Dlchow

MLB105088

4/15/2013 10:17 AM (edited)
Sign me up with a bad team and put me in one of the "mixed" Al Divisons...
4/10/2013 11:38 AM
great idea!   I'm in with fatigue team in a mixed division.
4/10/2013 11:46 AM
Sounds like fun.  I'll try to make a "BAD" team into a good team.  Put me in NL West.
4/10/2013 11:55 AM
nice idea. i'll take bad team ALWest
4/10/2013 12:30 PM
I'll go w/ 'bad'...Don't care where you put us...Wherever is best for you/league...

DBP
4/10/2013 12:58 PM
Welcome gents....

I do think this will be a challenging league...

Where are our fatigue fans?  I sitemailed a few of them. 

EDIT>>>>>>>
PA/162 for fatigue teams increased to 250 from 200 after feedback received, evaluated, and agreed to.  200 was a bit too limiting, this will allow people to have up to about 3000 PA/162... Still about 1/3 of what is needed, but it is a bit less of a penalty. 

If anyone wants to change their committment because of this, that is fine. Let me know.

4/10/2013 1:17 PM (edited)
I'll try a fatigue team in a mixed division.
4/10/2013 11:56 PM
Hey, Put me down with a fatigue team in a mixed division...
4/11/2013 12:31 AM
And welcome to rickysdad44 and batgems.

We're now 1/2 full in 24 hours. 

As a heads up... I will be offline from 5:00 pm today until Monday morning.  I'm doing a multi-day kayak fishing trip to try to put a hurting on the spring crappie and maybe even get lucky with some hybrid striped bass. 
4/11/2013 8:38 AM
Posted by biglenr on 4/11/2013 8:38:00 AM (view original):
And welcome to rickysdad44 and batgems.

We're now 1/2 full in 24 hours. 

As a heads up... I will be offline from 5:00 pm today until Monday morning.  I'm doing a multi-day kayak fishing trip to try to put a hurting on the spring crappie and maybe even get lucky with some hybrid striped bass. 
Good luck on the fishing trip (says this envious person). If you get a striper in the kayak I want full details of the fight and how far you were towed around by the fish!
4/11/2013 9:32 AM

Will do... It doesn't take much, even casting crank baits can pull a kayak.  So far, my best sleigh ride has been from a 15lb blue catfish.  One of my buddies caught a "old" red drum about 50lbs last Sept, and it towed him over 2 miles before he and 2 buddies fishing nearby got it landed.

I'll be fishing from an 80lb nucanoe frontier, and I weigh 320 these days, so I don't get the sleigh rides some of the smaller guys in the kayak fishing group do. 

The lake I'm going to is known for having the most 6lb and over bass in NC.  It's also stocked with "wipers", which are white bass/striped bass hybrids.  I'll be doing a float of the Yadkin river (trout and smallmouth waters) on Saturday, and fishing the lake Friday and Sunday.   Last year, we went in May, and the crappie bite was over, but I caught smallmouth, largemouth, yellow perch, huge shellcrackers, and even a carp that was dumb enough to bite a gulp worm.  Glad I caught the carp from the shore, that would have been a ride and a half.

4/11/2013 9:50 AM (edited)
change me to fatigue team, mixed division if possible.
4/12/2013 5:50 PM (edited)
Welcome... Done.
4/11/2013 12:24 PM
123 Next ▸
Does Fatigue ruin the sim? full again Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.