Atlantic 10 Conference Thread Topic

I wanted to try and start this thread for the A10 conference. I'll put in a season preview, some key game recaps, and anything else noteworthy. Anyone else in the conference can also post different things if they want to. I thought this would just be something fun that also may lead to more users joining the conference.
4/10/2013 3:09 PM
I think this is a great idea.Can you do one for the SEC?
4/12/2013 12:08 AM
Dave, sorry but I don't think I'll have the time to keep up with two conferences at once. Perhaps if I someday join the SEC I'll do it, but since I'm in the A10 I'll stick with it.
4/12/2013 10:52 AM
Oh well, thought I'd ask.LOL I will be a follower.....
4/14/2013 11:12 AM
Conference Preview

1. Dayton B+
Raiderguy and the Flyers seek their 11th straight conference championship and 4th NT appearance in 5 years. Led by big man Bobby Wiltse, balanced scoring and solid defense will make it tough for any team to challenge them for the title. 
Ins: B+ Out: B+ Def: A- Reb: A-
2. St. Louis B+
After two rough rebuilding seasons, the Billikens seem to have the best shot at competing with Dayton. Sharpshooter Bradley Singletary coming off the bench boosts an already solid offense that includes Jeremy Jones and Michael Black. Lack of a strong presence on the boards, however, may prevent them from making their first NT appearance in 18 seasons. 
Ins: B+ Out: A Def: B+ Reb: B
3. Rhode Island B
Playmaker John Jeter will need to lead the Ram's youthful team containing 9 underclassmen. Freshman of the year Jerome Gros and Richard Pines provide the Rams with strength on the boards. However, without any post offense, as they must rely on the outside game of freshmen Gilbert Espada and Steven Conyers.
Ins: B- Out: B+ Def: A- Reb: A-
4. Umass B-
Senior big man Sean Bellew will need to lead a young Umass team if they are to compete throughout the season. Also with 9 underclassmen, Umass will need Luis Harris to make an impact after averaging 12.0 pts his Freshman year. 
Ins: B Out: B- Def: B- Reb: B
5. St. Joseph's C+
7 ft. Tyler Gentle dominates the glass and defensive player of the year Steven Kinney provides both offense and defense for St. Joseph's. However, the Senior backcourt duo of Dooley and Cuthbert will determine the success of kjquest's first year with the Hawks. 
Ins: B- Out: B Def: C+ Reb: B-
6. LaSalle C
The Explorers will rely on the inside game of Clarence Reagan and Jonathan Hacklett. LaSalle will need to find an outside scorer to take the pressure off their inside duo, however, if they are to have any success. 
Ins: B- Out: C Def: B Reb: B+
7. Temple C
With only one Senior on the roster, and no dominant scorer, the Owls will rely on defense and a balanced scoring attack to bring them a second conference championship in a row. Lack of a true presence inside will make a repeat extremely tough for this squad however. 
Ins: C+ Out: C Def: B Reb: C
8. Xavier C-
Poor defense and lack of inside scoring may doom this Xavier team still in their rebuilding phase under fatz60. Without a real scoring threat, the Musketeers will need to force turnovers and wear down teams with their full court press, if they are to compete this season. 
Ins: D Out: C+ Def: C- Reb: B-
9. Richmond C-
On a team especially weak on the boards, the Spiders will need to John Jones to be their man inside. Mahn and Peterson will also both need to build off their double digit scoring seasons from last year. 
Ins: B- Out: C Def: C Reb: D-
10. Charlotte C-
Ronald Brown will need to do it all for this 49ers team whose strengths are hard to find. Especially weak on the boards, it will be up to JUCO Clarence Neely to help out inside.
 Ins: C+ Out: C Def: C Reb: C+
11. George Washington D+
Porous defense and no inside presence will make it hard for GW to compete this year. Ellman and Woody, mediocre at best, will have to find ways to help the Colonials compete throughout the season. 
Ins: C- Out: C+ Def: D Reb: D+
12. St. Bonaventure D
Bad defense, no scorers, and only two upperclassmen will most likely lead to another poor season for the Bonnies. It will be up to the two upperclassmen, Meltzer and Tack, to improve the Bonnies' 4-23 record from last season. 
Ins: C- Out: C- Def: D Reb D+
4/14/2013 4:49 PM
Atlantic 10 Preseason All Conference Team
PG: John Jeter SR (Rhode Island)
SG: Michael Back SR (St. Louis)
SF: Ronald Brown SR (Charlotte)
PF: Sean Bellew SR (Umass)
C: Bobby Wiltse SR (Dayton)
4/15/2013 2:18 PM
4/16 Game to Watch:

Rhode Island (0-0)
@Providence (0-0)
Providence favored by 12

In state rivalry kicks off the season as Providence hosts URI. Providence, with big man Arthur Bryner, is the heavy favorite in this matchup. Providence leads matchup 9-8 after a win in their matchup last year. 

Result: Providence 62-53
After cutting the lead to 2 points midway through the second half, Rhode Island is not able to keep up with Providence's elite talent down the stretch. Randy Stuart led all scorers with 22 points on 8-16 shooting. 
4/16/2013 2:31 PM (edited)
4/16 Game of the Day:

George Washington 62-61 over Gardener Webb.
After giving up a late lead, GW is saved by Anthony Duke's tip in with 1 second remaining to win the game. Dukes, playing in his first career game, recorded 4 points along with 5 rebounds in 22 minutes. Jason Newberry led GW with 14 points and 5 assists. 

Player of the Day:
Brent Kelly (Umass) 16pts, 12reb, 3blk in win vs. Alcorn St. 

4/16/2013 2:35 PM (edited)
4/17 Game to Watch:

Dayton (1-0)
@Indiana (1-0)
Dayton favored by 4

The Flyers from Dayton opened the season with a 62 point first half en route to a dominant 103-66 victory over Arizona St.. Indiana gave up a 16 point halftime lead, then hit a half court shot to send the game into overtime, however ended up losing 84-79. The two coaches, raiderguy and coolman, are 9-9 against each other, while Indiana leads Dayton 7-5 all time.

Result: Indiana 89-79
In a tightly contested game, Indiana closes with a 14-3 run to beat Dayton. Indiana's full court press forced 24 turnovers and Joe Upshaw collected 16 rebounds in the Hoosier win. 
4/17/2013 12:25 PM (edited)
4/17 Game of the Day:
St. Bonaventure 63-62 over St. Mary's
After trailing by 6 with a minute remaining, Samuel Eberhardt of St. Bonaventure hit two crucial 3s, including the game winning buzzer beater, to beat St. Mary's. The Bonnies hit 4 of their last 5 three pointers of the game. Before hitting his two late 3 pointers, Eberhardt had gone 1-6 in the game and 3-14 in the season behind the arc. 

Player of the Day:

Luis Harris (Umass) 25pts,  6ast, 5 3pt in win vs. Delaware St. 
4/17/2013 1:00 PM (edited)
4/18 Game of the Day:
St. Louis 69-56 over Kansas St. 
St. Louis goes 9-20 from behind the arc to upset Kansas St. It was a spread out attack with 6 different players hitting 3s from behind the arc. Jeremy Jones added 8 rebounds and 13 points on 5-6 shooting. 

Player of the Day:
Alan Mahn (Richmond) 20pts, 8ast, 3stl, two late game winning free throws in win vs. Samford. 
4/18/2013 8:31 AM
4/19 Game of the Day:
Temple (1-2) 65-60 over Lafayette (2-1)
Temple comes back from an 11 point deficit with 6 minutes remaining to defeat Lafayette. After trailing 54-43, the Owls go on a 22-3 run to seal the game. Temple held Lafayette to 37.5% shooting and also forced 17 turnovers. Matthew Houtz led the Owls with 16 points. 

Player of the Day:
Richard Woody (George Washington) 19pts, 6-7FG, 6reb in win vs. Sacramento St. 
4/19/2013 2:22 PM
4/21 Game of the Day:
St. Louis (4-1) 77-71 over CCSU (1-3) 
St. Louis continues their fast start by holding off Central Connecticut State in overtime. Despite being out rebounded by 12, St. Louis used strong defense to defeat CCSU, holding them to 37% shooting. Michael back led the game with 20 points for the Billikens. 

Player of the Day:
Thomas Swanberg (Xavier) 21pts, 7reb, 2blk in loss vs. Ohio St. 

4/21/2013 6:47 PM (edited)
4/22 Game of the Day:
Dayton (3-3) 73-70 over Air Force (3-3)
Samuel Tucker dropped 20 and Dayton held off Air Force to improve their record to 4-3. Senior Bobby Wiltse got into foul trouble and only played 14 minutes, but Michael Oliver stepped up and collected 11 rebounds off the bench. It was a close game throughout, as no team had a lead greater than 6 points, but Dayton pulled off the win after Stubblefield's late 3 missed with 3 seconds to go. 

Player of the Day:
Jason Newberry (George Washington) 15pts, 7ast, 2stl in win vs. Charleston
4/22/2013 2:44 PM
4/25 Game of the Day:
Dayton (5-5) 72-69 over E. Carolina (7-3)
After Samuel Tucker fouled out, William Forth stepped in and hit the game winning 3 with 5 seconds to go. Tucker led the Flyers with 18 points while Wiltse dropped 12 and collected 15 rebounds. 

Player of the Day:
Bobby Wiltse (Dayton) 12pts, 15reb, 5-7FG
4/25/2013 9:16 AM
123 Next ▸
Atlantic 10 Conference Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.